Tiger 1050 Tyres

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by toad, Dec 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. toad

toad Active Member

So what is your tyre of choice?

My Tiger came with some Michelin stuff, don't know which ones. They were crap when cold, worse in the rain, only felt comfy after some 50 miles or so. Prolly me more than them.

A mate of mine told me about the Metzler M7 and wow! Grip from the start, sliding no probs, rain is a breeze, only problem is mileage. If I get 5K on them I've done well.

What about your experiences?

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Conti attack all round good tyre and good milage. got a good deal recently as attack 2 is out and some places are selling off stock even better the new one I just bought 4 weeks ago and havnt fitted yet fit my new bike

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I had Conti Trail Attacks on my KTM 1190 and too be honest I thought they were not bad in the dry, but in the wet they were just terrible. No confidence at all.

4. toad

toad Active Member

@jtd
    What kind of mileage?

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yes I hear this only I dont do to much in the rain these days so can only say I havnt found, on the few occasions I used then in the wet , that they where any worse than most

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    The rear squared off after 3500 miles, still had 4/5 mm of tread left.

7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Trouble with tyre questions is you ask 10 riders you will end up with at least 5 different answers and it gets more confusing. Obviously a lot depends on now you ride and whether you need dual purpose on your Tiger or just road.I have Pirelli Angel GTs on my Sprint and find them a good tyre overall. I was not so happy with Michelin yet so many swear by the PR3 and 4 , the Conti Attacks are very popular too. Again wear can vary so much between riders, I see some of the guys in here only get a couple of thousand from their tyres and are happy coz they get superb grip but they are the faster riders. Good luck with your choice.

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I use Metzelers Z8 dual compound - used 3 sets over 25,000 miles
    My riding is 3/4 motorway
    Last 8,500 to 9,000 miles on average for the rear, have to replace due to squaring off, plenty of grip left on the sides.
    Front lasts longer but for some reason has greater wear on the sides with the centre lasting longest!

Will be looking for new set in the Spring, maybe the Pirelli Angel tyres

9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I think you should stick with the Metzelers if you are getting that sort of mileage out of them, especially if your doing all that motorway riding.i have the Angel gt on mine and they are great, but i think they would square off quicker if doing lots of motorways.mines were in great nick before doing my German trip this year but after the 1000 miles on Autobahn they were fecked :(,that's the first time I've ever had to replace a tyre due to them squaring off (normally 99% of my miles are not on motorways)

10. toad

toad Active Member

Metzler M8??? Never heard of them. Must consult the world's most famous search engine...

11. toad

toad Active Member

Metzler Z8 I found. Seems to be a perfect all round tyre.

Being more the sporty rider and not doing a lot of motorway I prefer the glue that is called Metzler M7 (but I wrote that in the OP). I've managed a couple of double slides with them but they grip the road like I do my beer. I've never slid more than 4 inches before they found something to hold onto again. Also my front one lasts nearly twice as long as the back one which makes it reasonably economical...

12. toad

toad Active Member

Interesting test. A mate of mine has got Pirellis on his Monster but then again he is more of a coffee racer...

I only got the 2:1 ratio after getting used to break with the rear brake before I hit the front brake. Makes for a much more comfortable ride as well IMHO.

Mate of mine refuses to do it and still has the 1:1 ratio on his Speedy.

13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Looking to replace my Z8's soon, in the next 2,000 miles
    Metzler have a new range to replace the Z8. The Roadtec 01.
    More mileage, better handling and grip.
    But at almost £100 more for a pair than Z8 I think my money goes to the proven Z8.
    180/55-17 and 120/55-17
    Z8 £270
    01 £360
    I look forward to using them later when the prices have dropped...A lot

Anyone have a preferred place to buy tyres?