Unable To Wheelie

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sage Craver NREMT, Mar 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. My 900cc Street Twin will not power wheelie in first gear.

I come from a CBR300R and im used to clutching up in first gear around 12pmh, where I red line and drop the clutch.
    I understand that 900cc bikes can flip if you do that and have researched power wheelies.
    I'm trying by putting it in road mode, turning off traction control, getting a rolling start at 10mph and suddenly going almost full throttle.
    I am being slingshoted forward at incredible speed but I can't seem to achieve front wheel lift. I'm instnctively bracing forward as opposed to leaning back which i know is wrong, but other than that I feel a 900 should still wheelie in 1st.
    I would love to hear your thoughts, but only if you actually can power up, no talking out of your ass, I'm not trying to wreck a brand new triumph.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I have a new street twin, I doubt it has enough grunt to power wheelie, not unless you try it over a crest. Also have a superduke, 4th and 5th gear power wheelies all you want! Even if you did manage a power wheelie, the street twin will probably run out of revs too fast to be able to hold it up. Better trying it in second and use the clutch if wheelies are your thing :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thank you, I'm going to give it a shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    The big thing to remember about wheelies is that if it goes wrong you will look a complete and utter cock, it sort of goes “look at me, look at me!” Crunch!*$*!, practicing cornering skills to become a canyon demon it probably time better spent if you want to impress people but hey, everyone is different:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    I too own a street twin. But I am usually busy keepings both wheels on the ground.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Do you keep forgetting to put the side stand down?

:)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    Let's just say I try not to ride around nap time.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I shan’t embarrass myself (again) reminding people how many times (three) I have thought I put the stand down (hadn’t properly) and slowly keeled over.

I thought for a moment that you might have been as daft as me (and one or two other notable members of the forum)!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    I did do that once. Luckily it was with my first bike. Which weighed 326 lbs. For a long time after that when I pulled into the garage I kept repeating "kick stand fully deployed, kick stand fully deployed....."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

To be fair one of my three ‘oh dear’ moments was a unique mishap never to be repeated. It was a series of inconsequential events that ended up with the bike on its side.

I think could have done the same thing a trillion times again and never dropped it.

No damage done. No one would know about how stupid it was, if I could only stop telling people about it!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Start out slow till you get where the power is starting to come on and give it a quick off throttle, snap open and a tug on the bars, you can even lean forward with the throttle off and lean back on the bar tug throttle open if it needs extra help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Start out slow till you get where the power is starting to come on and give it a quick off throttle, snap open and a tug on the bars, you can even lean forward with the throttle off and lean back on the bar tug throttle open if it needs extra help.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

So surprised that some sicko wag hasn’t done the obvious joke about ‘not being able to get it up, and have you tried a blue tablet’.

Thankfully that hasn’t happened and we can move on.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Abirnie

Abirnie Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Seems you’re the sicko hahaha

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Does it not have ‘anti wheelie’ built in to the ECU and traction control? That may be the reason why you are going off the line like a stabbed rat. It’s for your safety and those around you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    My old BMW R80 has anti-wheelie and traction control built into the carbs and ABS built into the ancient Brembos and rear drum...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    It's nice to have that out of the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    No but there is a little blue bottle that does almost the same thing;):p

Wheelies ...is not big, and it's not clever and often ends in cuts and bruises.....if you're lucky.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. I wheelied a lot on my previous bike, and for me that rush and unfamiliar feeling felt so cool. Not only did it remind my of how it felt to go fast when I first started riding, but it gave me a new way to experience my bike, and a reason to go out and ride, but also a reason to wear more and more protective gear. Being able to have that amount of control over your machine can help really familiarize you with its weight and torque. And really help you have a better understanding of what your machine can do if you push it to give past what you previously have.

• Useful Useful x 1