Vin Location T120 650cc

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by SCOTTMAN61, Mar 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SCOTTMAN61

SCOTTMAN61 New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    SMYRNA
    Hello there fellas,

I'll start by saying that I don't know squat about these old Triumph motorcycles. I have recently come into possession of a bit of a barn find and want to begin the restoration process. The first thing I want to do is verify the bike isn't stolen or previously wrecked that sort of thing and then of course register it. The problem is I have yet to find a VIN tag. The numbers I have found on the motor and on the neck are not long enough to be VIN #'s according to the DMV search online. So is this bike missing the VIN tag or are the numbers on the Engine and Neck the VIN???
    Thank you guys for any and all information

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Not sure about a VIN plate on older bikes - it's along time since I actually owned one!
    However, have a look at www.tri-corengland.com to check engine number for dating purposes and actual model (if you don't know it already).

3. SCOTTMAN61

SCOTTMAN61 New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    SMYRNA
    Thank you, they have a lot of information and ill surely order a manual or two from them but I'm still unsure if the engine Number is also used as the VIN#

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Post some pic's as this would help, No Vin tags ever used on older Triumph's just letters and numbers stamped into frame on the left neck and crank case on the left just under the barrel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    As darkman says back in the day vehicles just had an engine and frame number stamped on them. This was before vin plates were introduced. Vin plates were made compulsory about 1980 and voluntary for a few years before then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Ah .... my suspicions about VIN plates on older bikes have just been confirmed - twice!:cool: Cheers lads.:) I didn't have the courage of my convictions on that one.:(

• Like Like x 2