Wavy Discs And Pad Wear

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by crispey, Nov 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #1 crispey, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    here's a question, Do the wavy front brake discs, as in the picture, wear your brake pads out quicker than normal un-shaped ones and is there any performance difference that would affect a non racey type on a thruxton 900?

upload_2019-11-5_14-23-32.jpeg

2. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I have normal discs on my kwak on the front and wavy on the rear and the fronts wear out quicker, though I tend to do most of my breaking with the front brakes, so that makes sense, but I have not noticed the rear wavy disc making any difference in wear rates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I used these wavy discs on the race bike, my team mate used standard Suzuki ones, both of us use race compound pads, he got through a set of pads every 2 rounds so 4 sets, I used 2 sets all season. But he is quicker than me, brakes harder, later etc, so would say there's is probably feck all in it really mate. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Equally interesting is to question whether the pads wear out the rotors any quicker...... they are both sacrificial!
    Aggressive use, rider weight, urban v. rural traffic...... there are loads of variables. With the right disc hardness the supposed advantage of wavy discs is heat dissipation and longer life. Pad wear will itself depend on their construction and the use and abuse to which they are subjected. I suspect any real world difference will be marginal.
    You would never buy brakes for their appearance would you?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If I did I wouldn't have asked the question.,hopefully my weight or riding style wont change because I've changed my disc, but you never know. Maybe I should have asked about performance difference as well so Iv'e edited my original post to include this.
    cheers for the info

6. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I bought the wavy disc for the rear of my kwak because it was a lot cheaper, simples

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I am sure I read somewhere that wavy discs were originally for the motor cross boys they help to stop mud sticking to them. mind you this could be a load of bollocks and I heard it down the pub

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That makes quite a lot of sense