What do you need to know re. Rebuilding a RS 200 engine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sprinter, Feb 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #1 Sprinter, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks for looking,
    just bought an old Sprint RS 2000 engine, mine is 34600 and I thought I could strip and rebuild.
    If any one has any advice or imfo on rebuilds I would appreciate any heads up.
    Any tools you find useful or definatly need.workshop tips an stuff
    I ordered micrometer and vernier so far...

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer!!o_O

Sorry jtd, that isn't really helpful, is it? :oops:

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Steve ,what would be helpful, is if you keep my hammer for me. then I wont be tempted when I get stuck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Ah ... good point!!:)

I do have a Yorkshireman's Tweezer here if you think it may be useful to you (5lb lump hammer!).

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #5 Sprinter, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Dont have the engine yet, its on its way
    over the past 2 years I have rebuilt my bike and all thats left is the engine and electrics.

As much as anything else this is about me wanting to rebuild an engine.

I will be going slow and learning as I go. I rekon it is going to be around 700 pounds all in dont know what liners and pistons will look like. good advice getting the head skimmed thank you
    dont know whether to swap engine and have the benefit of testing the new one, also, this means I will rebuild the matching engine,(to frame)
    This is my one bike and I would like to keep it on the road while also having the other hobby of building in the shed Im starting to build up spare parts and as I move on I may decide to build second bike,frame for 100 on ebay.
    I have a couple of torque wrenches up to 140 I think, Teng tools.

Probably need pullers,

I have a haynes and a workshop manual, and with a spare engine, I can take my time and move forward slowly, so this is good news for,my wallet and my stress levels
    my bike is 34600 and running like a swiss watch, the spare engine is 25000,
    reading this back it sounds weird, to rebuild a healthy engine, only,I cant afford new bike and this way I end up with a new engine, and I learn something in the process .

So far with new bearings, rebuild calipers, master cylinders powder coatings new panels discs pads and various bits and pieces I could not recoup my money.
    I will end up with a new, (in all but name,) bike

• Like Like x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Good luck - hope it goes well.

7. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    You could go on Clive Woods course. the early RS and the t3 are not so dissimilar and many things cross over. You would find it a big advantage before you attempt if yourself. He shows you many shortcuts and gives loads of info.
    There is a course this weekend 20th Feb.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Anyone know where I can get complete gasket set for RS 955i 2000?

9. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Try www.triumphparts.gbr.cc aka Sprint Manufacturing or a dealer such as Jack Lilley or World of Triumph (their website shows all the various bits and pieces in the 'parts' section schematics for each model - but the part numbers listed are not necessarily actual Triumph part nos although, apparently, they become genuine nos. when added to your 'cart'), or indeed any dealer who has a mail order service.
    I have a feeling that most gaskets/seals will have to be ordered individually, apart from Sprint's advertised sets.
    I've been wrong before though!!:oops:

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I have a feeling that most gaskets/seals will have to be ordered individually, apart from Sprint's advertised sets.
    I've been wrong before though!!:oops:[/QUOTE]

Yes Mr Goolie I think your right about buying separately Ive been researching and cant find set, cheers.