Usb Port

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Bucky, Feb 13, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi All,
    Fitted this today and im impressed, good bit of kit and charged my phone at full capacity.
    Have put it behind left hand sidecover, so no more removing seats when its time for optimate charging.
    Good bit of kit for price.

Screenshot_20220213-145309_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Thanks for sharing Bucky, I have often looked at these myself so it’s good to hear some positive feedback.

Just out of interest, is this type of USB port that is “always on” if you leave say a camera permanently connected? Just concerned about draining the battery.

Cheers

Geoff

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Yeah, think it is buddy, but simply unplug when your bye

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Good to see this thing claims "No power consumption in standby mode" because that's not necessarily true of these things, so something people should watch out for.

I measured my TomTom motorcyle satnav mount drawing current equal to 10% of rated battery capacity per week, so decided that I needed to include a method of disconnecting it. (I believe you don't get to use anywhere near the full capacity of the battery before it's drained to much to start engine or become damaged).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Stu9000

Stu9000 Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Kingston-upon-thames
    I bought one that looks exactly like yours but it shorted somewhere inside the sealed plastic and died within a couple of months. It did get wet though. I had mine cable tied to the black frame just forward of the edge of the fuel tank.
    I have just bought another one, with a dead switch which made it a little chunkier. I have mounted it under the seat, cable tied to the horizontal tube the seat sits on. Its inside but I can get a usb onto it without taking the seat off. Discreet. Protected. Hopefully will last.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    Would you be able to post a picture of where you have this mounted?

Thanks

7. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    • Like Like x 1