Urgent Info Need On Setting Up Ear Phones Via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chris Wise, Aug 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Going on holiday to Austria in a weeks time and want to replace my Garmin with a Tom Tom 550 and need to buy one soon .Need to know (sorry I do not have a clue about Bluetooth setting ) I need to know when setting up the ear phone via a Bluetooth do you have to have a smart phone ,which I do not have .What I want to do is just set up the ear phone to my Tom Tom and that is it .When reading the manual it always seems to go via a smartphone but can I just connect the ear phone to the Bluetooth without a smartphone ?

2. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    I have a tom Tom Tom ride 2 and I do not need a smart phone. Just ear plugs to TomTom with blue tooth

3. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    OK ,thanks for a quick reply .I will be off to the shop tomorrow to buy the Tom Tom 550 and a Bluetooth and hopefully have it all fitted by next week ready for my trip .Could not get on with the Garmin

4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    You don't need a phone. I have a Tom Tom Rider 550 and never used it with a phone. It's paired and works fine with a cheap bluetooth headset/intercom.

Obviously, if SatNav is not connected to a phone then it won't have internet access as you ride and so won't get live traffic and speed camera updates.

The built-in WiFi support of the SatNav will let you get updates wherever you have WiFi access, so in a pinch, if you have a phone that supports creating a WiFi hotspot, then you could use that (beware the amount of modile data that could use).

5. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Thanks brown mouse ,sorry to be so dump about all this tech stuff but I have never use Bluetooth ,My old Garmin had a 3mm socket for the ear plugs to fit in so no need for a Bluetooth device .Time to move into the 21 century .Thanks for confirming that ,When you look in the Manual it always shows a smartphone .I expect they assume everyone has a smartphone .I not bother about receiving texts or phone calls so the fact I can just plug in my ear phone to the Bluetooth device is perfect

• Like Like x 1
  6. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but 'bluetooth' is a short range wireless communications technology, so is not going to work with any existing wired headphones that just has a 3mm jack plug. You will need a bluetooth wireless headset.

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    And beware that some non bike related Bluetooth receivers that you can then plug wired headphones into do not connect to satnavs, ones similar to this
    74670499-7B7D-4CB9-B7BB-A50884BBF79E.png
    I beleive it’s something to do with protocols, someone will enlighten us. This is great for connecting to phone, when using it as a satnav, so you don’t have a wire trailing across your tank but as I said does not get recognised by tomtoms

8. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    The headset I use is... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5PH17X
    though the same thing seems to be cheaper with a different seller...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PKECDXI

The latter has the microphone on a stiff boom (good for open face or flip up helmets) the former just has the microphone loose on a cable (fits with supplied sticky velcro pads inside the chin bar of my full face helmet).

I only use it to listen to sanav instructions, but it also has FM radio, and connects to a phone for listening to music or receiving phone calls. It can also connect to another headset of the same type to act as an intercom. (I have actually tested all that functionality works but don't use it.)

It's a bit annoying that the charging cable uses the same socket that the mic and earphones uses but I've not had any problems in a year of plugging and unplugging the connector. One quirk I noticed is that the headset seems to bleep and power off after two or three hours and I have to press the power button to turn it on again.

9. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Thanks everyone. Yes I am aware I will not be able to use my existing ear speakers but I look at the Bluetooth device and most come with speakers that fit into the Bluetooth