Wet weather riding

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Creaky, Jun 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Be interested to know what other riders use in the way of gloves during wet weather.

I have a pair of Goretex Biker gloves which are a few years old but generally keep out water but fill up quickly if the rain runs down my sleeves and into the gloves! The cuffs are quite large so its quite a faff to fit them inside my sleeves. Even if the gloves are dry putting wet hands into gloves with liners is a real pain as your fingers don't slide in so easily and makes routine stops for fuel, comfort breaks or whatever quite difficult.

Once the gloves are wet after a thorough soaking (as per last weekend) they then need a day or two to dry out so restricting riding opportunities.

Do others carry/own spare gloves or are there better products on the market these days?

Be grateful for any advice.

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have a pair of Goretex winter gloves which so far have remained waterproof but do need drying out after a good soaking.
    I usually take two pairs if going away - riding with wet, cold hands is no fun.
    Have not yet tried it but have heard that wearing a pair of latex work gloves as liners will keep you dry and warm as an emergency measure even if your gloves are wet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If one exists, I would buy a cuff that would prevent run off from the sleeve flowing into the glove.

That feeling when after driving on the motorway in the rain and then you slow down and brake at your exit only for all that water on your sleeve that was held back by the air flow to run down and stream into your gloves, you can feel the chill as it soaks round the inner lining and you know that they will then have to be put on the boiler with kitchen or news paper stuffed inside them overnight:(

I personally carry a spare pair of spare 'cheap' winter gloves in my bag if I get soaked on an 'outward journey'

I find even tucking the gloves inside the sleeve just delays the inevitable and water eventually gets inside.
    We need some sort of elasticated membrane that goes over the cuff of a glove but pulls snug against the sleeve to make a better fit.

Don't get me started on the neck, I am still waiting for a waterproof scarf or buff o_O

4. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Cheers RT
    I think spare unlined gloves will be the answer as trying to sort overlaps is a pain. I wear glasses as well so they present another problem in the rain. I wear an open face helmet most of the time with goggles but at the weekend my goggles were filling up in front of my eyes through the ventilation slots!

5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Spot on Ade, i never used to put my gloves under my jacket and they would always get soaked, until i started putting them under my jacket and suddenly they stayed dry all the time :) Nowadays i never go out if it's raining if i can help it, i find thats the best way to keep dry and safe! :D

• Like Like x 5
  6. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    For the summer I bought a pair of Held Wet and Dry gloves. They have two compartments. One with a gortex lining for when it rains and the other which allows the air to reach your hands via perforations and vents to keep your hands cool in hot weather. I haven't used then in the rain yet but the reviews I read look promising.

image.jpeg

https://www.motocard.com/en/gloves/...227&size=8/M&gclid=CKDi35y3p80CFQhuGwodzzgGBg

7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Held are great gloves i was going to get the wet and dry glove but as i already have a goretex winter glove i went for the held titan ( definate summer gloves & not waterproof) it has the kangaroo leather also which is really soft and gives you great feel on the bars..it also has some Stingray leather in it too o_O

8. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

I like the Richa's. Have a pair of waterproof Gortex lined and a summer pair. Both good at keeping your paws dry. BTW I got a top tip about re-waterproofing Gortex. Get them nice and warm on the inside its dry. Tried it on a walking jacket and it worked fine so I guess it should work with gloves but never tried it.
    After your gloves are dry, use a hairdryer of something blowing inside to get the inner surfaces nice and warm, not hot to the touch, apparently this kind of refreshes it's waterproof features by decompressing the fibres or something. Never don't use direct heat on the outside as it will damage the material and don't try to rush the drying process though.

9. Tallulah

Tallulah Member

Dec 30, 2015
    County Durham
    #9 Tallulah, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    I use waterproof over mitts. Thin. Flexible. Tight around the cuffs and go over both the gloves and jacket. Never ever get wet hands.

10. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    If caught out get a couple of plastic bags ( or keep a couple on the bike ) and put them over your gloves.
    Heated grips also help in wet weather too. Stops your hands getting too cold and cramping.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Used to carry some surgical gloves myself , same idea. They fit over most summer gloves as long as you use Large ones of course.
    Winter gloves put them on first and put your heated grips on. Worked well for me.
    The carrier bags was a if you were caught out idea. I poke the thumb through thou. Keeps you drier than not having anything