Vale Onslows being demolished

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by sprintdave, Feb 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #1 sprintdave, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    20170213_105821.jpg The legend of British biking that was Vale Onslows shop on Stratford Road Birmingham is being pulled down. It has had scaffolding round the property for many years but as i drove down past there today I saw the corner part of the building was no more. To anyone into bikes in the 70s a Saturday morning waiting for them to open to avoid the queues was not to be missed. I worked about 10 mins away and used to wag time from work if the boss wasnt coming in. You used to see many of the same faces week in week out. I had BSAs then and they were so knowledgable, knew all the part numbers without looking them up, all the family seemed to work there too. Gutted, another part of my history wiped out.
    Pic taken while stuck in traffic, please excuse quality and my mirror,lol, but if you ever went there you will see what I mean, the boarding to the right of the pic is where the corner of the shop used to be basically, on Kyotts Lake Road where the chippy used to be

20170213_105821.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Seems to be the way things are going these days.
    We used to have 2 bike shops in our town(used to pedal up there on our push bikes to see the latest model in the window) both long gone now.
    The internet doesn't help,with people not supporting their local bike shops.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Sad to read this :(

There was a great article on Vale Onslow (and a few other 'old school' parts dealers business's) in Bike magazine last year (I think). Lots of great pics that transported you back in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Must be a bit like Nelson & Fords, (Nick named Hudson & Ford at the time after the pop group) Whitmore way, Basildon where I bought my Suzi GT250, Tickets in Queens road Southend where I bought my Honda 50, & Costins, London road Westcliffe who were a Honda dealer, I think H&F & Costins still exist but Tickets went but building still there, also the Kwaka shop at Cuckoo corner, all haunts of the latter day saints! (Some bleedin' saint I was!)
    Nearly bought a Bonneville Silver Jubilee or a Norton Commando in that beautiful red from N&F, but at £1050 the repayments were just out of reach for me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Ready and waiting mate!

• Like Like x 2
  6. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Hey dont forget my X75 Hurricane, DD

• Like Like x 2
  7. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    lol I am so glad you remembered the H in farthings

• Like Like x 2
  8. jord001

jord001 Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Birmingham England
    They had to demolish the old shop because of the fire. Its really sad its happened but that's life. I remember going there myself to get some parts for my Honda CB50. They disappeared in the back and then reappeared with the parts, they always seemed to have anything you asked for. The Shop and workshop is over towards the Birmingham City football ground. So not too far away. They get some good reviews too.

Lee

• Like Like x 2
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad I will help if I can have a Brough.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Here's a couple I saw recently ...

DSCF2101.JPG

DSCF2102.JPG

His 'n' hers they were!

• Like Like x 4
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Stevethegoolie.
    Greedy people having two. They could give me one for Christmas. But aren't they beauties.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

#12 David Cooper, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    We'v'e got Westgate road in Newcastle, in the bygone years it was full of bike shops, there's a few left now but it's a pretty run down gloomy place , the new game round that area is spot the white man lol.

JS74580107.jpg
    Billy Connolly meets fans at the Kawasaki Motorcycle Store on Westgate Road, Newcastle

• Like Like x 1