What are your Upgrades/Maintenance PLANS for 2017

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by R_1000, Mar 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #1 R_1000, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Right...People

What are your upgrade/Maintenance plans for your beloved Speed Triple for this year 2017 :)

Mine: 2011 Speed Triple with 11,000 on the clock

Maxton front kit + RT10 Rear Unit
    Carbon Tail light Surround
    Carbon side tank panels
    Carbon headlight bowls
    Evotech Tail Tidy
    Remove Exhaust headers and polish
    Dyno time for Custom Map
    Valve clearance check

**Wanted to lower the bike but decided against it because concerned about handling issues & having to shorten the side stand etc :oops:. Sometimes this Red mist comes out of nowhere and your are dragging pegs. I don't want to jeopardise the handling in any way. I can just about get the balls of my feet on the ground without having to shift my bum :rolleyes:. If I slide a little I can firmly plant one foot on the ground. I wrote a lengthy email to my parents demanding them to give me an explanation as to why am I only 5"6 (maybe 5"6 is a little exaggeration, I think I am somewhere between 5"5 - 5"6) :mad:....Did you fail to feed me:mad:

So far maintenance done on Speed Triple:
    OEM Suspension set for my riding style
    November 2016: Clive Wood did the Rear wheel hub removal & grease, Suspension linkages removal & grease, OEM Air filter, New Spark Plugs, New brake pads (front & rear), Oil & Filter changed, Arrow Lowboy Tune uploaded (as this was the closest map available for my GPR can)

So hopefully if everything falls into plan then it will be a sweet run;). Maybe this might even get dragged into 2018:rolleyes:

If my Mrs find this thread I will have some serious explanation to do about the expenses :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On the Tiger this year I will be :

1. Checking/changing the cam chain tensioner and guides;

2. Valve clearances;

3. New plugs, airfilter, fuel filter, modifying airbox, optimising AIT;

3. New back tyre;

4. Refurbish brake calipers and install new pads.

5. Install new exhaust pipe;

6. Remove French power limiter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^ Nice.

I am not confident enough to attempt valve clearances. Near the time I will need to try source a reputable mechanic

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Wife/ lose some weight

• Like Like x 4
  5. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^ Crispey....You live in SW London and ride a Triple. You shouldn't have a problem with either of those :eek:. Should be a walk in the park for you;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ali G

Ali G Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Kirkcaldy
    This year get the bike serviced and the suspension set up, possibly short levers fitted. Got the can and tail tidy on already so it's all really about putting some miles on it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Mines all done, serviced, all updated parts fitted. now im just gonna ride and enjoy this year.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Yeah, ok Tony. :D
    Bet before the summers out, you will have found another aftermarket part to fit. ;)

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  9. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #8 MickEng, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Bonnie EFI 2012
    1) New set of tyres for the spring.
    2) Fit rubber tank pads
    3) Maybe bar end mirrors (can't make my mind up on them yet)
    6) 12k service to do in 5k miles time (that should be this summer)
    7) Extended seat bolts (quick removal)
    8) Fit push button to starter motor armature (overrides 'flattish' battery problem in cold weather)
    9) Replace centre stand spring (since fitting new Hagon rear shocks, stand bounces a bit when hitting speed bumps)
    10) Fit independent headlamp switch. (Turn headlamp off in cold weather to assist starting)
    11) Brake pad renewal as reqd. (Recently fitted EBC HH pads front and rear so it will be interesting to see how long they last)

Now wether I get all that list completed due to the fact that I want to ride it more than tinker will wait to be seen.
    But the essentials will get done, tyres and 12k service plus clean/polish most lunch times at work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Top priority job for you R-1000 is to fit a longer bolt through the bracket on your quickshift mechanism to engage with the Nyloc nut.
    If that nut flies off your bike when riding you could take somebody's eye out.
    I am expecting the remedial work to be completed this weekend! lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Will you be going to Clive?

12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    New back tyre, bar end mirrors, lots of s(miles)

• Like Like x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Can I practice on it before I do mine ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Most likely for Valve Clearance as I can watch and learn. He is happy to explain and show you the ropes. Clive said not to worry about it until around 13k

• Like Like x 1
  15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Yes. Clive is happy to let people watch. The more you are interested the more in depth he will explain things he's doing. Great for people like yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  16. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Yes that's my 1st priority tomorrow evening :D. I got a longer one that came in the original packaging.

As I am going to remove the rear fairing to solder some wires, I am thinking whether I should get a Evotech Tail tidy (if I order it today, I will get it for tomorrow) and fit it on. I have the Triumph LED indicators and want to make sure it will fit the tail tidy and that it will sit straight and flush....Not Wonky:rolleyes:

At the moment this is how the rear of my bike looks. The indicators wouldn't fit through the hole and I had to use spacers to fit them with a longer bolt. Sometimes the indicator will twist upwards or downwards :eek: not by much, just minor...marginally. But it still does move!!

rsz_20160923_085724.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    The last time I was with him, he taught me a lot. And me.....I am going to need all the help I can get. Once my brother bought a banger XJ600 for £200 (I think). We took the engine apart and for the life of me, I could not put it back together for months. The funny thing is even though I put it back together, we never had the opportunity to test it because none of us wanted to get on the bike and be a guinea pig :rolleyes:. It ended up being scrapped with the house move n all

• Like Like x 1
  18. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    You could probably do it with your eyes closed :rolleyes:

For some of us it would be a miracle even if we managed to locate the right tools :rolleyes: and then figuring out what the hell to do with it

19. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I spoke to Evotech performance and they confirmed the fitting would be fine and it will sit straight. So just ordered it.

I shall get on with the fixing tomorrow :)........Pictures to follow ;)

If anyone has a better instructions, would you be kind enough to share it with me please :)

20. 711jrp

711jrp Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    south london
    Indicators! indicators!! we don't need no stinking indicators !!! I fitted this on mine.....

• Like Like x 2
  21. PaulSpeedTrip

PaulSpeedTrip Member

Aug 7, 2016
    South Yorkshire
    I get to ride a BMW S1000RR at work and have fallen in love with the quickshifter. I never thought I would be that bothered about it or use it much, but it's cracking.
    I'm going to try and source one for my Speed Triple R (2016). Was hoping to drop on a 2nd hand one off someone that had one fitted as an optional extra but can't get on with it....if anyone knows of anyone?!
    The beemer's shifter goes up and down the gears, where I believe the SP3R is just up, but want one anyway