Water in fuel filler area

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by philboy, Jun 7, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. philboy

philboy New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Sunny Wales
    Hi Guys
    Here is the problem every time I open the petrol cap its full of water. I've bought all new seals but its not cured the problem. There looks like a drain hole but I don't know if it is. Is this a common problem with this bike. The bike is a 1998 955i speed triple.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Hi philboy, If your speeds anything like my 99 Tiger then you need to clean out drain at the bottom of the tank. On the Tiger theres two rubber pipes ones the overflow and the others the drain, its an aluminium fitting on the tank that gets oxidised up and needs a small drill to clean it out...although hand held. If its the same take care taking the tube off as half of the fitting came away with tube on the Tigger

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. philboy

philboy New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Sunny Wales
    Hi Pete I'm off for a few days so I'll take a look at the drain and see if its blocked and I'll certainly be careful if I need to take the tube off. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    PeteH is right,it is a common problem on all of the bikes. I believe some use wire ,like a thick guitar string to do the same job, depends how bad the blockage is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gus

Gus Member

Aug 6, 2014
    As Pete said....i've just had the tank off mine and with help of a neighbour drilled the hole, well he did, quite a bit a water came out, still runs shite under 3k :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. philboy

philboy New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Sunny Wales
    Thanks everyone for your answers. Drilled the hole everything now sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Peter Murphy

Peter Murphy New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Gibraltar
    Exactly same happened to my speed trip. Every time I went to fill up water poured into tank. The hole is a drain. Don't know where it leads but poking a bit of single core cable down it seems to have cured the problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Any chance that one of you took a photo of this blocked up hole? I have the same problem and wonder if it's contributed to a couple of engine cut-outs recently while I had a low fuel level.

If not, I'd take some myself and post them up once I know what/where I should be looking.

I actually found this thread while looking for info on draining the coolant. Unfortunately all the links I have found are almost 10 years old and the pages no longer exist (404 not found).

I need to get it done today before freezing temperatures immobilise the poor thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Just had a look through photos I took during the last service I made and wonder if this is the culprit?

DSC_0011.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    My 2012 Speed R has this problem too so glad to see it's a common issue. I'll try unlocking it to see if that helps.
    Interestingly, as Gus mentioned it runs really badly below 3k and mostly when the fuel is lower.
    Is there any way of getting the water out of the tank? I imagine it always floats on top so my only thought is to siphon the top of the fuel off while the tank is mostly full. Any other suggestions?

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Water is heavier that petrol and sinks to the bottom of the tank, it also mixes with a layer of fuel above that too, possibly causing some rough running as its fed into the engine giving very lean fuel mix.

Best remedy is to remove and drain the tank into a clean container then refill with clean fuel, you may be able to syphon some off the top of the contaminated stuff from the container but be carefull.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    That would further explain the rough running. I'll try drain the tank and see if that helps.
    Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Try adding some Metholated spirits, it's hygoscopic, it absorbs/attaches to water , which will aid cleaning out the last of any residual water in the tank carburettors/injection and help get you running better sooner.

14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    If you do find that the petrol is contaminated with water and you decide to try to save some by syphoning it off, I personally wouldn’t use it in the bike again. Lawn mower, strimmer, chain saw, but not the bike.

• Agree Agree x 2