Tt600 Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Captain Klang, Sep 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Captain Klang

Captain Klang Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    Right, I think ive got an issue with the charging on the TT.

Ive done a few of the tests to check the Reg/Rec and the results are ok, with the readings very close on the diode test and its not leaking voltage to earth.

Stator results similarly steady with the AC voltage test looking good and the resistance test all three pins reading 0.4 ohms.

Battery steady at 12.5 with all off, little drop (less than 1v) with lights on and engine off but when i start the engine it barely goes over 13.5 volts and drops off to about 12.8 as i run the revs up.

Now when i pulled the plugs apart to test the reg/rec and the stator, i noticed something that looked a bit odd. The contacts were coated in some sort of grease. The plug from the reg/rec has 5 wires 3 from the stator (black) a red live and a black earth. There was also a second plug one with three yellow that seemed to have no pins and a live and earth going into another end with 5 wires. Is this normal? Maybe a pic would help!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Captain Klang

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    32E245E7-90CC-42EA-BAA3-F23377296E2B.jpeg D2CE4CD9-9C44-4A70-902E-158118ABA485.jpeg C6063E1B-08AB-4990-ADD6-AAB97D6A115A.jpeg

3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The grease is just to keep corrosion of the contacts at bay, it’s called dielectric grease. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Captain Klang

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    There you go, ive learned something new today!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Captain Klang

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    Do the plugs look right? Its just baffling me that one has 5 wires and the one it goes into only 2. I have heard of a mod that takes the pos and neg from the reg/rec directly to the battery with a 30amp in line fuse but i dont think this has been done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Captain Klang

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    He guys coming back to this, Ive still got an issue with the bike not charging properly.

Test results from the stator plug
    A-B 0.8 ohm, B-C 0.8 ohm, C-A 0.8 ohm.
    From all 3 plugs to ground all out of limit and all 3 Ac voltage outputs steady at 40v rising as the revs go up. All tests look to be spot on.

Reg Rec tested and on Neg Diode I’ve got 611/610/608 then null/Null/null
    Positive diode readings are almost identical so that looks ok.

New battery on the bike yesterday voltage at the battery when everything off, 13.48v

when the engine is running at tickover, I’m getting 13.2v dropping to 12.8v as it’s revved.

I should be getting 14.5v.

On the plug coming into the Reg I have 5 wires with two coming Out to a separate Plug (output?) now the plug that that connects into also has 3 yellow wires that terminate to nothing.

What are these yellow wires for and why do they seem to terminate at the output side of the reg/rec?

Ive got a new reg/rec coming to try that but I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.