Uneven Tyre Wear

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Sam Holmes, Jun 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sam Holmes

Sam Holmes Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Currently touring Europe on my explorer 1200 and noticed my front tyre and slightly my rear tyre has uneven wear distribution.
    I am carrying a pillion plus luggage and I try my best to distribute weight evenly.
    I set my suspension up to factory settings for both luggage and pillion prior to setting off.
    Anyone seen this before or any ideas on what caused it?
    New front tyre getting fitted tomorrow

4F0A1A1C-F540-4C25-82C5-DC0A0BA539A5.jpeg

3CC86BEC-5FA0-41BF-8BFF-6E526F4CF732.jpeg

29CFAD45-6A71-4DEA-9DB7-3F12CA1ADC1F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sam Holmes.
    Could be a number of things. Balance weights. Wheels out of line. tyre pressures. Someone not sitting properly on the bike disc rubbing. you say everything is balanced. Or even if you have ever had an accident and tend to lean better to one angle than the other. But no matter what it is its time to dump that front tyre and get it safe again. Don't just make do that tyre is dangerous.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    As far as I can see from your photos what you have there is entirely natural ‘cupping’.

Travelling two up fully loaded your tyres are doing their job and deforming. The pressure pattern varies from leading to trailing edge of each tread block. Result uneven wear that accelerates. Soft grippy rubber has its costs.

It is NOT, of itself, indicative of any imbalance although an imbalance can accelerate things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Sam Holmes

Apr 7, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Joe. New tyre getting fitted tomorrow.
    I’ve rechecked suspension this morning and all seems ok. Going to reassess packing the bike and tell the wife to lay off the chocolate biscuits. Hopefully see me through the rest of the trip

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sam Holmes

Apr 7, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I’ve been reading about cupping and the back tyre is typical of that. I was just concerned about the front with it been so uneven but I’ll check the weight distribution of our luggage and my wife’s arse and hopefully it will be ok

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    the tyre on the bottom photo looks wierd,i've never seen that kind of wear just on one side before?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Might be an oddity of road camber. We often corner much the same but with less available banking on RH bends than LH and vice versa on the Continent. There is no indication of total mileage on these tyres or on which side of the road and where the wear pattern first took hold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Do you spend most of your time on roundabouts ?...
    I have experienced similar wear you have on the front tyre but even on both sides.
    Probably to much cornering and braking without being upright.

Unless you are riding mostly on one side, it suggests something is out of line or balance as mentioned you need a new tyre ! but also get your bike checked - wheels and chassis parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

What like in National Lampoons European Vacation?

:joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sam Holmes.
    Great that tyre is an accident waiting mate. Yes very hot weather and hot tyres on constant roundabouts could accelerate that kind of wear especially a tired tyre but I would expect some on the rear aswel and like said soft rubber could wear quickly. But just for peace of mind do get that wheel balanced and check alinement. The fact alone with the load on the rear of the bike and not blaming your good lady but the accessories it seems extortionate for the front. Even taking into mind you steer with the front more. Just peace of mind. And none of us said do enjoy the rest of your holiday.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I was chatting to a guy a few weeks ago, he was a bit of a racer/track day guy. He was explaining to me how he had different tyres for track that were harder compound, which surprised me. Then he explained further that his road tyres have a harder centre but softer sides for cornering. I hadn't realised they could do that. I wonder if different compound accross the width of the tryre could be part of the story as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Notso
    Yes different compounds for specific applications. But should wear both sides. Unless like said roundabouts everywhere.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sam Holmes

Apr 7, 2019
    United Kingdom
    No more roundabouts than the next guy really.
    Tyre getting changed this morning so I’ll keep an eye out for early signs of the same problem.
    Thanks a lot

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I wouldn’t worry about it too much Sam, I’ve just changed my front tyre cos it was wearing on the right shoulder and I was having to put a bit of effort in by way of counter steering to get the bike to track where I wanted. There was plenty of life left in the tyre but the handling wasn’t right. Look at the bottom of the third pic, that was how my tyre had worn too. They look like Michelin? If they are dual compound like my Metzeler then that could explain it and I think your bike is a bit heavier than mine, plus you are presently touring with luggage and pillion so that will exacerbate the issue.
    Enjoy the rest of the trip, pics so far have been ace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The fact you are down to the wear bars on the shoulder ahead of the central tread tells its own heroic story........

about where the softer rubber is!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    It appears very under pressure, if both sides are wearing faster than the centre on the front tyre.
    When you brake the lower pressure allows the sides to push into the road and the centre regresses back
    Increase the psi on the front tyre when carrying heavier loads (passenger and bags)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

@Sam Holmes

Hi, have a pal who works for Michelin, showed him the pictures of your tyre wear. What pressures are you running? What does the book say for 2 up plus luggage ?

He is saying pressures is the first thing to check, as in you will wear the sides of your rear tyre if under-inflated. And also puts forward that the tyres are being ridden overly cautious and not using the tyre to it's full potential, and not pushing it enough.

So you are either a riding god and always on the side of the tyre or your very careful and never use it :p

He asked what kind of mileage have you done on these tyres?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    my front tyre has worn exactly the same, and on the same side. Its the same tyre too, a Michelin Pilot road 4. I use my bike mainly for work every day even through the winter, and its a 10 mile each way ride into Sheffield with 6 roundabouts. I put it down to the roundabouts being right handers. Then again, I haven't checked mi tyre pressures since I've had the bike......... oops. Tonights job, methinks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Red is correct, shoulder wear like that is caused when breaking, (tyre deforms) if pressure is not adjusted a new tyre will go the same way.

21. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    I replaced the Bridgestone T30s on my Speed Triple 2 weeks ago after riding a mate's Hornet and realising how much I had to work at corners. It was flattened off to one side (right, I think), but still had plenty of tread. A pair of Angel STs went on - puncture yesterday!!!