Touring UK Trip - August

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by MattGaydon, Mar 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    #1 MattGaydon, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    So me and my wife are planning to ride around the coast of the UK in August. I have been busy planning routes (stealing routes from magazines) and getting dates sorted.

The plan is to leave on the 8th Aug from home (Guildford) and move anti-clockwise around the coast. We are unfortunately missing off Scotland from the trip as I'd like to go up another time and spend a longer time there.

I think it'll be a two week trip and the route is this...
    Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 10.52.53.png
    I just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone had any recommendations of things to see/places to stay/where to eat etc...

Also if anyone wants to join for any part of it you'd be more than welcome! We can't wait to ride around the coast and the more the merrier!

Cheers chaps!

• Like Like x 3
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I started looking into doing this then thought when am I going to get the time during summer! Maybe one for when I retire, if I can still ride bikes at 95
    It's worth booking accommodation early as it's going to be a busy time. Pay a bit extra so you can cancel if you make changes to your trip at a later date. Join the reward scheme of major brands some give a saving like ibis and holiday inn. Always handy for over nighters

• Like Like x 2
  3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    That's a good idea!

Fortunately we have a few friends dotted around so there's only a few places we need to sort!

We're both teachers so have to whole summer off to pottle around in the heat wave we're certain to have...right?

4. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Thanks Bikerman that sounds good I'll take a look!

5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    That's a shame cos going by the Politics thread Mr.O is planning to declare Independence so then you'll need to carry your passport as well as a phrase book.

Otherwise sounds like a cracking idea I might pinch for myself and my tent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    sounds good ,look forward to the pics,I've never thought about doing that, it will be interesting to hear how you get on

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    How long have you planned for it to take?

8. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    14 days...we're not planning on doing that longer days. I think it averages out to a few hours a day.

We're hoping that Phoebe will have a Street Twin by then so we going to be taking it easy as she's never ridden before let alone long distances!

• Like Like x 2
  9. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I've pinched a lot of the routes out of Adventure Bike Magazine who ran a series of weekend routes that you could tack together!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    You'll have to let us know when you're going to be around the Norfolk/Suffolk coast. A couple or four of us from Bedford will be taking some ride outs that way in the sunshine and will happily interpret the local lingo for you.

11. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Perfect a translator would be excellent!!

I think we're going to be heading from Deal (Kent) to Hull over the 9th/10th with a stop in Ipswich sort of way if anyone is around!!

Even if it's just a drink in the eve would be good to meet some folks!

12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hull - UK City of Culture 2017 - well worth a visit (Premier Inn just past The Deep).
    Beverley, Bridlington, Flamborough Head (excellent café/restaurant close to the lighthouse), Scarborough (obligatory lap of Olivers' Mount required), Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby (obligatory fish and chips) plus North Yorks Moors Railway.
    You will need a week, or more, in God's Own Country (Yorkshire of course - do I really have to spell it out??), once you've crossed the Humber Bridge.:cool::):)
    The above is just the thin end of a VERY BIG wedge.:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  13. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Thanks a lot!!

To be honest 14 days doesn't seem anywhere near enough to see everything we want but we can always come back another time!!!

14. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Treat your trip as a recce mission and see where you would like to return to next time. You should end up with a list as long as your arm(s) which will keep you entertained for ages.:)
    And when you've tired of that lot, you have Scotland, Ireland and the near continent (and beyond) to have a go at.:cool:
    You really don't have time for work!!!:eek:

15. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I totally agree that I have no time to work! I have soooo many trips in my mind!

Early retirement (very very early) sounds like a plan! Just a lottery win away for it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The route looks very interesting I might 'tag on' on the 'Northern' parts if I'm around at the time and not bombing of to do the 'Alps' again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Yes you absolutely should! Where abouts would you join? Just so I can send some rough dates through!

18. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    South of the Humber bridge cos it's a free ride over!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Bloody (good) Yorkshireman!!:eek: Owt for nowt!!:cool::D

I think I can feel a convoy coming on.:) But knowing my luck ..... :(.

20. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You joining us 'Goolie'?