Under The Bus. Staring The Bmf

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bikerman, Dec 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    I know a few of you don't go a bundle on this guy, but that aside, the content of this video is worth listening too, especially the part about the BMF. That's why I've been a MAG member for donkeys years now. Never thought the BMF was any good, and never will.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Big brother is coming. Inevitable. :(:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Golgotha

Golgotha Byronic Anti-Hero
    Subscriber

Feb 5, 2021
    Out In Front.
    Over here something like this would get sued all the way up to the SCOTUS if need be, and considering our similar success with firearms, we'd likely win.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    UK to ban petrol motorcycles by 2035
    When it was announced, back in December 2020, that combustion-fuelled cars and vans would be banned from sale in the UK from 2030, motorcycles appeared to have dodged a bullet. Alas, last week’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan has sealed their fate, with the Department for Transport announcing that from 2035, “all new L-category vehicles to be fully zero emissions at the tailpipe”. L-category vehicles, or Powered Light Vehicles, comprise powered two and three-wheelers (motorbikes, mopeds etc), quadricycles and 'micro cars'.

[​IMG]
    This is the first time that motorcycles have faced specific proposals regarding electrification, with the government committing to “consult this year on a phase out date of 2035, or earlier if a faster transition appears feasible, for the sale of new non-zero emission powered two and three wheelers (and other L category vehicles)”.

The Department for Transport plan goes on to state: “Zero emission motorcycles and other powered two wheelers are an efficient and clean form of mobility that can reduce congestion, improve urban air quality and reduce noise – we will take forward measures to remove these emissions, including consulting on a date to end the sale of new non-zero emission motorbikes, ensuring we support the development of new industrial opportunities for the UK.”

Despite motorcyclists’ hopes that two-wheelers would remain exempt from the combustion cull due to their relative minority on the roads, the report elaborates” “While cars and vans outnumber motorcycles on UK roads, motorcycles are an important and sizeable vehicle population, with 1.4 million licensed in 2020 and we do not want to see them remaining fossil fuelled as the rest of the vehicle fleet cleans up.”

Support for electric motorcycles is also detailed in the plan. Included in a package of “financial and non-financial incentives” is a further £582 million for plug-in car, van, taxi, and motorcycle grants until 2022-23, in order to reduce zero-emission vehicle purchase prices for consumers. Opportunities for zero emission light powered vehicles will also be explored through Zemo’s (formerly the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership) partnership with the Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA).

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Well he really slams the BMF and bigs-up MAG and I have to agree with him. MAG are the only organisation representing US that seem to be on the ball. I find it hard to understand why some people seem reluctant to spend a few quid to support them. As he says, those that proclaim 'I don't do politics' really need to think again if they care about the soon-to-be future of motorcycling. And the response 'I'll be dead by then, so I don't care'..well, I won't say what I think of that, it would be too offensive.

However,I don't agree with everything he says. For example, the idea that legislation to prevent us altering our bikes (ant-tampering..something I posted about on here a couple of months ago) will be retrospective. I can't see how that could work, other than through the MOT system or police checks. Not all vehicles require an MOT and traffic police are almost non-existent. I can't see dealers 'dobbing us in' when it comes to servicing or they'll lose business. We'd also have the support of the car-customising mob as well.

His condemnation of this government is well-founded though. Anyone who still trusts them, then in my opinion, needs their head examined. They lie to us repeatedly. They deny their mistakes. They change their mind and never apologise. They have made some appalling decisions, for example re-employing cabinet members who have badly let us down and should be gone (Priti Patel..wtf?!). And their handling of this pandemic during the first half of 2020 was mind-blowingly incompetent, resulting in the deaths of 1000's of people that should have been avoided! They try to cover their mistakes with words like 'unprecedented' (anyone with half a brain could see Covid coming), 'challenging' (the most basic and obvious preventative measures were dismissed or ignored..er, masks?, airports?) and 'follow the science' (if we fuck-up then blame the scientists not us).
    And don't get me started on Johnson's 'taking the piss' attitude and everything's a big joke. I can't understand why his popularity hasn't fallen through the floor, are the British public asleep?

So having said all that, I have no hesitation in believing that legislation will be introduced to make motorcycling as difficult and unpopular as possible, unless YOU do something about it.

Sorry I'm ranting again, but hey, I care.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Senior Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I trust NO politician, whatever the colour of their flag. Johnson has proved to be the massive disappointment that I expected on all the main topics that concern me. Illegal immigration, Brexit, housing, "Green" issues, integrity of ALL MPs, Covid, confusing minors on sexuality. He has surrounded himself by people who have their fingers in as many tills as possible and takes advice from only those who have something to gain. As a white, straight, middle aged , middle class man, I will struggle to find a candidate who represents me and is worthy of my vote at any forthcoming election.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I'm pretty sure that my political views are not all the same as yours but I fully agree with you that finding worthy politicians is tricky. I believe that many go into politics with genuine and honest intentions, but often have to make compromises as they progress. Unfortunately those that become cabinet ministers seem to have dropped much of that honesty and some display appalling acts of dishonesty. This Prime Minister seems to think this is a virtue and these people deserve a place at his table.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    In my opinion ALL politicians are lying self serving twats, no exceptions. The only person I've had any time for in the last ten years is Nigel because now and then he speaks his mind. He's still a twat though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I think you're wrong about all politicians being lying, self serving twats. I'm sure some of them are, there are good and not-so-good people in most professions, but many go into the job with the intention of making a worthwhile contribution. However in order to make positive changes and get things done they sometimes have to compromise and agree to things they're not 100% happy about. That's the nature of politics. If all politicians stuck rigidly to their own agenda and weren't prepared to do this, then nothing would get done. It's unfortunate that this current government does have an abundance of lying, self-serving twats in the cabinet, which means ALL politicians get tarred with the same brush in the eyes of the public. It hasn't always been like this.
    And thank you for giving us a perfect example of a lying, self-serving twat of a politician :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    We'll have to agree to disagree then if you're happy with that.

11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Reckon so.