Thruxton Uneven Bluing Of Exhaust Pipes

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by OneEyeMan, Jul 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OneEyeMan

OneEyeMan Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    I came back from a long ride yesterday and noticed that the left pipe, right where it comes out of the cylinder was bright blue. The right one only has a little blue in it.
    Is this something to be concerned about? The bike only has 800 miles on it.
    Thanks all.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Probably nothing to be overly concerned about. I assume you have the 865 aircooled Thrux,

IF EFI: you may want to look at the throttle body pairing in TuneECU and re-sync them.

IF CARB: inspect and re-sync, of course that is a manual process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OneEyeMan

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    It’s a brand new RS 1200. I’m taking it in for the initial maintenance next week and I’ll ask the service tech about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Almost certainly nothing to worry about, my 1200S down pipes have blued from the cylinder head to the first ‘bend’ and I like it!
    As your in for its first check up next week worth mentioning the difference in bluing rate between the two pipes just to put your mind at rest:)
    I think all single skinned down pipes blu so it’s quite normal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OneEyeMan

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    Thanks for the replies all.
    The only thing I'm really concerned about is that both pipes haven't turned blue. I'll let you know what the tech says after service.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    When I bought my Thruxton S new in 2017 it was nominally a demonstrator and as such had about 100km on the clock. The left pipe had a noticeable straw colour. It has gradually blued - I am now at 10,000km - while the right has barely changed colour. When I took the bike in for its first service I asked the dealer about it but he was not very interested. I have noticed that in many photos of 1200 engine bikes the pipes show different discolouring with the left pipe always being the one most likely to have blued.

I have had no problems with the engine, and am still running the original software as I never experienced the stalling issue, and I find the throttle response is perfect. Have checked the throttle balance which is OK so assume it is just a peculiarity of the engine design.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    OneEyeMan
    Not a problem at all. What year is the bike. My 18 plate hasn't blued at all as it is double skinned. My 10 plate blue's all the time i like it as well. But when it gets to much i just get the wire wool polishing grade and autosol and polish it back same with my 675 as the pipes are stainless.Other things that can affect the colouring is if there was some grease or polish on there when you rode the bike.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OneEyeMan

Apr 29, 2019
    USA

9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    OneEyeMan
    I don't think you need to worry any about it. Think your pipes are chrome. So just polish them over with a cloth and autosol if it bothers you.
    Regards
    Joe.

10. flattrack42

flattrack42 New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    south jersey
    Bought a new Standard in Philly back in '16. As soon as I got on the highway heading home I heard popping on let-off ,which made me look at the pipes. Sure enough, the left pipe at the cyl was turning yellow. Called the dealer when I got home 55 mi away and he seemed to pass it off.The right pipe was still bright chrome. Eventually got a recall from Tri saying the pipes 'may' be unevenly colored and to take to dealer for re-mapping. Now daze they are both blue near head but slightly different. Think the cat may be the reason there is occasional popping, so that will come off.

• Like Like x 1