Welder Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DCS222, Dec 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I’m interested in potentially messing about with fabricating stuff again, thin sheet upto probably 4mm max. Thinking about a mig or flux-core welder for the hobbyist, or even a Tig for the right price (never used one but I suspect it’s quite like oxy-acetylene to use?)

So anyone got any good recommendations for a welder sub £200?

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I did a course on welding ( never used any of it), you should go T.I.G. You can make jewellery in the living room then fix the chassis on the car.

3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I've had one of these for a lot of years now ( 20+ and just bought another, due to reliability issues !! couldn't rely on it to still be there when I needed it ..... stolen by son ) , more than adequate for what youre looking at and has the advantage of being gasless or adding a regulator and cylinder.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/mig151en-turbo-no-gas-mig-welder/

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I get the bottles from star gas here in Ireland, no rental pay for first bottle €50 + vat and swap the bottle for the refill cost at most motor factors. I sold off my oxy set years ago because of the rental costs