Thruxton Weird Noise...

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Dave Roxburgh, Jun 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    1200 R

Got the bike out yesterday and the bugger wouldn't start.

It's less than a year old and it's done 1,000 miles. I ran it for a couple of hours just a few weeks ago - it started fine then and should have got a further good charge on the run.

The lights all lit up good and strong but when I hit the starter it didn't turn over. I figured it was the electronics deciding the battery voltage was a little low and put it on charge. Today it has started fine.

But... with the ignition on and the engine not running there's a weird screechy sound coming from the throttle bodies. It's kinda like a small electric motor or air escaping from a pressurise vessel. The pitch changes. It stops when the ignition is switched off.

Common thing?

Fuel pump? I'm familiar with their sound (on other bikes) and it don't sound like that. Throttle body self test or something?

Cheers,
    Dave

2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Is it the same noise from the throttle bodies that you got before the non-starting incident? Or did you not notice the normal squealy noise before and have now because you were expecting problems? I and other here have gone through the 'is this noise normal?' question, which we assume it is because it's so widespread.

• Like Like x 1