Vanity Number Plates

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Rich Bryce, Mar 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    If I owned a Street Cup as does figwold I'd be tempted by this plate for £799. There are other numbers available such as 02 for £499.(Thruxton is nearest image DVLA do).
    ST11CUP-799.jpg

But as I own a Street Twin and my birth date is December 1951 I'm tempted by one of these.
    BR12YCE.jpg BR51YCE.jpg RJ51BRY.jpg ST66RJB-399.jpg
    Choices, choices. Or spend the money on petrol. Just a thought.

2. odysseyhal9000

Feb 9, 2017
    Earth
    I bought a new 1050 Speed Triple in 2007. I got the plate AP57 TRP,
    AP being my initials, and then using small lower case stick on vinyl letters added an i between R and P and le at the end to spell TRiPle. I thought everyone will be dead impressed.
    Nobody even noticed till I pointed it out :rolleyes: . Gave up on plates after that.
    Spend it on fuel, unless you really really feel passionately about the plate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Yeah, I did consider this also, with the idea of sticking an 'I' between the W and N or even an upside down 'v'.
    ST16TWN-699.jpg

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I put TR10MFF on my Thrux, looks great on 1 line not so good on 2, surprised it was so cheap tho

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #5 Rich Bryce, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Count me in.

After seeing yours at Woburn I looked on DVLA for S900 TWN, but it's gone.

6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I'm RJB. The ex-swmbo is RB (both before and after nuptials). So going up the M6 years ago, near Rugby/Coventry we were passed (I only had an old Herald in those days) by a Roller with RB1 on the plate. 'Look, my car' I exclaimed. 'Not at all, that's mine' she retorted. Now I kid you not, and I know it is hard to believe, but only a couple of mikes further on we were passed by RJB1.

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Although he has won Liar of the Year Award on numerous occasions I don't think even Donald Trump would claim to have precedence over George Washington*, so 01 is out, but he could snap this one up for only £999.
    TR02UMP-999.jpg
    * Washington's forebears were from Northampton and Sulgrave in the beautiful Rose of the Counties.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    When i was about 18 i was looking through the exchange and mart and they had DD1 for sale it was £1k..that was more than my yearly wage:oops:! I should have took a loan out for it though as two letters the same with the number 1 fetch anything between £200,000 and £300,000 now :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    F1 is up for sale..a snip at only £12,250,273.83 :confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    JEZ17, could be the next great "boy" band !

11. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    When I bought an early R3 a couple of years ago it came with the plate T3 RKT
    Didn't keep the bike that long as it was a nightmare to corner. Sold it with the plate!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I'm a radio amateur and a few years back the government reserved all our call signs thinking we would be daft enough to fork out the ridiculous amount of money they wanted us to pay for them.

I did have a look a wee while ago and some muppet bought it and stuck it on there car.
    When it was reserved the government wanted about £1000 for it.
    Wonder how much that person paid for it. Why they would want my call sign on their car as it doesn't make up a name or anything else.

13. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    I Bid on T120 BLK a few weeks ago, I bid it upto £720 which is what it sold for, with tax etc it would have been over a grand so let it go.
    I've got DUC 996R on my ducati.

• Like Like x 3
  14. odysseyhal9000

Feb 9, 2017
    Earth
    Not necessarily. Are you speaking from experience? I fitted the small lower case letters as per my post to spell TRiPle from the bike being new. I never got pulled for it, I've had cops behind me, I've had cops look at my bike at bike meets, I've even parked next to cops. They either didn't notice or didn't care. The only people who actually noticed were the MOT station, so that took 3 years! Just covered them up with yellow insulation tape till after the test. Bingo. Don't forget we are talking about miniature letters that are only readable up close to create a word, they don't make the plate illegible.
    Not all cops are bad.
    I was stood near to 3 traffic cops at a lay by brew stop, when we heard a clearly illegal pipe approaching. Next minute an R1 appeared with said loud pipe, small plate and iridium visor. He did a comedy double take at the trio of cops and zoomed off into the sunset. I overheard one of the cops say "What a dickhead, just stop and have a brew and a chat for f**** sake.We're not interested in your bike unless it's nicked or you're riding like a tw**"

Who knew ! :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. odysseyhal9000

Feb 9, 2017
    Earth
    Other problem with private plates is it makes you very recognisable, especially the shorter and more memorable it is. Maybe not so bad for bikes, but we tend to leave our cars parked in car parks, town centres etc. I got cut up by a guy in a black Audi with a very memorable reg who was on his mobile phone. I gestured WTF and he gestured that I should pull along side his car and he would knock me off my bike. A few weeks later, by complete chance, I saw said black Audi with very memorable plate parked in a quiet side street. The next day, by complete chance, he had deep gouges right down to the metal on every single panel of his pride and joy. I also now know where he lives.
    So by all means, make yourself noticeable/ memorable. Just don't piss anyone off on the road is my advice. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    I'm looking to buy a pre 1974 plate for the Thruxton, it will look ok black and silver letters. And not too obvious that the bike shouldn't have a black and silver plate.
    I really wanted T120 TTR ot something similar but can't find anything.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Many years ago back in 1979 I bought a Suzuki GS750 EN from Eddy Grinstead in East Ham, London. The guy said to me that he`d waited all day to assign this number plate to a bike....The number was DMC 750 V....Didnt mean a thing to me at the time though...Although by a chance meeting, I did meet the guy who was the second owner who purchased it from the shop I sold it to in 1980...He had the pictures of it too!!!
    My Thruxton ends with the letters TWN (twin);)

• Like Like x 1
  18. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    As we're on the subject I was at the DVLA auction in Leeds a good few years ago to bid on a plate for my old fella, got out bid in the end. Whilst I was there, GSX 750R was for sale and nobody bid on it, no sale @£250 !!! I was very tempted and wish I had bought it.
    I did come away with a plate though, JED10W cost me £250, sold it a few years later for £1800

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    As per the title, they're for vanity. They're pretentious.

Spend the money on something you can use.

• Like Like x 3
  20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Pretentious???? Moi??

• Like Like x 3