Tyres For 2010 Sprint St

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Hughsie, Aug 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    Currently on Bridgestones - any thoughts on alternatives?
    Advice or suggestions always welcome.

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had bridgestone on my 1050 ST. If you coming past mid Cheshire I have a tyre in my garage that came of by bike as I was going on a european trip and needed a new one. You (or anbody else) is welcome to it. PM me..

Wessa

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    Interesting SmilinJack - that's value alright...

4. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    You're a gentleman Wezza, and thanks, but I'm based in Dublin!
    I'd probably use more tyre than I'd save if I had to travel to Chesire!!

5. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    Has anyone used any Michelins on the ST?

Also, just to keep in mind, I regularly travel 2-up with my daughter, with luggage.

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Pirelli Angel GT. Brilliant tyre, best wet handling tyre and good mileage. I nearly got my knee down coming south into Ullapool in torrential rain. Great in the dry, less movement than the Michelin's.

7. kevin2410

kevin2410 New Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Essex
    Put new tyres on gt 1050 (2013) changed frombri
    Just put Metzlere Roastec 01s on 2013 gt. Best all round tyres on the market .

8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That wasn't recently was it Ron ???:p:p:p

9. kevin2410

kevin2410 New Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Essex
    July this year

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

No! Still in the Infirmary!!!! Couple of years back, when young and daft.
    Riding like a loon on a gixxer in the wet - fine, Pootling around on a cruiser - A&E!!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::joy:

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And it is not just the bike that gets less agile........

12. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    Interesting suggestions there lads - thanks for the input.

I came across a UK tyre review site - they put the Dunlop Roadsmart II's way ahead of the rest.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 12.17.49.png

13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    motorcycle news a few years ago actually said Avon's were suited to the sprints. But I really think it's what you use that makes you happiest. What you need to check is if your insurance will cover you for the tyres you run.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

14. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    Huh?? :worried:
    I've never heard of having to clear your choice of tyres with your insurance company mate!
    Is this a new development??

15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Your supposed to run only approved by manufacturer tyres, but that's bollox. If you fall off, they ain't going to come out and check what brand is fitted.
    Some manufacturers can actually approve different sizes, say a 55 profile, as opposed to a 50, but that only applies if your wanting to change tyre sizes.
    All tyres of the same size, will be approved for use on your bike.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Look nothing like each other!!!! How can they be the same, when tread is totally different?

17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I believe Metzler are owned by Pirelli, but don't think there is any crossover of products. Probably make use of joint R&D, but have totally separate products.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    Between these I reckon lads:
    Dunlop Roadsmart
    Michelin Pilot
    Pirelli Angel GT
    Bridgestone 023

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iron_Horse

Iron_Horse New Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    An oldish thread, but ... I'm on a Sprint GT and just retired my squared and balding Bridgestone BT021s for a new set of Michelin PR4 GTs for the winter. New Rubber always feels great, but this feels like a completely new Bike. Highly recommend them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    As Iron Horse says, old thread, but here's my two pence: I love the Pirelli Angel GT. Had them before on another bike, loved them. Stuck them on the Sprint, love them.

They are quite stiff tyres so you get a very firm ride, but the up-shot is better life span (Something to do with less tread block movement, ask Pirelli if you want the technical details :p) & really consistent grip as well as superb feedback (Probably the two most important things for my confidence on a bike).

Done somewhere near 10k (North of 8k for definite) on them so far, plenty of tread left. Ok a lot of that mileage has been commuting over the summer & longer journeys, but not suffering any squaring either. These things can supposedly do good mileage on a 'Busa, so probably laugh at the Sprint's efforts.

Downside, as well as the firm ride, they are really expensive tyres. I would suggest they are very good value for that money, but not cheap.

I've had good experiences with several tyres in Pirelli's range, been impressed with every single one so I will admit to being very favourable towards Pirelli on the whole.

I hear lots of good things about ALL of the Michelin Pilot Roads (who hasn't!). And the Pilot Road 2 can be had very cheaply these days (£100 less than a set of PR5's or Angel GT's!!). Had good experience with Avon on other bikes as well. Never had any on the Sprint so can't speak for the higher end of their range.

Ok, so that was probably 50p-worth, but there you go.

• Agree Agree x 2