Video of my Speed Triple and the post van incident

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Red Thunder, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My insureres have informed me there is a video of the incident the other week when a post van cut accross me at a junction.
    The insurers are monitoring the video as the other party are using it to dispute my claim that the van is at fault

Although I was late through the amber light, I thought it was too late for me to stop safely.
    The van cuts accross dispite me being visible.

May I ask for your comments, baring in mind the insurers are monitoring this video
    In my view, the post van moves accross my path while the light is still amber causing the incident, my speed was 20mph.

Sorry for the language
    but I had the bike 5 days and had only done 300 miles on it, I was livid...still am
    Go to the last 20 secs.

"

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    There is no doubt in my mind that even though you 'may' (as may the van!) have gone through on amber, that in no way excuses the van from driving right at you.

3. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Van should only turn right if safe to do so

4. wurzel

wurzel Member

May 18, 2016
    Scatterbrook farm
    Give the bloke in mcn a ring he helped me no end when mr plod tried knocking me off my fire blade and tried getting out of it.
    Andrew Campbell [email protected]. 01446 794169.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    agree with all the above,found this online.. If the amber light is illuminated, a vehicle must stop, unless it has already passed the white stop line or the vehicle is so close to the stop line, that coming to a halt might cause an accident. If the red light is showing, then you must stop behind the stop line in all circumstances.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Thank you so much Dougie, I will quote that to the insurance company...

7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Doesn't really matter what stage the lights were on, you had right of way because he was crossing the oncoming traffic.
    Tell them to piss off if they're trying that one on.
    What damage was done? Well done keeping it upright.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    About £3k of damage to my bike, carbon mudguard, radiator and oil cooler, radiator fan, plastics and suspension

Please feel free to place comments after the video on YouTube, anything that shows public opinion placing the van at fault helps

I will upload my video shortly, I have been resisting doing that as my brother in law will kill me if/when he finds out

9. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    video from your point of view would be good as it would show how close to the line and the light being amber.
    Well done on staying upright. Get yourself a decent solicitor not the panel one your insurance will fob you off with.

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Comme
    Comments added on Youtube clip.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My camera catches my colourful language rather too well...something I am not proud of.
    As I go over the line, the light is amber and plenty of space for the car to pass safely that is in front of the van, but the van should not have moved accross...
    Will look at uploading this afternoon

12. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I'm thinking the same to be honest , which is where the advice of a good solicitor would be helpful.
    RM van is already in the junction ready to turn but you've crossed the line just as the lights are in the process of changing.
    It's difficult to tell from that video if you had time to stop or not.
    I would say that video does support the RM Van more than you but that's just personal opinion.
    If you have video of it you should give a copy to your insurance company ( I think it's in the T&C of them now or it's considered to be evidence )
    Your video should show more clearly if you were in the right or wrong as it's view of the incident won't be blocked/obscured by other traffic.

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, including the objective perspectives.
    I agree it was a case of a very close sequence of events that in retrospect could have been avoided.
    I hold firm that the van driver 100% caused the accident as he had crossed my path (he was well over 3/4 over the central line) even if the lights were in the process of changing sequence. He proceeded to cross my lane without ensuring it was clear.

The lass at the insurance company even said she was unsure why the other party was using this video as it shows the van crossing into my path.

I got my licence on my 17th birthday 24 years ago and had a totally clean spotless history until very recently.
    Just pure misfortune this has happened.

But until it is resolved, it seems I have a fight on my hands.

Ride free and safe guys n gals

• Like Like x 3
  14. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Good luck with it. Like Andy I think it's going to boil down to did you have enough time to stop or not.
    Don't edit that video of yours but give it to your insurance/solicitor :)

15. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Nope, haven't contacted him at all, I am remaining completely impartial

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not quite Jez, if you look at the comments on the first vid, you'll see why maybe he changed it.

More importantly is the part 2 of his contribution :

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No I wasn't saying I directly asked him to change the title but I think the "happy" comment might be aimed at me as I took issue with his original title.

Re the second Youtube clip, I fucked up first time around but have now corrected it :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: You must have been real quick off the mark as I changed it straight away when I saw the grey pussy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Me neither ?????

• Like Like x 1
  19. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I just saw this, as a biker and van driver I have to say i think it is 60/40 but against you, sorry. Think you may be lucky and get a 50/50. TBH I think you were kinda stupid with your reaction too

20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I have just watched this again on my laptop, easy to continually go back to same point and take in all the info.

I've not so 100% now, hard without actually being there, but can see it possibly as a 50/50. Them lights were on red as you crossed the line (or damn close), so can see where they are coming from. Guess there saying van driver thought you would stop, as amber had been on for a fair length of time, before you made the junction.

I hope it goes in your favour, but you will be lucky if it does.

21. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    RT, the van was actually behind a black MPV that turned across the junction ahead of the van once the traffic lights on the right hand side of the screen turn red. My thoughts would have been to be slowing, braking or stopping on the approach to that junction especially as the black MPV began to turn rather than continue with my line with a big red van sitting there with a signal flashing expecting it not to follow suit as you make for the gap. Better to avoid these situations by sound anticipation of what the cage might do...think you were very lucky there TBH but you had the reactions of a gazelle and did well to keep the bike under control

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    RT, you need a good bike lawyer. It's been said already. Do you listen to your local radio stations where there is an advert for a bike lawyer ? We get one round here, the guys name is Fergus, he builds bikes, rides bikes and races bikes, but I can't remember the name of the firm.