Uk License And Bike Choice

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Chris.Topher, Oct 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris.Topher

Chris.Topher New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Hampshire
    Hay, new here!

I'm 20 and wanting to be able to ride a bike asap - I've just signed up for a provisional license and if some can confirm to get the A2 I need to get: CBT, Theory, Practical?

I Really want to get either a Thunderbird Commander Or preferably a Rocket Roadster but can a restrictor be put on the RR to make it legible for the A2 license? Also I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to actually driving not to mention I'm also tiny - 5.4" and around 8 and a half stone if this makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice!!!

2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Fantastic ride choice, :imp:but probably not suitable for a learner both weight and power wise.:skull:
    A cheap Bonnie will enable you to improve your experience :Dand you should be able to recoup most of your purchase price if it isn’t damaged :weary_face:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Chris.Topher

Chris.Topher New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Hampshire
    Was wondering if a bit ambitious :laughing: any model you'd recommend?
    Thanks!

4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #4 Dartplayer, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Budget dependent, but based on the 2 cruisers you want longer term, I would recommend a T100 or Triumph America

55C8D1A4-081E-4E1D-8D03-B5B1B1FF07EF.jpeg

6ECC998E-E40C-49C4-BE59-338D8A96AFFD.jpeg

791B41D7-547E-4285-BC4E-278741895678.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Another thing to consider is as a new and inexperienced rider is what will be your insurance premiums be looking at your 2 preferred bikes, obviously that depends how big your wallet is.
    My advise would be buy a bike that you feel comfortable on and you can get both feel flat on the floor as a starter.

Welcome to the forum Chris:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I struggle to take such two wheeled ambitions seriously from someone allegedly without a licence of any kind and dainty physique. Having a laugh?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    That's harsh mate. We all have to start somewhere and I'm no giant at 5 foot 7, but I do OK on two wheels and have done for the last 50 years or so. I have to admit to being just a tad heavier than our new member though! :( Welcome to the forum Chris. As has been stated already, I'd get some insurance quotes for the bikes you are proposing to buy first, if that doesn't scare you to death then best wishes with your choice of steed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome, agree with the advise given walk before you can run

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Oh I am happy to take it back if I am wrong. Nothing wrong with young ambition but it skates on the line that smacks of a wind up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Chubzilla

Chubzilla Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    Welcome bud,

I'm new to the world of bikes and kind of had the opposite problem to you ergonomic wise, I'm 5"11 and 18st, I had a lot of great advice and I took alot on board but ultimately made my own choice.

Looks wise I'm extremely happy with my choice

But..

For learning/improving skills it probably wasn't the best choice but not hurrendous.

Best advice I could give is go sit on a few different bikes, it ruled out a couple instantly for me.

Good luck bud

• Like Like x 3
  11. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Going back to the basic question. To start riding a bike you will need to pass the following :- CBT, Theory test. Practical test part1 and then part 2. That will gain you an A2 licence. You will then be allowed to ride a motorcycle of 47bhp or less. You can ride a bike with a higher performance, provided that it is not more than 94bhp and then restricted to 47 bhp. That excludes the Rocket 3 as it makes more than 94bhp as standard.

Look carefully at the costs involved and get a quote from a training school for the training to get to A2 standard, in the region of £600. Plus the kit you will need once you have passed your test.

My grandson has just passed his A2 and is looking to buy a bike he is getting insurance quotes of around £1300/£1500 for a bike restricted to 47bhp or even one that is 47bhp to start with, such as the Honda CB500 range.

Best of luck to you I hope you become a motorcyclist but it will be an expensive journey

• Like Like x 8
  12. Chubzilla

Chubzilla Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    Oh and don't take comments to heart, I feel like a fool pretty much everytime I post but I love the nice, piss taking, sarcastic, helpful comments, as all are helpful in there own way.

It takes all sorts to build a community, hope your quest for 2 wheels is smooth

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Welcome Chris,
    Lots of good advice given already all I can add is don't cheap out on gear, coz you will probably come off at some point and good protection will minimise physical pain, unfortunately not the financial pain:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Chris.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    welcome mate
    please never ride around in flip flops.. a skimpy pair of shorts and an open face helmet - as I saw someone do a couple of years ago in Bishop Auckland

no matter how hot it gets protective bike gear is essential for saving your skin

C

• Like Like x 8
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:
    There is some good advice on here regarding your post and speaking as someone who got their licence at the age of 55 with no previous motorcycle experience I can tell you that the last bike you would want to ride just after passing your CBT and fist test would be a Rocket Roadster (it literally would be the last bike you would ride!) :eek:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chris.Topher

Chris.Topher New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Hampshire
    Thanks for the advice and to everyone that's replied!!!

o_O:joy: easy to let thoughts get carried away - personal reasons haven't been able to until now but been as a passenger numerous times and have been itching to get my own for years.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    One thing I do see is a lot of born again bikers who had a bike in the 70s and 80s who don't relearn to ride on something gentle.. but go for the most powerful aggressive sports bike they can afford,,,, and end up scaring themselves badly and getting rid of it back to the sedate sadness of a car... or wrapping themselves around a tree or lamp-post when the bike gets away from them

most of us old hands started off on a 100 or 250cc and worked up to what we have now....take time to learn how to ride a bike after the CBT -in all weathers and then get a bigger bike

I was quite shocked by the difference between the 04 bonneville and the sprint when I first got it...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I had a Honda CBF 125 for a year after passing my CBT. Did over 5000 miles in all weathers to get the experience.
    Plenty of time for the "big bike". :cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    OK. I take it back. The biking equivalent of a Raquel Welch (Google her!) poster on your wall before your first girlfriend :joy:

It’s all been said. Walk before you run and gain basic skills on something manageable and that you can (financially and emotionally) afford to drop because you will. Personally I favour 250 trail bikes as the most educational tool to start on with excursions onto soft surfaces to hone ‘dismounting’ skills.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2