Tune Ecu

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by bamalam, Jun 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bamalam

bamalam New Member

May 3, 2018
    devon
    I used Tune ECU today to flash an Arrow twin underseat tune to my bike . first time I used it .Watched a lot of videos ,and then plucked the courage up saved my present tune then downloaded the Arrow tune . worked a treat and easier than I thought it was going to be . A great relief when it started afterwards. what are other peoples experiences with Tune ECU ?

34215729_1845879682139188_1225992165465784320_n.jpg

33900375_1842615232465633_7240202967037509632_n.jpg

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    As above! Found it weird plugging a laptop into a bike but surprised how easy it all was.

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Used it many times on three of my bike's, two early Sprint's and my current ride 08/09 America. It is as you say very easy to use, was a bit harder on the sagem ECU's as they are a bit slower than the newer ECU's but still easy enough once you bite the bullet, and if you get your bike properly tuned up (dyno'd) you can gain many benefits, hp , torque or just much better throttle response all are great improvement !

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Great piece of kit, been using it for years. Even better now it's on Android with extra features via Bluetooth. I keep the bluetooth dongle on the bike (not plugged in) just in case I have a problem while out riding.... just plug in and connect the phone and you've got a good diagnostics tool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The first fuel injection models, circa 99/00 I had a 99 model in early 2000 and a 2000 model in 03/04. So yeah yours was last year before full electronic management .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I think I know the answer to this but I’d like confirmation from you Tunecu professionals before I take the plunge. My bike is a 2015 Speed Triple S and it has had the Hiltop remap (posted in). Chassis number ends 700216. I’m thinking of getting Tunecu simply to reset the service light and check for any faults and perhaps balance the throttle bodies bleed the abs etc. I’m NOT interested in changing fuel maps. I love the way it’s running and am not looking to fiddle about with it. From what I’ve read on the Tunecu site my bike looks compatible and the chassis number is within range, can’t remember the map number but it looked familiar ( twin arrows, cat and sai all enabled). So do I go wireless as I have an android phone or cable as I have a fairly new laptop with windows 10. What “dongle” or cable would be best for the tasks I have outlined. Cheers for your input.

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Yorkshireman, with regard to dongle/cable I would suggest cable and buy it from Triumph Twin Power :
    https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/ttp-obd-2-usb-cable.php.

Having this cable means you can use your new laptop and importantly you can save your current map to your computer, just in case you need to re-load it at any stage in the future.

Why would you need to reload it? If your bike ever goes into a Triumph dealer for work, irrespective of how many times you tell them not to, they will overwrite your bespoke Hilltop map with a std. Triumph one. Without a back-up copy your hard-earned dosh spent on a Hilltop map has just gone down the gurgler.

Always, always have a back-up copy of the bike's current state of tune, just in case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Not sure how it works, but Hilltop advised that the map they put in won't be overwritten by a Triumph download.

9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well what have you got to lose ? If you have a back-up and don't need it, all well and good. But if you need a back-up and don't have it - you're buggered !!

Over the years we've all been told stuff that turned out to be not entirely accurate (read bullshit) so why not have a second string to your bow, just in case?

Plus you've got all the diagnostic stuff with TuneECU.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Hi Yorkshireman, unfortunately I'm going to cause confusion and contradict Dave a bit here......
    If you want to reset the service indicator and cycle the ABS valves for bleeding then you MUST use a bluetooth dongle and the Android version of TuneECU because those features are NOT available via a wired connection to either pc or Android.
    I've used these features and they work fine on my 2015 94R Speed Triple, also used throttle balance both by bluetooth/android and cable/pc (and remapped via cable/pc).

TBL makes a valid point that may be a dealer could overwrite your Hilltop map, but I'm guessing your intention is to avoid the stealers in any case. However it's probably worth talking to Hilltop to check whether they have protected the map in any way (to prevent a dealer overwriting) and indeed whether it is copyable (for backup purposes) via TuneECU.

With regard to the Bluetooth dongle, a word of warning. Several forum members have had problems with dodgy clones that don't work, hopefully somebody will be along with advice on a trustworthy current supplier (mine works fine but is several years old and the ebay seller is no longer trading).

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Quite honestly I think wireless would be the way to go, although not sure if you can save the map on an android phone, someone here will let you know, i think also you can reset the service light with android but not with windows and also do something with your abs, gym works for me though! Of course for an extra few quid a cable will get your maps and read outs saved and also a larger screen for tweaking. By using tuneecu you can’t do anything to your map by accident as the tune and diagnostics have seperate windows, if I can use it any old dummy can

• Like Like x 2
  12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Def
    Definitely need a cable to save or upload maps, I think (but not sure) the cable/android combination allows map work but you also have a pc anyway.
    I suspect there's a bit of time lag when using bluetooth for throttle body syncing but as the engine takes a second or two to settle anyway it's not really an issue.
    BTW same warning applies when buying a cable, there are clones out there that don't work. If nobody comes along with recommendations I think the TuneECU website has links to their preferred providers. (again mine are about 8yrs old so can't advise)

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Triumph twin power have the right OBD2 USB cable, probably get it cheaper elsewhere but at least you know it’s right

14. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Thanks all for the replies. I had heard that the Hiltop map couldn’t even be seen by the dealer let alone changed and yes it is my intention to avoid dealers now it’s out of warranty. I’m well capable of doing my own servicing and have a local shop I trust for the valve clearance cos I can’t be arsed to bugger about with cams in and out like I was a few years ago. I’ll prolly go for the Android way to do the things I want and see how I get on. A cable isn’t an earth shattering amount of cash if I need it, but the things I want to do seem to be available by android. Thanks again guys, as always good advice. Cheers.
    Not expecting a comprehensive “how to” just now but what’s involved with the throttle balance. I’ve done this previously with vac gauges and manually turning the screws on the injectors on other bikes setting them to the one with the throttle cable, I.e. usually number 1 cylinder, but a quick précis would be appreciated.

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If it’s anything like my 900
    There will be a screw between the “carbs” probably with a bit of yellow paint on, you just need a screwdriver with a right angle bend at the end, or a small socket set with a cross head screwdriver fitment. The vacuum readings show in tune ecu Best thing is to google it and have a visual reference

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Thanks, so the vac readings show in Tunecu rather than on vac gauges and it still requires some screw turning, good advice, I’ll google and see what comes up.

17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    The biggest ball ache is that the adjusting screws are buried beneath the airbox and on the SpeedTriple (& SprintST1050 I used to have) there's no way your going to access them without removing tank and airbox. That's not a big problem but then you've got to reconnect fuel line and pump to run up the engine. There's an extension lead available from Triumph for the pump lead and its possible to rig up a fuel line extension with a couple of connectors (male & female). Everything else is a peace of p1ss, there seems to be no requirement to use any cylinder as a base setting provided they all match up.

18. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Being a sad bugger I keep all my emails...
    You want one of these for the electrical connection.
    For the fuel line you need a pair of 7.89mm quick connectors, however it seems that Triumph have made the stub on the tank slightly longer than standard so I never found a perfect match that latches on. So I secure the connector I have with cable-ties, not ideal but seems to do the job.
    I guess at a push you might be able to refit the tank in its hinged up position with the airbox removed, connect up fuel and electrics and may be still get to the adjusters?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this is what's happening, but hilltop may have found how to write the tune's into the chip base where it is write protected ! Every Triumph regardless of model , if it has an ECU there is a basic factory standard tune installed, it's write protected ! If a supplement tune is installed, it is in a different part of the Chip set , your ecu can make day to day Learned change's to this area ! But can not affect/change the base tune ! This base tune can be reverted to if there is a major ECU issue is power dropped out and then surges back up above recommended upper limits ! This can happen during starting for instance if battery is close to a failing state (too old ??) The ECU will try to recover and it's full fall back position is the factory supplied base code !(map) using tune ECU I had to tell my dealership not to read the ECU with their equipment as this would rewrite and over haul my mapping back to std as tune ECU doesn't go deep enough in to the Chip set !
    Anyone who's tried to update their Android devices with an unauthorized version of new operating system will know what I'm speaking of ! I'm currently trying to crack my Android Media player ! As it won't run Stan but runs Netflix fine ! It's be cause Android 4.4.4 doesn't support code required for Stan to play back video ! So I'm using cracking tools to get into the base code area of the factory chip. I'm trying to update to Oreo Android 8 !
    Whish me luck I'm on my third or is it fourth attempt ! And the really annoying bit is I have download Oreo again if installation fails !! And it's a 1.1 gig download that takes hours as the source can only upload @ 90 to 156 kilobytes , so it takes 4 hours on average !!!

Cheers capt

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    That's as about an English wat you can get l I don't understand Too much of it myself, but there are some very intelligent monkeys out there who supply/make tools which we less intelligent monkeys can copy/use to get where/what we wanted ! Tune ECU being one of them ! My A stone A208 media player isn't doing what I want it TOO ! Much like our bike's !!! It's supposed to do various things all within it's remit , but fall's a bit short of expectations !! I don't see why I should buy a new one (it's 3yrs old) TV's last 7 to 10 yrs so why doesn't my player work for that much time ?? Android Operating System is locked ! At least Windows comes with regular updates to "fix" issues such as new media player (Stan) not working !!!

• Informative Informative x 1