Verdict On Fuel Booster

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bob1, Jun 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    right I fitted a fuel booster to my speed twin. the bike was always a little bit snatchy at low revs I never found it that bad to be honest other people seem to find it a lot worse than me. anyway I thought I would give one a go and to be honest I cant feel a great deal of difference if any. I got a straight through 2 into 1 on it so I dont know if that makes a difference or not. so the verdict for me is I probably wasted my money. so there you go you pay your money and take your chance.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MotoDruid

MotoDruid Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Indianapolis, IN
    Interesting results you've experienced.
    I have just over 600 miles on my 2020 Speed Twin and have been trying to soften the throttle on/off at low revs that cause clunkiness around town and some heart flutter when leant over on tight corners. It's also prone to stall when shifting down through the gears aggressively and closing the throttle when coming to a foot down stop, or a gradual slowing at a changing green light.
    In the recent past with my Ducati's all I had to do was fit some throttle spacers and all was good, but the problem with the Triumph is a little different, it's more to do with mapping and on/off transition, I'm guessing.
    First thing I tried was the spacers, and while this made the transition easier to predict, it didn't resolve the abruptness of the response.
    I always intended to do the X-Pipe de-cat, fit some nice Predator Pro's, a higher flow filter and remove the airbox snorkel, so with the snatchy throttle to contend with I figured I jump right in and tackle it all at once.
    So far this is what I've found happens, and in the order I installed the parts with the throttle spacers in place:-
    1. Predator Pro's - much lighter, increase in volume and slightly faster spin up of engine.
    2. PP's + K&N air filter - small increase in throttle response, no negative effects.
    3. PP's + K&N + snorkel delete - Increase in induction noise but slight loss of bottom end and low midrange punch at partial throttle, no flat spots, revs quicker over 4K but this could also be a function of more miles ridden.
    4. PP's + K&N + snorkel delete + Booster plug - Higher idle speed, much smoother throttle transition from on/off and more immediate response at low through midrange revs, that is, the power comes on smoother but also stronger making rain mode more like road mode, and so forth through the modes.

I've yet to fit the X-pipe which I'll do next week. We've been lucky with the weather here in Indiana with the temps still in the 60's and 70's F so the tests have been conducted on the same roads in the same temperature ranges. One thing to note is that when the temps are warmer it tends to stall less frequently, and with the snorkel and the booster plug the low and midrange feels a little more urgent, but the top end feels a little weaker. It'll be interesting to see how the X-Pipe affects the scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. MotoDruid

MotoDruid Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Indianapolis, IN
    UPDATE:

After fitting the x-pipe over the weekend (what a scrotum of a job) I managed to get the bike out in the 50F weather last night.

5. PP's + K&N + snorkel delete + x-pipe + booster plug. Wow, it makes quite a difference to how quickly the motor spins up, especially in Road Mode which arguably now has more midrange than Sport Mode. Rain Mode was better pick up and a smoother throttle also.
    As mentioned above, I think the midrange suffers when you remove the snorkel, so I'm going to try it with the snorkel on and compare again. Perhaps drill it out a bit to find a sweet spot between midrange and top end, which is epic. This bike wasn't slow to start, but it's now firmly into Monster 1200 territory, and knocking on the door of the Super Duke R and GT.
    The booster plug air temp sensor had been routed to the back of the bike, under the passenger seat near the control boxes and zip tied to the frame to keep it away from engine and exhaust heat.

• Like Like x 4