Way Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dozers Dad, Jun 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. freck

freck Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I have missed most of it, not being able to ride my new bike :worried: and having to work, obviously :p

2. freck

freck Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Go and have a nice chilled cocktail with @Sandi T. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Yes he sure was looked like a Chinese full size 125 cc

4. Sandi T.

Sandi T. It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, Ryan! I live just down the road from you in Tucson. I'm a big fan of wearing a cooling vest under a mesh jacket. I'm not a big fan of getting up at 5am to be out the door at 6am even when it's summer temps in Arizona. :joy::cool::sun:

What do you ride?? We here on the forum love to see photos of new members' bikes! If you haven't already introduced yourself on the new members thread, please mosey on over there and say hi to everyone! :)

5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member
    Subscriber

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    My newly ordered summer ventilated gloves arrives today.

Ordered them last Thursday when temp was 33 C, today 13 C, typical.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    When it gets mildly warm here (Northern Ireland) I tend to ride with the jacket buttoned, but not zipped.
    As for shorts & tee shirt - better to be comfortable and aware than not able to concentrate due to heatstroke or whatever. I tend not to, but am jeans & jacket person normally, so don't really get the cotton wool brigade either!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fodbin

Fodbin New Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Australia
    It was 23 degrees in Queensland yesterday; mind you it is winter

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Albion

Albion New Member

May 28, 2020
    Texas
    Try a Texas summer, its like breathing in fire!

• Like Like x 3
  9. freck

freck Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Having been a victim of being knocked off a bike by a young inattentive car driver I always wear decent protection.
    I’m not part of the “cotton wool brigade” but just know how vulnerable us bikers can be, and how much it can hurt when something goes wrong, and how quickly it can happen. o_O

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    There is a time and place for everything. Pretty much everyone here has been wiped out at some stage, self included, but don't judge unless you're perfect.

This is not a personal attack, more a general comment, because we're all, self included again, liable to judge others because it doesn't suit us at the time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kenbro

Kenbro Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Littleade,
    Mine went for (1st) 12 month service last Tuesday.
    BM store collected it and returned it on Thursday mid morning...no charge for collection and bring back.
    Surprised me that as I’d gotten the service price a few weeks ago and told them I’d take it in.
    Changed my mind, called them to ask if they’d collect and return and was told yes.
    That saved hanging about while service was done, or wifey having to follow in car to bring me home then take me back. ‘bout 15 miles each way.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 3
  12. freck

freck Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I wasn’t judging you fella, I was just stating my personal view on what to wear even when it’s hot.
    If you or anyone else wants to take the risk of wearing t shirt and shorts whilst riding then that’s their prerogative. It’s just not for me. :) I’ve already got enough scars so I personally wouldn’t take the risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Wattie

Wattie Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Bucks
    I read an article recently about dehydration and riding https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...ice/biking-tips/riding-motorcycle-hot-weather
    It follows my thinking, and like it says and you seem to be saying it's a choice each of us make. Personally I've ridden in a T-shirt and jeans more often than not in southern Europe and often thought if it's good enough for the French motorcycle police it's ok for me....
    I did find the part in the article surprising where they said "evidence from police crash investigators and Department of Transport motorcycle accident statistics saying that the circumstances of the most common type of serious crash are a sunny summer afternoon (June, July or August), a rider of a large capacity bike in full kit, a demanding A-road, and no other vehicles". So from now on in June, July and August I'm going to be in T-shirt, riding a small capacity bike around B-roads with lots of friends..... I should be safe then... no?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kenbro

Kenbro Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    I’ve been lucky, I don’t have any motorcycle induced scars.
    First legal bike was BSA C15 November 1960, I was 17.
    Went to visit my older bro. who was in hospital having had a meddle with two cars while riding his AJS 500 Jampot single.
    Set off home from hospital and met the hospital cook coming round a tight S bend on the wrong side...20 mph bump into centre of his bumper, bike stopped quickly and I flew over the car (Sumersault) and landed on my feet, then fell over, no harm done except bike needed the forks straightening and a new frame.

Fast forward to around ‘64 and I had a BSA Super Rocket.
    A local lad had a Tiger 110 and we decided to ride up this straight bit of road in the dark to see who was fastest (Neither were Black, so neither were very fast), of he went i I tucked in behind his back wheel about 4 inches separating us....all well until we reached about 70 and he suddenly closed the throttle with still several hundred yards more road to go!
    My front tyre touched his rear mudguard and I flipped. Bounced down the road aways, tore the heel of my right palm open but didn’t lose the skin, it just flapped a bit.
    Bike was rideable so rode it to a friend house and patched the hand. (Wouldn’t dare go straight home like that). No evidence that ever happened now.

Always had a bike until my Gold Wing got nicked around 1990.
    Didn’t replace the Wing until i started again 2 years ago.

Crash hats not compulsory when I started riding and we seldom wore them, flat cap on ass backwards and goggles sometimes in winter. Lewis Leathers heavy leather biker jacket or Barbour wax. Jeans and waterproof over trousers if going out of town.
    We rode most nights after work and nearly every weekend whatever the weather.

Since I started biking again 2 years ago I’ve fallen off in a U turn in a too narrow (For me) Street.
    Fallen off when practising slow manoeuvres on a car park, and fallen off on the Dragon Rally site in Feb.
    These are the only bike accidents I’ve had since 1964.

Motorcycling is comparatively safe compared to some of the things I’ve done and if you see some looney tune in shorts, T shirt, shoes but no socks, it could be me. I do wear an helmet, open face for shorter rides and flip front the rest of the time.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 3
  15. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    That's BMW customer service for you! My dealer is 45 miles away so can't see them offering to pick mine up to service it though I'm going to ask next year. They did deliver the bike when it was new in March though and picked my old 1 up too earlier as part of the deal. Wolverhampton is closer for me but I've never been offered a decent enough deal there when buying the bike so went to Cotswold as my previous dealer Blade has closed down. It only took a couple of hours which I was ok with as it was just the 600 mile service though it looks like they changed the FD oil too which I was impressed with. My only grip was the coffee machine wasn't working due to Corona but it was a nice ride back after. I did think I could give it some now the 1st service is done but it's so much quicker lower down then my 1200 was I didn't find myself having to.

• Like Like x 3