Wet Sumping

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Iron, Jan 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iron

Iron Guest

#1 Iron, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2021
    Ah, that old age problem for the Coventry/Meriden Riders. I'm sure you Hinckley/Thailand lot (I may become one, one day, just for the easy ride and electric start - but only a carbed version) have your own problems.

You wake up one morning, decide to go for a poodle around, and a gallon of oil is on the floor, coming out of the zorsts or out of the breather. Bugger.

aaar.jpg

You wrestle out the sump plug and, hey ho, the whole oil tank is in the sump. Here's a whole 4 pint plastic bottle full supplied directly from the sump - less the oil on the floor.

So, I thought I'd do a check list for starters, for those Chaps and Chapesses with the same issues. And for the in house experienced among us to add to and therefore get a pretty extensive list for a DIY approach to fixing and/or finding the problem/s.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Iron

Iron Guest

This is the cause for the mess above (just in case you were wondering) - it's the dismantled oil pump - can you spot the problem?

aaas.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Not competent but would say the broken spring

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Iron

Iron Guest

Correct! Rounds of applause, and also that relief inside that you've found the problem, here's some more:

Wet Sumping - possible causes - check list

The oil pump has two different sized pistons driven by the inlet cam shaft. The feed piston is smaller than the return piston so there is always more oil pumping back to the oil tank than being delivered. This is why, when you look into the oil tank, the oil is pulsing, it's continually emptying the sump down to the bottom of the scavenge pipe and running out of oil to pump. When the sump fills up a bit more then the return pumps a bit more. The sump will, therefore, only be filled to the bottom of the scavenge pipe - which is about 100cc. (I think this is about 4 ounces).

Have you recently carried out some work on the bike - the problem is probably related to what you've done, think it through while running down the following list:

Majority of causes fall on the oil pump:

Have you replaced the pump recently with a cheap one - the original Triumph pumps were good enough to race with and were designed by people much cleverer than us so they are good enough for us, stick with the good make ones or go for a Morgo pump (you don't need the rotary one by the way).

Is there lodged material under a check ball - take the pump apart, inspect and clean it. Check all parts, reassemble as required and test with your finger covering the holes one at a time making sure you get a squirt of oil when you push/pull the pistons (mind where you are looking when doing this as the oil will squirt into your eye before you can blink - yes exactly :cool:)

Is the oil pump seated properly against the crankcase - on older models, the butterfly valve and spring oil breather on the end of the inlet cam must be in correctly. If not the cam pin driving the pump's pistons will be too far out and not allow a seal against the crankcase.

Is the oil seal against the crankcase in good condition and not allowing oil leaks.

Blockages:

Obviously blockages will not aid circulation so be careful with those gasket sealers when reassembling the engine or casings. There's a lot of materials out there now particularly silicon based stuff. These will squeeze into the engine just as much as the amount you wipe away on the outside. If this dislodges and gets in amongst the oil ways it's gonna do more harm than good.

Start at either end of the oil system and work your way through to make sure all oilways are clear and clean:

t100-oil-system.jpg

This is a 500cc machine but the oil system is just about the same on all Triumph twins, work your way through the whole system

• Like Like x 5
  5. Iron

Iron Guest

#5 Iron, Jan 7, 2021
    Normally the issue will be on the return side so start there:

Is the scavenge pipe being restricted by the sump plug? Have you removed the seal from the sump plug thereby letting the plug screw just that bit further onto the scavenge pipe. Stick some blue tack into the sump plug and check for indentations - careful as you don't want to block the whole thing up with blue tack.
    Is the sump plug mesh blocked up with 'orrible stuff (like silicon or blue tack :eek:).
    Is the sump plug mesh too fine - I believe 1960 and 1968 machines had that issue.
    Is the scavenge pipe too long - if you've just replaced it, maybe it's not seated correctly or has it become loose (this would also cause a leak).

Check the oil way from the scavenge pipe to the pump (do this with the pump off). Attach a rubber pipe to the scavenge pipe and blow the oil line through.
    You can also hold your finger over the appropriate hole on the pump side and suck on the pipe, put your tongue over the end of the pipe and hold the vacuum. If there's a leak it will not hold the vacuum.

Use the same blow through from the pump to the return block under the engine (obviously you've removed the oil lines).

Blow through the oil lines. You can check the oil delivery to the rockers while you're at it

Clean the oil tank out and ensure the vent pipe isn't blocked.

Check the delivery system in the same way while you are doing it.

Check the Oil Pressure Relief Valve - is it all blocked up, is the piston moving freely against the spring, if in doubt, get a new one. These aren't cheap, again buy a decent one.

Are your oil lines connected correctly. Check your parts catalogue and maintenance manuals to ensure you have them the right way round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iron

Iron Guest

#6 Iron, Jan 7, 2021
    Leaks:

Some older (and newer shoddy 70s workmanship) have porous crankcases. However, these should have gone into the scrap yard years ago by now but you never know, it may be older damage (slack/broken chains etc years ago wearing into cases) that has raised it's ugly head to bite.

Plug of oil way (part number E4539) not sealing:

E4539 plug.JPG

Build up of pressure:

New big bore kits, new barrels, re bores, pistons, rings will take some miles to bed in. Chrome rings take longer than iron rings to seal. This allows pressure from the compression and ignition to make it's way into the sump and expels that pressure out of the oil breather.

This normally makes it's way to the 'froth' tower on the oil tank or all over the back wheel. Or onto the floor if you've binned the long breather pipe. You can channel this into a makeshift bottle to collect the coffee looking frothy oil or (as HD users do) send it straight back into the oil tank. This should stop after the rings are bedded in.

I'm sure they'll be some things I've missed, and some disagreements, please add them.

Hopefully this and comments below can be used to allow those new to this erm... annoying little issue with the older Triumph twins to again ride their steed with that warm glow of satisfaction that they are not riding a.......

Good luck Gang

• Like Like x 2
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

EASY :)

It’s in bits :joy::p

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Funny had several units and pre unit Triumphs and never had that problem yet my Trident sufferers this, and it has a new rotary pump with an in line ball valve and I have cleaned the whole system and reseated the ball valve, and it still drains into the sump, so I gave up and fitted a tap to the oil line...a bit of a risk but its something you just don't forget to turn on/off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    In my experience the piston type pumps in the meridien triumphs rarely suffered from wet sumping, BSA's and velos were the usual suspects because they use gear pumps and oil easily leaks past.
    I have seen many methods to overcome this problem, taps and valves in the feed line etc.
    I have even seen a micro switch linked into the ignition circuit...the bike won't start unless the valve is open and "making" the switch.
    Velocette used to fit an inline spring loaded ball valve into the feed pipe as standard, you just have to hope it doesn't stick closed as gear pumps have little or no suction capability......if it does....goodbye engine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Yeah, basically relies on the oil mass above the pump which is half the problem with the leaking, I always run an oil pressure gauge so no or low pressure and its engine off, the std ball valve is actually just before the pump in the engine case on the Trident.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I agree with Iron what he explains is spot on, I originally served my time on British Bikes especially Triumphs, the standard oil pumps are fairly robust you have to remember a lot of oil pumps are the original ones, just think how many times those plungers go up and down over the years, as well as the drive block (slider), what also takes place is wear on the drive block, the oil pump body not to mention the ball valve springs, if you measure the drive block against the feed and scavenge plungers you will see just how much wear there is, renewing the main oil pump components will not alleviate the problem, renewing the oil pump is the way forward, the Morgo oil pump is excellent, it only takes microscopic particles to restrict the pump, original rubber oil lines break down internally and find their way into the engine via the oil pump. When Triumph raced their machines they were heavily modified and well documented today. I had a conversation with a well known Triumph development engineer last year regarding the race bikes, from the conversation I obtained a very informative book not only about the race bikes but the Triumph development and engineers who brought this about, I know this is digressing however the race team suffered some major engine failures, these where sorted however. A carefully built engine wont leak oil or wet sump, the modern materials we have now are fantastic, I know these come at a cost but in my humble opinion they are worth it. When I recently restored a 1956 T100 I sourced and used modern components, the clutch alone was almost £600, it ran faultless and was one finger operation for the lever, the old saying runs true today "you only get what you pay for". I left the trade and qualified in a completely different career. Ride safe all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Iron

Iron Guest

I go along with everything Iceman, Speeder and Tricky say.
    Also an oil light/gauge is the best investment for an old Triumph - I ALWAYS include one or the other on all my re-builds or customs builds. (I learned this the hard way when I detonated an A75 - the real rocket three - engine in one of my first chops).
    See the little red light built into the frame? The only idiot light you need on a Trumpet.

aaai.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Iceman You should give setting up a Trident clutch a go....22 thou to full disengagement...takes hours with a dial and feeler gauge to set up.:weary_face:

I have two gauges on my Trident one direct from the plain bearing on the crank and one from before......me paranoid mind you, an oil pressure gauge and an idiot light have saved one of my 2JZ Supra engines so belt and braces after that I fitted a buzzer too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Iron

Iron Guest

That's a very fine bike you have there Tricky. Two gauges, a light AND a buzzer! Blimey. Belt and 3 sets of braces.

I can't say I blame you though, those triples are a bugger to set up and expensive when they let go. The engine seized on mine just as I was passing a bus, the centre big end came out the crank case and the rev counter drive shot off somewhere never to be seen again. But it rolled nicely to a stop once the bus full of shouting kids undertook me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I like the look of that....think l will have a go at fitting one to my old BSA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Sorry it was the Supra that had the super bright LED and a buzzer not the Trident ...and they cost even more to fix than any Trident.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Iron

Iron Guest

Still, good idea to have loads of warnings against a pressure drop on whatever you've got.

These are 5 quid - that's a nicker each. Proper bright too. I stick them into the top of the headlight (there's a convenient pre drilled hole in the top of a small Bates style)

s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #18 Iceman, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    That's pretty cool Tricky I like your machine, great job. I used a DTI when I set the clutch up, it was one that SRM do themselves, I will upload some pictures of her finished, although I posted some on a different thread.

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  19. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Tricky, here is a Trident at the Classic TT a couple of years back, it went well in the race and never broke down, it had a lot of trick bits in the engine. Have a guess at who made the frame.

IMG_0275.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I know, I know,,,,,,,,but I’ll not spoil it for you @Iceman;)

Same bike at the Classic TT on the parade lap 2013:cool:

upload_2021-1-12_14-50-32.jpeg

• Like Like x 3