Thruxton Twist Grip Codes P2125 & P2138

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Furrygreg, Aug 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    Went out for a quick ride on my 2017 Thruxton. I have a little over 8,000 miles on it. I pulled over because I wanted to take my wallet out of my back pocket and put it into the zippered pocket of my jacket. When I gave the throttle a twist to pull back onto the road, I immediately got a check engine light and traction control light on the speedo. The engine was running at about 2,800 RPM for limp home mode. I pulled into a parking lot to turn the bike off and try a restart. The two caution lights stayed on and the bike engine continued to run in limp home mode high RPM. I needed to clear the codes to reset the ECU. I remembered that under the seat, the battery negative cable has a quick disconnect plug that can be used to disconnect the battery from the ECU, thus allowing an emergency on-the-road reset. I disconnected the battery negative cable and let the bike sit for about 5 minutes. I reconnected the battery and switched the bike back on. The check engine light stayed on, but the throttle was once again working normally. I rode straight home and connected the bike to my laptop using my Dealertool program. I had the following codes: P2125 - Twist grip position sensor 2 short circuit to ground or open circuit, & P2138 - Twistgrip position sensor 1 & 2 correlation malfunction. When I went to check the twist grip sensor values at idle, my bike was showing Twistgrip #1 volts of 1.29 volts, Twistgrip #2 volts of 1.52 volts. TPS #1 volts of 0.65 volts & #2 TPS volts of 1.52 volts. It also shows that the twistgrip is adapted. I am thinking a bad connection somewhere. I replace the throttle grip switch last year as i thought it was causing an ongoing high idle issue. Changing the twist grip switch did not fix that issue. It turned out that a re-flash of the ECU did the trick. Anyone else out there but me have any issues similar to this? Anyone have any other thoughts than checking wiring connections? I am open to any valid ideas. Thanks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    Is there anyone out there with any experience with this issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Furrygreg
    Welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show of the steed to the inmates. Check all your battery leads and wires. Don't know if this will help but you could try the three 12 minutes run ups to clear the faults. But i am sure one of the mote intellectual inmates will be along soon. The other thing you might is get the tune ecu kit and set it up and clear the faults.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    Thanks Joe. I have gone over all connections from the twist grip to the ECU. All connections are solid and all wire harnesses wring out good when I use my Fluke multi-meter on them. I live in Iowa over here in the USA, so not a lot of late model Triumphs over here. The nearest dealership has not experienced this issue, so no helpful info there either. I will post here when and if this issue occurs again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    I just recently read in another forum that another rider that had the same issue was told by dealer that it was a bad twist grip switch ground. i will review my wiring diagrams to locate it and make sure its not a loose ground causing the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    So I went through all the entire wire harness assemblies and verified connections and routing. No issues were evident. I did the calibration task of starting bike from cold and letting it idle until the cooling fan came on, and then without touching the throttle, let it idle for another 15 minutes. Then I shut it off and let the bike cool down completely. I gave the bike a bath, and then started it up and proceeded to put about 120 miles on the bike. A mixture of city and country riding. No issues with the twist grip sensors and performed flawlessly, Hopefully the electronic gremlin has moved on to its next victim. I'll be sure to post here again if the gremlin comes back to haunt me. One thing I did learn is that there is not a whole lot of experience out there yet when it comes to the new Throttle by Wire systems out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Furrygreg
    Glad it seems to have cured itself. And yes i hate the ride by wire throttle. Why can't we just have a good old cable. You know i got Family on my Fathers side who lives somewhere in Iowa.
    Joe.

9. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa

10. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    Hi Joe. Iowa is a friendly state. We all seem to know each other one way or another. I have bikes with throttle cables, and now one with throttle by wire. They all have their good points and bad points. I like them all.

11. Mike5100

Mike5100 New Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Durham
    I've just had exactly this issue and as it happens I used exactly the same method to get home.
    About to start investigating. One thing that occurs to me is that the Ducati throttle slop spacers I fitted may be causing problems? (but that was about 3000 miles ago)
    Mike