Thruxton Vance &Hines baffle issue

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by ChrisT70, Nov 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Have got the V&H slip ons with removeable baffles but can't seem to release them internally?
    Have taken out the retaining circlips but the baffle is stuck solid.
    Anyone got these same slip ons and sorted it out ?

2. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    I read somewhere that theres also a 'plug weld' that needs to be filed/Dremmeled out to release the baffle.

3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    PLUG WELD !!! WTF - if that's the case I cannot see how they can be classed and sold as having removable baffles :eek:,

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lcm7lee

Lcm7lee Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Peterborough
    Mine came out quite easy..mole grips and a wiggle..they was no spot weld on them not sure if that's a thing they have added since I got mine..

5. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    As above but a very quick dremmel to remove a tack welded piece that fills the gap in a circlip.......easy peasy

6. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    No I've broken off the small tack weld bit and removed both circlips. The baffles are firmly in place. I didn't want to crush the central tube by pulling etc. I assume that bit is where you would grip with mole grips?

Tried with long nose pliers but not hard enough possibly.

7. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Was going to loan a slide hammer and hook it inside onto perforated section and tap it out?

8. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Remove the silencer from the bike and gently knock out with a broom handle from the header end

9. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    is that how you got them out Jez?

10. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Removed baffles before I fitted the silencer as I had similar problems with the baffle on my 1290 Super Duke, which required me to remove the silencer and poke it out from the inside

11. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    As per jez suggestion it was easier to remove them and tap them out from the inside using a long extension bar. I have a superb sounding bike at last.
    Removed the snorkel for effect too, not a lot of difference there but the baffles certainly kill lots of noise as I popped them back in to try and was astonished by noise reduction.

• Like Like x 1