Vintage Trident

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chas Allen, Mar 13, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chas Allen

Chas Allen New Member

Mar 13, 2022
    london
    Hello There,

I might be on the wrong one and this is a meridian classic, but anyway!

I'm new to the forum and have a little problem on a 73 triumph trident t150v that I'm just getting ready after a long time in storage. I stripped down the carbs, carefully cleaned all the gunk and old petrol, new gaskets, cleaned out the gas tank, new plugs, reassembled and filled it with clean petrol.

It starts quite easily but won't idle below 1000-1200rpm, just dies.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Chas

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hello and welcome.

You've described - to a 'T' - the classic symptoms of blocked (or partially blocked) pilot jets.

Yep, you're about to tell me that you blew carb cleaner through them, dunked them in carb cleaner, maybe even put them in an ultrasonic cleaner but I would strongly advise that you buy and fit a new set of pilot jets ......... I know, PITA taking the carbs. off AGAIN! But it will be SO worth it when that Trident runs like a champ and ticks over like a Timex ...........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chas Allen

Chas Allen New Member

Mar 13, 2022
    london
    Yes, blew them all through and gave them a blast of carb cleaner for good measure....If that fails, what would be the next possibility or is it that certain? Thanks for your help...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chas Allen

Chas Allen New Member

Mar 13, 2022
    london
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The IronMan has answered that question as comprehensively as it's possible to so do! Follow his advice carefully and you should be good to go! It does seem most likely that a commercial grade ultrasonic clean is going to be the best answer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Chas Allen

Chas Allen New Member

Mar 13, 2022
    london
    Will do, Thanks Mate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    One other thing you need to check is that the throttle slides are balanced, if someone has been fiddling and one or more slides are too high this will also cause high unstable idle, if you are removing carbs then it's an easy job to equalise the slides using BBs and make sure they all release at the same time.