Vibration

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by DEAN, Feb 22, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DEAN

DEAN New Member

Feb 22, 2015
    KIDDERMINSTER
    Guys, i have a problem with my Speedmaster '07 (carb) and hoped you could lend a hand. I had a new Metzler put on the rear and noticed a vibration, so they changed it back to the old tyre but also noticed that the cush drives and bearings needed replacing claiming that this was the cause so refitted the new tyre. Its already had a new chain and sprocket (no tight spots as this has been double checked), but the vibration is still there predominantly in 1st and 2nd gear. The shop's saying its not the tyre- anybody got any suggestions?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Did they re-balance the wheel after fitting the new tyre? Or is it not that sort of vibration?

Just remembered a similar queery on triumphtorque.com but I can't find it! However, if memory serves, the drive chain needed oiling - simple as that!! One assumes that the rear wheel is in straight! :eek:

3. DEAN

DEAN New Member

Feb 22, 2015
    KIDDERMINSTER

4. DEAN

DEAN New Member

Feb 22, 2015
    KIDDERMINSTER
    the wheel was re balanced also plenty lube on the chain
    and a new tyre on the front wheel. i cant understand why its more prevalent in 2nd gear
    i am thinking if the 2nd gear is damaged or just worn ??but would that make it vibrate?

5. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hmmm .... all I can suggest is that you check everything for tightness and alignment e.g. engine bolts/mounting brackets, sprocket nuts, chain alignment and anything else you find that involves nuts and bolts! Can't think of anything specific, unfortunately! Just work through the bike methodically. A pain in the bum, I know, but at least you'll know the bike is nailed together properly. Start at the back (where work has been carried out) as this may be where the problem lies.
    Maybe someone else with more (better?) ideas will pick up on all this and come to your rescue. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    • Like Like x 1
  7. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Nice one FB! :) Seems, then, to be carbs/throttle bodies in need of balancing, tight chain or tight spots in the chain. Perhaps even a coil playing silly buggers. :(
    Or perhaps a case of 'they all do that, sir' ... or at least some of them do!! :mad:

8. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    No, they don't all do that ;)

I had the carbs balanced several time and a new chain and sprockets (all paid for by Triumph). After doing all the work the dealer then claimed there wasn't an issue and it was in my imagination :confused:

It's still doing it and I swear it's getting worse (14k on mine but it started at about 5 or 6k)

I've ridden a new LT and it didn't do it.

No-one seems to have any idea what it is and why only some bikes seem to get it.

My solution will be to make sure the dealer gives me a good deal on a new Thunderbird :rolleyes:

Good luck with solving your problem!

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you tried getting it off the ground and running it? That way you'll eliminate front end, suspension and tyres.

10. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    No, if it was the tyres or suspension it would only happen at one speed and in different gears at that speed.

It's rev not speed related.

It happens at around 15-20 in 1st (noticeable) , 25-30 in 2nd (very noticeable) then to a lesser extent at 35 or so in 3rd and so on.

11. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The Thunderbird deal should cure it, FB!! :D

Thinking back (ouch!:eek:), my Trident had a vibration period around 3,000 rpm when I first got it, up until the time I put some aftermarket silencers on, at which point the vibes virtually disappeared! :confused: Very strange, and of little relevance here, but I just thought I would chuck that little nugget of information into the mix! :rolleyes:

Anyone thought about balance shafts being slightly out of 'adjustment', assuming there is any available? :(

12. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Test ride next week (if the weather holds up)

Can't see it being silencers but it's another possibility!

I don't know enough about balance shafts to make even an educated guess.

13. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I was/am clutching at straws a little bit ... but the result of the silencer change was unexpected, though welcome! Maybe the 'resonant frequency' (see, I did learn something at school!) of something was altered? (Vibes were around 3,000 rpm +/- a bit, if I remember correctly).
    Not sure about balance shafts meself, but I refer you to my comment about straws!! :(:confused: