Weird problem with number plate light - Help Please

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by R_1000, Nov 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I fitted a new led number plate light n connected those wires to those of the bike oem wires. when turn the ignition on, the number plate light stays on n normal . But once I fire the engine . ...the number plate light will start flickering n will never stay constant. I took it apart today to check the connections n all seem good . I'm baffled . Do you think it might need a resistor of some sort as go between .

Any help is greatly appreciated . Thanking you all kindly

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The reg plate lamp with my tail tidy is led and I don't think it has a resistor or ballast included but I take your point re led indicators.

• Like Like x 1
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I have no idea . it's a 2011 plate (new shape ). I'm just confused as mentioned all good up until the time you fire the engine :eek:

4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Could be a loose wire somewhere.
    The engine vibration might cause it.
    Might be worth double checking the wires.

• Like Like x 1
  5. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Had this problem when using led brake lights on my car. Worked ok on my Clio, but wouldn't work on my corsa.

• Like Like x 1
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The problem is cheap bulbs as they can't handle spikes in the power feed :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi R 1000, I have similar situation in my headlights, I have headlight and two as spot lights , all have led parker lamps, they flicker as voltage fluctuates, regulator cuts in and out, especially noticeable at idle/low rev's.

This happens because LED's are either on or off, if Volt's are too low they extinguish, high enough and they come on, this happens so often and quickly we see it as a flicker !

• Like Like x 1
  8. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Oh boy.....

Thanks a million to all for getting back to me .

I'm going to see if I can find a decent led one. currently I've disconnected the lights

9. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    You may require LED bulbs that are canbus compatible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I need to look into this. I will Google it n see where I can find one. Cheers buddy

11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    A while back I installed healtech brake light modulator. I had to ground one of the wires to the frame. I'm thinking maybe that the current is going to the earth before it reaches the led light . So maybe I could try and remove that wire n run it straight to the battery negative terminal .

Or am I talking crap o_O

12. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Ok...I have now removed the ground fire from the rea r frame and taken it direct to Negative battery terminal. It's still bloody flickering :-(. I think it's the main connection point from led wires to OEM. The led wires are flimsy. I will try soldering them to see if it helps. Failing that I have bought a decent UK made one which I am going to try it on. And if still the problem persists then remove the brake like modulator and put everything back to normal and see how it goes. I don't mind the tinkering in Summer but in winter :-(...It's awfully cold. Anyway what choice do I have....I need to get this solved.

69552-motrax-mnpl-led-number-plate-light-2.jpg

13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Save yourself all this misery and throw it away :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    You know after I try the methods I mentioned n if I still have issues......I'm getting rid of that module . It cost 40 quid +Plus stress + Time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #15 Col_C, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    2016-05-06_10-23-25.jpg Wow!...
    I think this tail looks really tidy. ;):D:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  16. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Leave it to the yank to highlight the unintended joke here about UK made electrics - not that "American-made" is what it used to be either, mind you - but the source of the problem could be the rectifier anyway, and the circuit in your number plate light more sensitive to voltage swings. It may be serving as your canary in the coal mine, telling you that the charging system on your UK made motorcycle is on the verge of failure.

17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Oh lord...I sincerely hope I have not offended any nations here. If I have then 1st thing in order...please accept my apologies.

I am clueless and petrified when it comes to electrics. I am running without number plate lights now :-(. I will start doing some research into what you said about rectifier.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-tri...-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

I had look at the above topic and I am completely lost. It feels like a bloody PhD course to me :-(.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you tried wiring up original again to see how that works?

• Like Like x 1
  19. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I just pulled out the original ones last night. That's the next task. I will give that a go tomorrow or Friday .

20. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Though people are ridiculously easily-offended these days, I was merely poking fun. If I have offended, I apologize as well... but generally I find motorcyclists to be among the less easily-offended crowd ;)

• Like Like x 1