Warped the front discs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Richard H, Jun 21, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Towards the end of my recent 1500 mile Scotland tour I started to notice a high speed vibration under braking on my 2012 Speed Triple ABS.
    Took it to the dealer last week and they said new discs and pads required as well as cleaning up where the calipers slide. Brakes are Brembo by the way, the same make that gave me loads of issues on my previous Ducati :frown: supposed to be the best??
    Bike is just over 4000 miles and other than the brakes has been trouble free. Bike booked in next week for the warranty work to be done.

2. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    That's not good ,not nice to get unexpected bills and after the bike only done 4000 miles :frown:

3. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Very heavy braking could warp the discs no matter how old they are, maybe the constant use of a 1500 mile ride was just too much for them? Its not necessarily the callipers that are the issue they might be making too much force for the discs. Saying that I would be in the dealers kicking off if it was my bike you expect more from a new bike!

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    The work will be done under warranty Chrispy: thank god.
    I'm not a heavy braker but used the bike as it is designed for. Discs should stand up to track days where you would brake way more heavy than I did around Scotland.
    I am a heavy guy at 18st ...... Perhaps that's what fooked them up :smile:

5. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Thank heavens for that a least at Triumphs cost.

6. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    18st shouldn't matter really its supposed to be able to take pillion too. Hopefully it won't happen again mate at least your not footing the bill!

7. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Oh fuck... if thats the man size the Brembos give up at I'm fucked... looks like I'll be looking for another Blade? :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah: Pleased for you but surprised big T are doing it under warranty?

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Had brembos on my KTM and im a big lad as well.... No issues with those.. Warping is usually caused by rapid heat changes so if the disc was hot from breaking hard and you went through a deep puddle then that may have caused the warping.... as an example..

9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    A mate who had a ST 1050 went through 2 sets of front discs, all warped after long Alpine road trips and both times replaced under warranty. My lad had a warped front disc on his KTM Duke 125 again replaced by KTM. Have say the guys a Pidcocks Triumph were good about it when I called into them with the bike; they took it out while I waited said yes there is an issue but the bike is still safe to ride. Within 4 days the parts were in stock and they will fit while I wait on Thursday:upyeah:
    Bike is about 10 months old

10. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Sounds like good service from the dealer Richard, its good to hear positive things, many posts on the other forum I go on was about the dealers trying to wriggle out of warranty repairs!

11. almack

almack Member

May 17, 2013
    Nottingham, UK
    Bloody 'ell... Ditto! Just back from a run to France and Belgium, around 900 miles and the front brakes are 'pulsing' like a good'un. Mine too is a 2012 Speedy ABS (in red too!) and only 9 months old. Has around 3700 miles on it!

12. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    It isn't great news almack :frown: Hope your dealer is as good about it as mine, taking the bike in tomorrow for the work to be done.

13. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Keep us posted on how it goes RichardH

14. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Front discs and pads changed, bike back to normal, all done under warranty while I waited. Had a chat to Dave the salesman at Pidcocks to see if they had a Tiger I could test while I waited and he sorted out a matt green Tiger 800 XC.
    Enjoyed the Tiger way more than I thought I would, better leg room, softer suspension, willing engine, very smooth gear box and good wind protection compared to the Speed with no buffeting.

Think I could put up with less power than the Speed Triple and this may be a contender as next bike???

2013-06-27 13.03.31.jpg

2013-06-27 13.03.31.jpg

15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    That Jim's bike?

16. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire

mmm, sounds like you've already sold yourself one!

17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales

• Like Like x 2
  18. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Not his actual bike, but same as. Think Pidcocks said it had just been returned by MCN

19. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Best you get a different one, methinks....

20. BetaAlpha

BetaAlpha Banned

Jun 15, 2013
    Leicestershire
    I wouldnt have that one if MCN have been ragging the arse off it.
    Not a fan of that colour scheme either, looks like an army bike... Just saying :wink: