Speedmaster Verdict

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Pitbull, Jul 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pitbull

Pitbull Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    OK this weekend I decided to get the miles onto the Speedmaster so set off 2 up to Northumberland an overnight with the daughter and return to the Midlands Sunday. Overall a nice 500 mile trip so bike is ready for first service.

So how did she perform?

Sounds awesome and there is a fair amount of grunt available to you when you twist that throttle. Found her very forgiving when you try and accelerate in the wrong gear. The gearbox is a pleasure, the best Trumpet gearbox I have known, not cluncky or harsh just nice smooth gear changes, nice job Triumph. I found the lever travel changing to 5th and 6th very short so the changes were less positive but hey you have an indicator and the knowledge it will just drop in.

Fuel economy is very impressive, I averaged 65 to 70 mpg on the trip overall which more than makes up for the small tank, a good 160 miles on a tank can't be sniffed at. Cruising along motorways, I found 70 to be about it otherwise the buffeting made it very tiresome, 65 is a nice cruising speed (I don't have a screen).

so now we get onto comfort.

Well I managed to do the outbound trip with only 4 stops, 2 to refuel and 2 numb bum stops. I have the comfort seats fitted. The return journey resulted in the need to stop around 6 times. Now I mentioned I have the comfort seats, well trades description needs to have a word, I found it excruciatingly painful by the time I got home! someone needs to find the Triumph seat designer and give them a good slap :)

Seats look lovely with the stitching and logo but that lump is the thing that caused me a lot of pain. I didn't seem to be able to find the correct position and found myself shuffling forwards and backwards a lot. Maybe time to get the stock seat custom done. BTW The Mrs was fine on her little cushion so it may be my big bum.

I did find though that I was slightly slouched when riding so I think I may have to get the raised bars fitted to force my posture into a better position, this in turn may go some towards positioning better on the seat.

She is in for her first service on the 21st so I may get the raised bars fitted then and see if that does the trick. Mind at £110 for the bars and £95 for the cable extension kit, it aint a cheap option :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    #2 Rocker, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Glad your trip went well Pitbull for the longer journey you need an Airhawk air seat 2150 miles south of France in 7 days no pain whatsoever oh and of course you need to go "commando" makes a huge difference too:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Interesting read Pitbull:)
    Haven’t had a chance to get out on mine yet :confused: but did well over an hour on a demo and have to agree about the comfort seat :confounded: It does lock you in position with that square cushion thing in the rear middle of the seat :(
    I have opted for the standard seat :confused:
    Only rode NUDGER home from the stealers but made a point of shuffling my ample arse about to try it and found it a lot better for moving about :)
    Won’t get to ride it until Thursday when I’ll be in the saddle all day going to the GMU in Welsh Wales :confused: so I’ll find out then if I made the right choice :confused:
    Thanks for the write up mate :p

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pitbull

Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    How did you get on with the stock seat?

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:) It’s fine mate :)
    All in I did a little over 700miles :eek:
    All day riding to the GMU on Thursday
    Didn’t go out on the Friday cos I had to see a man about a dog :rolleyes: waited all day for him in a pub and he didn’t show so I ended up getting a little merry instead :p
    Went for a ride on Saturday afternoon with a few others from the bunkhouse :)
    Rode all day Sunday to get home and can honestly say that it’s a very very long time since I’ve felt that comfortable and relaxed on any bike :grinning:
    The seat was very comfortable and I can shift about on it :) being a new bike it might/could get even better as it moulds to my arse or my arse moulds to the seat:p
    As a foot note I had a sit on @Wessa Speedmaster and he has the brown quilt one that’s on the Maverick bike :) initially sitting on this it does feel more comfortable again :) but I really don’t have a problem with the standard seat.....I like it :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pitbull

Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    Cool Thanks for that, I am going to Stoke to get it serviced Saturday, around an hour (ish) so I will put the stock seat on and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Errrr, why is that necessary ????

8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Only one layer with two bunching occurs it defo makes a difference try it :cool:

9. Bob Matetich

Bob Matetich New Member

Aug 18, 2020
    Phoenix
    Thinking about your issues; do any of the old model Speedmaster parts fit the new model? I'm thinking seat, 5,1 gal. fuel tank, etc. My 2009 America had a great seat and tank. Might they fit the new one?

10. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    I assume air-cooled? o_O

11. Bob Matetich

Bob Matetich New Member

Aug 18, 2020
    Phoenix
    Yes. The object is to increase the range and comfort of the new bike to make it viable here in the Wild West.

12. Bob Matetich

Bob Matetich New Member

Aug 18, 2020
    Phoenix
    Yes. The object is to increase the range and comfort of the new bike to make it viable here in the Wild West.

• Like Like x 1