Wet crotch again!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Richard H, Aug 17, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I am now officially sick of trying to find reasonably priced waterproof riding kit.
    I've tried two makes now both bought through J & S Accessories, first IXS suit leaked through the front jacket zip, took it back and complained and bought a RST Paragon jacket and trousers.
    RST Paragon IV Black Textile Motorcycle Trousers - Free Delivery
    Rode just half an hour in the rain today and you guessed it a wet crotch (and no I had not pissed myself)
    I can not afford Rukka prices so has anyone had any success with so called water proof textile riding kit? Think I will just go back to wearing leathers and put cheap over-trousers and jacket over

2. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    There is a reason why J&S sell cheap kit.

I had a Weise suit for five years until it wore out, never a leak.

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Was hoping spending £400 plus on jacket and trousers would not be considered buying 'cheap' kit but perhaps you are right....

4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
  5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    A mate has the Halvason gear and said even that leaked on a very wet Euro tour.

The only thing I've found that keeps me dry is a Richa over-suit only trouble is its a ball ache to put on over your gear and is also fluorescent yellow so I look like a high vis 6' 3" knob wearing it.

6. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Richard, i have Rukka and even that leaked in the knee area until i sorted it under warranty. Some professional motorbiking contacts even joked it wouldn't be long before i would be wearing a one piece over suit over the rukka kit! Anyway, mine is fine now and TBH still looks as good as new (6yrs old) so i can vouch for quality material however..... the Halvarssons as Steve suggested is also excellent, a bit cheaper and with some friendly recommendations I would probably buy that next time over Rukka.

If the jacket you have is doing the job and based upon the amount of time you spend in the saddle, have you considered perhaps investing in the rukka/halvarssons trousers (having got your money back) and running with a mix of kit? won't look overly gucci but might solve the damp crotch and looking like a 6'3 hi viz nob in one go!!;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Appleby, Cumbria

Correction. High vis 6' 3" DRY knob. Way better than any old wet knob

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Appleby, Cumbria
    Also I've taken to just wearing leathers and got a spada oversuit for 49.99. Waxy coat all inside and the reverse side of the stitches and zips is all rubberised. The front zip goes down to the knee on the right leg. Easy enough to get in and out over leathers. I've not been in torrential rain yet but it's worked ok so far. I'll let you know when I get piss wrapped in it. Riding to the Le Mans 24 hour race in September so I'll get back to you after that.

9. 2wheeledant

2wheeledant Member

Aug 10, 2014
    South Shields
    Never any problems with Alpinstars Drystar & a good priced suit

10. Speedy Stripler

Oct 3, 2013
    West Midlands
    I've had Hein Gericke goretex kit for the last seven years and it's never let me down yet. Time has come to get something new and I was really impressed with the Havarssons kit but found the arms too bloody long on the jackets, tried dome Rukka, it fits really well so a two piece set is now on order.

Try these guys out, they have plenty of choice including Halvarssons and Rukka and many more.

Motorcycle accessories & motorcycle clothing - by Moto Essentials

• Like Like x 1
  11. Holly2506

Holly2506 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Newport, South Wales
    I bought extremely cheap wet weather gear and i absolutely swear buy it. The set I bought are the Richa Rain warrior trousers and jacket for £50 from sports bike shop (ride recommended).
    I actually had to pull to the side of the m4 during a flash flood and was stuck in rain for about 35 mins just waiting for the motorway river to dispurse, very scary. These beauties kept my bone dry and not only that because they are very light i find in summer im not sweating my nuts off...I would recommend these to everyone. Excellant and cheap. *****

• Like Like x 2
  12. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I've got Hein Gericke gortex jacket and trousers but still put a cheap oversuit on over the top.

If it's to hot for goretex then I take the oversuit to put on over leathers.

It's the cheaper option.

• Like Like x 1
  13. andy d

andy d New Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I have a set of Rukka Armas waterproofs and the first time out in heavy rain it felt like I was sitting in the bath. Needless to say they are back at the dealers waiting for a verdict on their colander like properties.
    Not what I expected from waterproofs that cost almost as much as my trials bike.
    At least I have been provided with a loan set pending the result of their tests.
    And to make matters worse my mate has the same clobber and his are also at the dealers for the exact same reason. My wife did laugh as she remained bone dry in her £80 Frank Thomas trousers.
    Less is sometimes more eh?

14. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
  15. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    #15 Richard H, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Cheers Hedgehog I did buy the Revit Rain suit after seeing your test with the jet wash. Trouble is I bought the high vis version and with me being 6'3"tall and 18stone do look a bit of a knob wearing it lol.

It is waterproof but as I don't like the look I only wear it when it's monsooning it down.

Just be nice to have riding gear that you can wear all the time that's comfortable and waterproof if it rains mid ride without having to stop and wrestle into a full over suit.

16. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Yes, well that is supposed to be what you do get with Textiles so I can understand where you are coming from...they should do just that, shouldn't they?

In terms of value for money Weise are very good - The Dynastar Evo Jacket is very well priced, or there's the Bora, which we are testing now. Weise guarantee is very good too.

Hein Gericke used to make (IMHO) the best value genuinely waterproof trousers but they are sadly no more.

You can match the Weise jacket with Dynastar II Jeans or - a bit better quality - their Titan sport.

If they do leak you'll get either a replacement or your money back. I've never had any trouble with either.

HH

PS let us know how you get on.

HH.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SimonST3

SimonST3 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Ross on Wye, UK
    I've got Halverssen Zen trousers and a Lindtrands Graffiti jacket. Neither have let me down in two years. Not leaked at all and yet to be cold in them.