Uk To Ban Petrol Motorcycles By 2035

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bikerman, Dec 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Neal H

Neal H Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    You can still use your existing bike beyond 2035 and buy an existing used petrol bike for as long as you can still get fuel, you just won’t be able to buy a new petrol bike from 2035.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!
    Subscriber

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    Thanks Neal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neal H

Neal H Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    I’m not fundamentally opposed to electric cars or bikes - I have an electric mountain bike and think it’s brilliant.

I just don’t see the big advantage of going electric, as I think the CO2 benefits will in reality be marginal and we’re not prepared to address the real problem - population growth. By pushing for such an early transition we’re committing to having to invest hundreds of billions into infrastructure over the next ten years and we’ve got the Covid debt to pay off first!

Still, there’s plenty of opportunity yet for the 2030/2035 date to ‘slip’ - we’ll have at least two changes of government before 2030, and they can blame their predecessors for not having invested quickly enough in the required infrastructure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I've already got my mobility scooter. It's a Speed Triple RS :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Just joined MAG after watching the video. Maybe too late but have to try something :confused:

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Depends how shit your house is.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Noble Member

Just a few, rambling, random thoughts...

California has already announced a future ban on small, gasoline powered engines; lawn mowers/tractors, weed whackers, blowers and the like. Landscapers are going to be crushed. A lot of crap that originates in California usually flows eastward, so other states will likely follow. I imagine they already have motorcycles in their sights, but haven't said anything yet.

I'm not against alternative power sources. My back yard is fenced in, with a lot of obstacles, as well, so the big John Deere ZT mower isn't useable there. We are getting in in-ground pool, I won't have as much grass to cut in the back. So, I bought an EGO, battery powered, self-propelled mower. It kicks ass! I was a little concerned about power and run time. As it turns out, my worries were unfounded. Plenty of power. It's comparable to my old gasoline powered mower and there's plenty of run time. I like it so much that I bought EGO's weed whacker and leaf blower. No fuel to buy, mix or pour. No oil changes. No air filter to change. No spark plug to replace. No wearing out my shoulder yanking on a pull starter. All EGO batteries of different mAh fit all their equipment. Very convenient. Batteries are expensive, but two years on and the batteries are still going strong.

Hydrogen? The last noteworthy vehicle that utilized hydrogen:

Hindenburg.PNG

I know, I know...it wasn't the fuel source...just sayin'

That being said, the hydrogen powered engine does show promise. If they can work out the bugs and get the price down, I think it will eventually eclipse battery power.

9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member
    Subscriber

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The tech to build a Hydrogen ICE is here, it's not that dissimilar to petrol engines burning LPG altough it isn't a simple bolt-on upgrade like a LPG conversion is. A Hydrogen burning engine still has the familiar mechanics of existing petrol engines but the whole fueling and exhaust system is designed to make the best and safe use of the gas which also entails using different materials. Also, strictly speaking, Hydrogen ICE's are not 100% pollution free. Hydrogen combustion in oxygen produces only water vapour, combustion in air prduces oxides of Nitrogen. which must be filtered out. As said, the tech is available but the biggest problem to overcome is the efficient and carbon free, large scale production of Hydrogen. Hello nuclear power, it's the only answer.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. PatW

PatW Active Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Andy Pandy, I've had Laverdas for years and waiting literally months to find parts, even used is an absolute nightmare, when they stopped manufacturing in 1984.if you have an old brit bike, you are quids in as there's a thriving business for spares and remanufacture, it really does depend what marque you own, its not a even across the years or manufacturer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Fair enough. My 50 year old bike is a Honda. There's a reasonable availability of spares and cross model compatibility. I've also had bits made at a fraction of the cost of genuine spares.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. PatW

PatW Active Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    I've turned up spacers, and various other bits but series 1 sfc tanks are made of unobtainium, starter motors £600 plus shipping from wherever in the world you find one, then however much it costs to get it overhauled on top. That's why I sold everything and bought the T100, you probably just have to ring David Silverman spares you lucky bugger.;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    One of the main reasons for buying a Honda was the availability of spares. What I really wanted most was a 2 stroke Suzuki but I thought that might prove to be a bit too problematic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PatW

PatW Active Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    I al
    I sold my S3 kawasaki for the same reason.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member
    Subscriber

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    And in years to come when storm Arwen strikes again wiping out the electricity supply infrastructure again for thousands ........

Only this time nobody still has gas fires or wood burners in their house to keep them warm because they've all been banned.
    That old petrol generator you hid away is no use because most petrol stations have now closed and your electric car hasn't enough range left to reach the nearest one.
    The electricity engineers are struggling to restore your power 'cos you're too far from a working charge point for them to reach you .........in their electric vans..........

My grandchildren are doomed! :scream::scream: :laughing::joy:

We are already too heavily dependent on electricity, if fossil fuels are banned I hope some alternatives fill their place!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!
    Subscriber

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Hell, even horses would be frowned upon… produce too much methane, and the vegans would be revolting…

;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Col_C

Subscriber

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    All those post-apocalyptic films made for "Entertainment" ..........
    Now re-categorised as "Educational" ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    You know when we have those petrol shortages and no one can get any fuel so they take to sticking a screwdriver into your tank and drain the fuel out? Well all we need to do is to work out how to drain the electrickery out of other peoples vehicles, then we can get around and power our house all in one go.....? No? Especially those with multiple vehicles, I mean how many can they use at the same time....
    P.S. If we go down this route I'm going to have some solar panels and a pile of logs....

19. Col_C

Subscriber

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Afraid your plan is flawed, you can keep the solar panels, but the eco-police will be round to confiscate your logs just in case you set fire to them.
    I'm sure before long we'll be hearing of people waking up to find their charging lead plugged in to their next door neighbour's car (or house?). Not to mention all the litigation from those tripping over leads draped across the path.
    :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PatW

PatW Active Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Well I'm fucked then, I live in a village with no bus service, a 3 litre landcruiser and a 2.5 litre V6 camper van. We use an oil fired raeburn range for cooking and hot water and a log burner for additional warmth. It's clearly all my fault. o_O

• Funny Funny x 3