Tubed Or Tubeless?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Flybywyre, Dec 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    #1 Flybywyre, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Wheels.JPG Hi have no doubt this may come over as a dumb question to some, but here goes.
    In August I bought a 2017 T120 which I intend to do some serious touring on next year, starting in less than two months time.
    Punctures worry me and having done some research about repair kits etc I assumed that my bike had inner tubes because it has spoked wheels.
    When I was cleaning it yesterday noticed that the Pirrelli Phantom tyres were marked as "tubeless". This flies in the face of most of what I have read about T120 tyres and wheels.
    Is there a way of checking to see if there is an inner tube without letting the tyres down and having a poke around?[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I dont know about on your bike but something to be aware of is ....

Some off road trials bikes have tubeless rear wheels with a conventional spoked rim.
    DO NOT DISTURB THE RIM TAPE!

If you do they are an absolute pain and certainly not something I'd like to tackle at the side of the road. The tape edges sit in a step and this has to be perfect both all the way around and on both edges. Naturally the tape is slightly too wide in order to create a seal.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Do you think someone may have fitted tubes into a tubeless tyre?

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The tyres on my thruxton are marked tubeless but I know mine are tubed, it’s a 2011 spoked wheel, I always thought spoked was tubed but maybe on new fangled motosickles they’ve changed things

5. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Are tubed easier to deal with if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere in foreign lands?

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well there’s an arguement here, tubeless repair kits are easy to use, don’t need removing wheels etc but a hole in some areas can’t be repaired whereas a tubed tyre although needs to have the wheel removed if you have a spare tube can mean any puncture can be repaired, you can also patch the tube, it does mean you have to carry the necessary tools too

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Presumably I can buy a puncture repair kit for tubed tyres that can inflate the tyre/tube with "stuff" that will last long enough to get me somewhere to get it repaired? I have a very long ride in July, a lot of it in remote area's oversea's and I am going to change the tyres before I go. It would seem I have no choice but to replace the old ones with same tubed tyres unless I want to spend money on getting the wheels adapted for tubeless, which I don't really want to do. I have a few rides to do before then but in not such remote area's.

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    yurp! But I’m assuming temporary repair to get you to a place where proper repairs or replacement can be done, ie a plug isn’t recommended on a shoulder or wall of a tyre whereas with a new tube it wouldn’t matter. Plus if there’s an actual rip in the wall, say, you’re buggered with a tubeless but not necessarily with a tube. You don’t need to create a perfect seal between tyre and rim either. Between the two of us I think we’ve helped confuse flyby even more

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You can get small compressors that fit in small places, the tubeless repair kits have small canisters that inflate the tyre, but not sure how good they are

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    My car is now looking a far more favorable mode of transport

11. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Good point DD but this trip requires a little more planning than others as there are not many Triumph spares available in the Artic Circle

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Tubeless tyre means it can run without a tube on an appropriate wheel where the bead will create an air-tight seal, as on e.g. Street Twin alloy rims. The bead will not seal on chrome rims asfaik so though a tubeless tyre will fit, it will still need a tube to keep the air in. There are gloop type stuff puncture repair kits you can carry to get-you-home safe in the event of a puncture. There's also stuff you can fill your tube with beforehand which will create a seal in the event of a puncture, but some folk reckon these adversely affect the rolling characteristics of the tyre, especially the front, or so I've been told by a chap who sells the stuff.

btw, I haven't read the rest of this thread so may be repeating old news.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #13 Eldon, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Not entirely sure I agree here.
    Tubeless tyres have diagonal ribs inside whereas tubed tyres are relatively smooth.
    I was once told that these ribs can rub tubes thin and create punctures, not sure how true this is though hence my opening line.

Spoke holes:
    My Beta trials bike has a T shape rear rim and the spokes end at the rib i.e no holes drilled into inner tube area.
    Montesa 315's from 1999 had similar and I can't understand why everyone didn't adopt the idea as it's far better.

14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Also Flybywyre you could do with seeing the rim profile. A tubeless rim has a step on the inner edge of the tyre lip to aid sealing.
    A tube type rim doesn't have this additional step as it isn't required.
    If the tyre HAD to come off at the side of the road AND it does have this lip then you really will struggle without the right tools.

If the areas to be visited are truly remote then I would spend time at home getting to know your bike.
    Here is my 500 mile old 765 undergoing scrutiny lol

20181128_234826.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    I have booked myself on a two day motorcycle maintenance course in March but a puncture will require assistance as I cannot carry the necessary tools.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Exactly that DD.
    Like I said, I don't know whether what I heard is correct in practice or not just providing info to give Flybywyre a fuller picture.

• Like Like x 2
  17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Wash your mouth out with soap immediately

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Flybywyre you can carry the right tools. In the good old days, read me when younger, enduro riders and greenlaners used to do it all the time.

I once did a big jump in Dalby forest snapping a rear spoke and puncturing the tube during an enduro. It cost me 13 minutes to repair (replace tube, had one in bum bag) by the time I got to next time check.

A few important points here,
    1/ I had a spare tube with me ( others could fit it for you but can't if you havent).
    2/ I knew the bike and what needed to be done (refer to my previous post, get it in bits at home. Don't learn last minute).
    3/ I had the minimum but right tools with me (avoid carrying excess but have the right versatile minimum for common tasks. Do a trial with what you propose to carry).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    I won't be doing that, a puncture will be a break down call out.

20. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    No room on the T120 to carry tools except the very basics. Carrying a spare tube is a good idea and one I will do, thanks.