Well Maintained Roads

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bikerman, Jun 10, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    #1 Bikerman, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 11:09 PM
    OK here's an idea, how about you post pictures of the excellent roads we have here in the UK, that we are privileged to have to pay £93 a year to use.
    I thought I'd start the ball rolling with some local roads round our way, to be fair the council have diversified, and put circles round the holes, this is so you can play hop scotch, while you wait for a tow truck if your suspension should give up. IMG_20210610_152808.jpg IMG_20210610_152909.jpg
    IMG_20210610_152752.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    They done that one year on the road I live on, but they only marked the worst holes. That night I went for a walk with a big can of yellow paint and marked loads more holes for them... a few weeks later the whole road was resurfaced :grinning:

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bikerman

Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Brilliant idea, I'm off to B&Q. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    wtf mate…. There are loads of examples around here as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes pathetic here the same. At the same time they are spending thousands on the m4 to install signs and camera's. Its a joke. I was over in Northern Ireland couple of weeks ago and it was a pleasure to ride on the roads there.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    we pay a fuel tax for roads here, how do you pay the 90 pound in rego fees or a fee on its own

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Bikerman

Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    VED, vehicle exise duty. Pay on line, or at the post office. That give you legal access to ride on what laughingly passes as a road. I've been on better roads in the Australian outback.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You can report pot holes to your local council online. You need to tell them what road they are on and where so "outside 20 Acacia Avenue Anytown" for example. They will then get repaired. Once they have been reported, the local council becomes liable for any damage/accident claims. A couple of years ago me and the wife drove down a few local roads and made notes of the positions of about twenty pothole locations. They all got repaired. Thing is, the next winter, most of the repairs just crumbled away.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Not Well Known Member
    Subscriber

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Bikerman

Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    We know the chap who lives within 150 yards of the Hop scotch play area, and according to him, he emails the council every day. Yesterday, bodge it and scarper road maintenance crew turned up again to do a not worth doing patch up job. They'll be back again in a few months time to bodge it up again. Not their fault I know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Fix my street is a good way to report appealing road surfaces. Being retired I spend many happy hours photographing pot holes and reporting it.

Alfie

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. johne

johne Senior Member

Bring back the Romans! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Here in the ‘States I’d have to look for a third or fourth tier road tucked away in a remote mountain valley here (Tennessee) to get a road that bad! Shocking how the councils there don’t mind taking your money, but let things like that go. Mind you, here isn’t much better as far as the aging infrastructure. We recently had a huge bridge closure on one of the major interstate bridge crossings over the Mississippi River, the inspection revealed imminent failure and the inspector demanded immediate closure, not later, not some convenient time, but as they stated, “this is about to fail, get traffic off it now!” If it had collapsed and sent people into the water, I guess someone at the Fed level would have offered thoughts and prayers, whatever that is worth!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    I like your last sentence. 'Thoughts and prayers' also seem to appear in abundance every time some nutter goes berserk with an automatic weapon. They never seem to do much good though. I think the power of prayer is rather overrated in these situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Not to derail a thread, but the reliance on praying for anything has never been my style. Never. If anything the way our forefathers prayed to the likes of Odin, Freya, etc. then went out and made their own destiny splitting skulls and sailing into the unknown seems like what we need more of these days. I dare say the “modern” human couldn’t be bothered to do much of anything these days that is an inconvenience. Sorry, rant over.

17. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Not sure I agree that splitting skulls is 'what we need more of these days.' Although come to think of it, I can suggest a few candidates...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1