Thruxton Tyre Pump Recommendation

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by BT81, Mar 26, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    HI
    So, it seems that the Thruxton R/S is the most sensitive bike I’ve ever owned when it comes to tyre pressures! Not sure why, the odd difference in PSI seems to make a huge difference.

I have never owned a m/bike with an actual inner tube - wasn’t expecting any difference.

Alas. So to save me a weekly/monthly check at the local petrol station, if there any recommendation of a simple manual foot pump. The last time I used the petrol station air, it took me ages to try and fit the adaptor on the valve, between all the spokes!

And to say thank you, here is a picture from todays ride around the Cotswolds ;-)

[​IMG]Untitled

[​IMG]Untitled

• Like Like x 4
  2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, I bought a dual cylinder Halfords foot pump that costs £13 which works fine on my Street Scrambler. Hopefully your bike isn’t blighted by Triumph’s practice of putting rubbish inner tubes in the front tyres of Street Scramblers which lose a couple of lbs a week. I’ve had 3 and same problem on them all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Get a Michelin double barrel one. I've had one for years and it's been both robust and reliable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    To get around the spokes try one of these, adds a little extra length.

7FCF428A-B12B-407A-B489-2393188953FB.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Forget foot pumps and buy a compact 12v pump. If need be fit a fag lighter socket on the bike somewhere hidden, under the seat maybe. I carry one in a bag on the back of the ZZR along with a tubeless repair kit but this obviously isn't an option on a bike with tubes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    My first Scrambler lost maybe a couple of pounds a month but I fitted a HD 4mm tube at the first tyre change which cured that. The new Scrambler doesn't seem to lose any.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    I use a cheap handpump, it really doesn't matter how you get the air in, it's how accurate your tyre pressure gauge is. I over inflate the tyres by 4-5lb using the handpump gauge, but I have a good quality tyre gauge that allows me to then bleed off the excess air to get an accurate setting. Garage pumps are next to useless to accurately set your pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    I've recently bought a rechargeable portable unit (the Lidl one, but lots of similar).
    Small enough to travel with a bike. Wall power charger + 12v car plug charger.
    Perfect to check and adjust pressure.
    Not made to inflate a flat tire.

I've compared the measure with my regular compressor unit. The portable inflator is accurate.

Capture d’écran 2022-03-28 101036.jpg

10. Duncan Sloan

Duncan Sloan Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Johannesburg
    So here's a cheap solution - an elbow connector GBP 2.25 -

IMG_6444.jpeg

11. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I blew the fuse on the bike’s 12v outlet as the digital power inflator I use for the car uses more amps than the fuse rating on the bike …hence the foot pump. I’ve had 3 Street Scramblers and the first 2 had new ‘non Triumph’ front inner tubes due to pressure loss… my current one is still losing 2 psi per week despite a new tube so I think they just put a replacement Triumph one in despite me requesting a proper one as before… bit of a pain as non of the rear tyres had the same problem. .. will speak to them again about it before it’s 1st year service.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Had some of those for my yamaha FZX and it's almost plain wheels.
    I didn't rely enough to let it permanently on the bike. But it's really helpful.
    On the SPRINT ST 1050 the valves are already elbowed.
    Don't really understand why makers do not put those from factory.
    First tire change, ask for 90° valves.

13. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Michelin make good heavy duty tubes designed for supermotos, worth the extra coin, I used them in my Guzzis

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. davethewelder

davethewelder New Member

Apr 22, 2022
    North Port, florida
    Have you ever considered removing the inner tubes and using a product like "Outtex"? You can buy this kit on Ebay. basically its a tape kit to seal the rim wear the spokes enter the rim. I never tried it but it looks cool.