V5c Mistake

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Pete Farrell, Mar 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    Greetings all,
    I have a 2016 Bonneville America Ltd edition model (8 ball paintwork) number 13 of 25 and after sorning the bike I went to re tax it on checking the V5c it was recorded as black in colour, I had not spotted this before, its actually Cream and Orange with gold coachline it also has a signed certificate from Triumph with the VIN number of the bike and a photo.
    What I would like to know is has anyone on the forum had a similar experience re the wrong colour being recorded in the V5c?
    Now we come to the pain in the arse bit! I had a look at the V5c and the DVLA website to see if it could be changed on line but you have to fill in the V5c,provide proof of the error, then send it of to Swansea. Not wanting to lose the original Triumph certificate (thankfully) I photocopied it added a covering letter etc off to the Post Office 1st class signed for delivery thinking that's that then 2/3 weeks new correct V5c.
    Wrong! the wonderful Royal Mail appear to have lost it. 4 days no arrival, 6 days no joy. Tried ringing the 0345 number to speak to a tape, tried another 0345 number exactly word for word tape you cannot get to speak to a human being. I then rang the DVLA just to check my letter hadn't slipped through the net I spoke to a very helpful lady who checked their system to see if any changes had been made to the V5c details none had, she advised me to give it a further 2 days then check again. As Royal Mail will not accept any claims for loss or damage/delay for 10 working days I cannot make a claim until tomorrow. I now have to apply for a new V5c £25.00,make further copies, and post it to Swansea as the DVLA want proof of the colour and you cannot do this over the internet.
    On the advice of our Postie I will send it by Special delivery (£6.45)which is tracked at every stage unlike signed for which is basically just normal mail but a signature is required. I do intend to claim for all the costs and will let you all know the outcome.
    Cheers, Pete.

2. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    Cheers Jack,
    I have no concerns re the V5c colour as I think Triumph will have just sent 25 bikes to 8 Ball and possibly the VIN numbers have already been at the DVLA prior to the paintwork (its a superb paint job by the way). I hear where you are coming from with Royal Mail my mate has recently had to travel to Edinburgh (speeding offence in a car) Sheriffs Court partly through Royal Mail losing his signed for licence and plea of guilty and then him losing the payment proof slip, a very costly experience with,unfortunately for him, no come back. The letter turned up 3 days after he got back here. Apparently they cannot/do not check a signed for letter except at initial postage and (if your letter gets there) when its signed for at delivery but don't hold your breath.

3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I am having issues with DVLA trying to get my logbook. I bought my bike on 06.12.17 and on the 07.12.17 sent in all the completed paperwork (including the dealer signed logbook) through special delivery. 6 weeks later I put a call through to DVLA and was told they have lost the paper work and a case has been raised. Then after numerous calls and more documents sent, now the DVLA says they are awaiting info from the previous owners confirmation the bike has infact been sold to me even though I sent all the receipt of purchase from the dealer and the HPI results etc. Since I have sent a new application as per DVLA's instruction. I am hoping to have this all resolved soon.

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I hope you guy all get your problems sorted soon. fwiw I have had a few dealings with DVLA over the years and have always found the staff I have dealt with very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014

6. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    You think the PO is bad, try looking at Hermes list of things that they won't pay out for when the courier has stolen them. I got tracking to customer as signed for, they were in all day and nothing was delivered let alone signed for so I claimed and they refused to pay.
    Search their terms and conditions and marvel at the things that are not covered, or try to work out what might be?