Uk To Ban Petrol Motorcycles By 2035

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bikerman, Dec 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    UK to ban petrol motorcycles by 2035
    When it was announced, back in December 2020, that combustion-fuelled cars and vans would be banned from sale in the UK from 2030, motorcycles appeared to have dodged a bullet. Alas, last week’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan has sealed their fate, with the Department for Transport announcing that from 2035, “all new L-category vehicles to be fully zero emissions at the tailpipe”. L-category vehicles, or Powered Light Vehicles, comprise powered two and three-wheelers (motorbikes, mopeds etc), quadricycles and 'micro cars'.

[​IMG]
    This is the first time that motorcycles have faced specific proposals regarding electrification, with the government committing to “consult this year on a phase out date of 2035, or earlier if a faster transition appears feasible, for the sale of new non-zero emission powered two and three wheelers (and other L category vehicles)”.

The Department for Transport plan goes on to state: “Zero emission motorcycles and other powered two wheelers are an efficient and clean form of mobility that can reduce congestion, improve urban air quality and reduce noise – we will take forward measures to remove these emissions, including consulting on a date to end the sale of new non-zero emission motorbikes, ensuring we support the development of new industrial opportunities for the UK.”

Despite motorcyclists’ hopes that two-wheelers would remain exempt from the combustion cull due to their relative minority on the roads, the report elaborates” “While cars and vans outnumber motorcycles on UK roads, motorcycles are an important and sizeable vehicle population, with 1.4 million licensed in 2020 and we do not want to see them remaining fossil fuelled as the rest of the vehicle fleet cleans up.”

Support for electric motorcycles is also detailed in the plan. Included in a package of “financial and non-financial incentives” is a further £582 million for plug-in car, van, taxi, and motorcycle grants until 2022-23, in order to reduce zero-emission vehicle purchase prices for consumers. Opportunities for zero emission light powered vehicles will also be explored through Zemo’s (formerly the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership) partnership with the Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA).

• Like Like x 2
  2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member
    Subscriber

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I was outside a chippy the other night - a Porsche with thru exhaust came up the road and a little boy said "wow - what a car". Luckily a Nissan Leaf pulled into the chippy sounding like an electric food mixer. I said to the lad " that's what you'll be hearing when you can drive" - his face fell. It made me chuckle - and his mum....

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member
    Subscriber

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I really couldn't give a toss, they can stick their "financial and non financial incentives" where the sun doesn't shine. At this rate petrol/diesel will see me out. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!
    Subscriber

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    #4 DCS900, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Has anyone here actually ridden a zero emission bike? Just curious what they’re like from the perspective of a biker. And what about the development of hydrogen combustion... is that gonna fall foul of this commitment I wonder?

Edit - this chap blows hydrogen out of the water (geddit?) as any real potential for motorbikes (though he is specifically looking at car/van vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member
    Subscriber

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Ah!, a bike with a Hydrogen ICE, a completely different cookie to a battery powered, 2 wheeled, twist-and-go shopping trolley. It should look and ride exactly like a steed with a climate crushing petrol engine and sound virtually the same but affordable, large scale production is probably decades away. This quest towards electric everything is going to fall flat on it's face at some point, IMO. There are already issues arising with Lithium production snd supply.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I've just got a hunch that all this go electric thing is going to come unstuck at some stage. The price of an electric car is prohibitive to most people. How many people live in blocks of flats or have double yellow lines outside their house. Who is going to buy a second hand car where the first thing they will need is a new battery at £5,000. It just smacks of politicians making stupid decisions like they did with diesel but on a much grander scale.
    As for ICE bikes, i'll make dam sure I pass at least one on to my grandson Tom.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. PatW

PatW Active Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Once 2035 arrives the price of petrol (if you can find any) will be prohibitively expensive anyway and garages will be electric/hydrogen recharge stations, hell, you'll probably require an explosives licence to buy it. Classic bikes will be worthless or priceless museum pieces and who will bother to build spare parts, triumph already don't hold some stock parts of 10 year old bikes even now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    Yep, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
    Trouble is, if you believe in climate change, what else can be done? I can't keep burning fossil fuels in my bike and feel good about it. However, at the moment, our electricity is being generated using more than 50% fossil fuels so it just doesn't make much sense at this point in time. Especially when you take into account the extra co2 generated in the manufacture of the vehicle. I'm hoping I'll still be able to ride when electric bikes are affordable and make sense because they sound like they have some real go, I know I've been surprised at how fast some of the electric cars can take off in the traffic light drag.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PatW

PatW Active Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    They are apparently pretty fast and torquey, for about 50-80 miles, the claimed range is a bit like what car producers were doing in the 90s, running just the engine without the actual chassis, in a lab and claiming 50mpg. Reality is you can't trust any manufacturer to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What do you mean will be prohibitively expensive, it already is :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    And they need artificial sound downloadable like phone ringtones. Aftermarket sounds will replace aftermarket exhausts. Could be like riding a different bike each day - triple one day, twin the next etc. Plus volume control of course which could be maxed out when filtering to make sure dozy car drivers are paying attention :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Neal H

Neal H Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    Car related, but Volvo stated that the manufacture of the all electric XC40 produces 70% more CO2 than the manufacture of an internal combustion engine XC40.

They went on to state that you would have to travel up to 145,000 kilometres to recover the difference.

so if your average new car buyer buys a new car every 3 to 5 years having travelled between 30,000 and 50,000 miles, they would do less damage to the planet by buying the ICE version.

I’m not convinced that banning ICE vehicles from 2030 will make any difference to climate change.

If you really want to act on climate change, stop buying stuff. The problem with that is it’s really bad for the economy and jobs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Nonsense. 2035 is only thirteen years away. I already have a bike that is fifty years old. It is neither priceless nor worhless and I can get most of the spares I need or get the parts made.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    Or better still STOP FRIGING BREEDING.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Neal H

Neal H Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    Yep, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The human population continues to grow at a scary rate and every one of us is a consumer. If you’re not prepared to address population growth then you’re not prepared to address climate change, and no democratic government would be prepared to go down that road!

Even the Chinese dictatorship which doesn’t have an electorate to worry about gave up trying to control baby production.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    The 145,000KM was based on the ratio of global electricty production, but if you use the EU mix of electric generation it's 84,000KM and if using purely wind it's 47,000KM. It seems to me it's all about how greenly we generate the electricity for both manufacturing and driving. I guess the hope is that we will slowly progress to green electricity. So if you live in a country that uses a lot of renewables to produce your electric it makes more sense than one that uses mainly coal etc....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    I'll be riding a mobility scooter by then......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    We could slash the amount of CO2 being pushed out tomorrow. Just cut the number of cars allowed per house to one. But they won't do that will they, it's too inconvenient.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#19 Cyborgbot, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2021
    I think the Chinese reversed that baby rule as they have started to reassert themselves on the world’s political stage. They figure they will need the extra people. For some reason…

China is an interesting country. Unified it has always done well, when divided at the mercy of the Japanese and Western powers. There are many initiatives that they are employing to sway traditional Western aligned countries to side with them such as infrastructure funding, capture of the victim countries’ politicians sentiments by creating debt and influence.

Barbados is an example where they are casting off ties with the UK due to their closer alignment to China. Some countries have struggled to repay their debts to China and have forfeited strategic ports, airports and infrastructure to the Chinese. They are also investing heavily in western technology, minerals and ores, and stealing information by sending loads of students (and funding) to Western universities.

The US, EU and the UK are offering finance to counter this without the ‘strings attached’ that come with Chinese money.

It’s all in the news at the moment.

They play a long and coordinated game. We don’t. They will do better…

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    This stinks. Z+&$#@&)) and [email protected]+)(. Now that I got that off my chest just what does the government plan to do when the deadline arrives. Are they going to grandfather in owners existing bikes. Or just send a mobile crusher around to your house?

• Agree Agree x 1