Well Known Bikers Cafe Disaster

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by DCS222, Mar 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

2. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Just heard about it as well and photos showing the whole roofs gone
    They’ve had no luck recently they had to just about close last summer when their water supply dried up
    Let’s hope they get sorted as it’s the North’s Ace Cafeand a great place to go on 2 wheels

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:( Just heard about this from a biker mate
    Bummer :(

4. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Sad news indeed. Top spot that.

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just seen the pictures via HTOC Facebook page. Whole roof gone - what a shame hope they can reopen.

6. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hartside Cafe on A686 near Alston destroyed by fire
    Fire crew had to follow snowplough to safely reach scene on Hartside Pass

[​IMG]
    The Hartside Cafe following the fire. Photo: Cumbria County Council
    A blaze has ripped through an iconic cafe which sits at one of Cumbria's highest points.
    New images show the walls are all that appear to remain of the Hartside Cafe, which sits at the top of the A686 Hartside Pass, near Alston. Firefighters from Alston, Brampton and Penrith spent several hours at the scene tackling the blaze.

Despite the upsetting scene of devastation, the fire service confirmed that no-one was hurt. It was confirmed there was a total roof collapse. An investigation is now underway to establish what happened at the cafe. Crews from Alston, Brampton and Penrith were called to the scene on the A686, about 1,904ft above sea level.

The team from Penrith had to follow a snowplough along the A686 to safely reach the scene after last week's heavy snowfall. An update given to fire service leaders stated that the fire was "well alight on arrival". The fire service was alerted to the blaze at 2.21pm yesterday.

The News & Star was told that firefighters used hose reel jets to help cool an LPG cylinder and dampen down the area.
    At 4.20pm a spokesman for the Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service stated that the incident was ongoing with confirmation just after 5pm that the blaze was out. The fire happened as work continued to reach the county's most isolated communities, which have been cut off for days by snow.

7. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    What a shame hope they can rebuild it quickly would love to visit that part off the world.
    Tucker

8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Seems ridiculous that the place caught fire whilst surrounded by snow.
    Now that is ironic - write about that Alanis Morissette! :confused:

9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Those who were on the GMU 2017 Sundays rideout would have visited the Hartside Cafe.

Will it ever re open.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Remember it well - very busy and decent looking pies on the menu! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I thought you'd be making a joke about the pies being well done now!:p

12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I think that any pies in there would have been cremated Steve :tired_face:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    This is my neck of the woods and I'm shocked to see the pics :sob:

Hartside Cafe is an institution ...... you find bikes there on most days of the week during the riding season...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Your right Tiglet it was one of our GMU stop points. I had to go back and look at the picture again before I made the connection.
    Nice cafe, I hope they can rebuild it.
    Wessa

15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    487BFC77-EE1C-4BFD-84CF-3E1EAECDB97E.jpeg

16. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    First visit was 21 years ago on first long-ish biking trip since getting back to bikes. I thought the views were brilliant, so called in a couple of years later with the missus on our way to Scotland ("you'll love it; amazing views"). The place was shrouded in thick fog (you couldn't see across the carpark) and it was freezing cold. And to be fair, it's a biker cafe not fine dining, so all-in-all, missus not impressed.

I really do hope they rebuild and stay in business. It's a great place to visit on the bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Well the speed and style of recovery will most likely be driven by insurance.

The Leadburn Inn just South of Edinburgh (and not previously a great biker venue but over 200 yrs old) was a similar smoking wreck in 2005 after a car ploughed into it. After some serious legal wrangling over insurance it has been rebuilt, reborn and prospers beyond its previous tired incarnation - not least on a Thursday evening when it is avowedly a biker venue.

Hopefully the Hartside owners will publicise their plans as they develop. The road is a magnet in itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Well I must have been there 'cos that's my bike in the picture!
    (Not the one with the top-box!)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Do you want to buy that top box Steve, it’ll save you leaving your helmet in full view :eek::)

• Like Like x 2