Troublesome Speedy

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Speedy1, Jul 10, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Speedy1

Speedy1 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I have a problem with my 2006 Speedy. It would seem that it's suffering from the old ECU problem of only firing on the left hand cylinder. It dosen't happen all the time and sometimes goes for weeks without a hitch. It can happen whether starting from cold, running all day, hot days, cold days basically anytime. The coils, leads, caps and plugs have all been tested by an independent dealer who can find nothing wrong. When this problem begins, it gives off a smell of petrol which makes me wonder if it's the ECU or if it's down to the fuelling. It has recently beginning to stutter a little whilst closing down the throttle which feels like the lack of fuel or carbs out of sink, although it ticks over with no problem. Triumph dealers just give me " it's the ECU mate, it's a common problem with those" but Triumph themselves deny this when I call them to ask for some advice.

Is there any hope out there before I spend a mortgage to get a new ECU

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Have you checked the carbs then? Are they balanced?

3. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot but I don't suppose you might know anyone with the same bike and kindly ask if you can try their ecu to see if it is that which is causing a problem?

4. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    My opinion would be that there isn't anything wrong with the fuelling, it will smell of petrol if its getting a fuel charge and not firing as you have unburned fuel coming out of the exhaust so the petrol smell is a symptom and not a cause. Its not firing as you have identified (are you sure about this? is the right hand pipe cooler than the left when this has been happening?) If so its deffo something in the ignition system. If you have time, take it all off and check yourself for loose earth and spray all connections with switch cleaner.
    Check the entire system from the plug electrode back to source.

Al

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Far be it from me to generally comment on things technical but I'm not sure that Speedy earthing himself will have much of an effect on his bike's performance? I could be wrong (but it's never happened before...) :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    I see what you did there Bry, very crisp, very crisp indeed. You are certainly worthy of a runner up position to my comic genius.

Al

• Like Like x 3
  7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    So modest

8. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    I thank you:smile: