Two Parts Questions

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by mgordonvegas8, Jan 10, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mgordonvegas8

mgordonvegas8 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    san antonio tx
    I recently acquired a 2000 955i daytona and am in process of a general restoration. So far that has involved sourcing OEM turn signals/indicators, exhaust, seat and gas tank cowl and all is proceeding well

2 questions about parts

1 - under the rear seat cowl there appears to be a small reservoir. Can anyone tell me what this is for? I am thinking either rear brake or possibly coolant overflow?

2 - there is a black plastic assembly that the rear tail lights go into (also the license plate attaches to). I can't find the part listed in any of the spare parts manual, can anyone tell me what its called and possibly a part number? Mine got a bit melted from an akrapovic exhaust and I want to see if I can source an OEM (if not then I will just try the old heat gun restoration method)

Thanks much!

Martin G

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    The only reservoir I have under the seat is the expansion tank for the engine cooling system.

The rear brake reservoir is on the right hand side just above the brake pedal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    #4 Geoff Butler, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Oh, I just remembered that Californian bikes have an overflow bottle somewhere and we didn't get this in the UK. I did the Triumph Factory tour back in 1998 and remember them explaining the subtle build differences across the world.

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    All bike's that are water cooled have an over flow tank , California vehicles have an evaporation cannister/tank if they are carbureted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Do you mean this @mgordonvegas8 ?

If so then yes, coolant expansion.

Taken from a 2002 Speed Triple (which will be similar?).

Screenshot_20220111_174938.jpg