Trophy Trophy Satnav. Anyone fitted a Zumo 550?

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by RayW, May 27, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RayW

RayW New Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Barnsley
    I have a Trophy SE which already had a TomTom Rider v5 fitted when I got it.
    I have now been round the UK with the TomTom and I cant live with it any longer. It may be me, I know there are people who like TTs, but I like the Garmin much better.
    Triumph recommend fitting the 660, and obviously its sleeker and newer, but I have a 550, which was on my previous BMW and I like it.
    It looks to me that if I try to fit it in the centre of the dash, as a direct replacement for the TT it will obscure the top of the LCD screen, I am considering doing what I did on the BMW and mounting it on the clutch fluid reservoir, using a RAM mount designed for this type of fitting.
    Has anyone used a zumo 550 with the Trophy? there is an audio out on the mounting bracket, which I assume can plug into the bikes audio in just the same way as the 660 does?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I would guess that after more than 50hrs from the time you posted the above, Ray, that the answer to your query has to be 'no'! I have only done satnavs in my wagon, which made I larf uncontrollably! :D:D The latest ones that they have at the moment are, reputably, better, though without an operation on me ticker I may never find out for myself!:(
    I do however have a small 'Yorkshireman's Tweezer', aka a 5lb lump hammer (for intricate and delicate work only), which you can borrow if you feel that would be helpful! :eek::oops:

3. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Ray, I've just fitted a 390lm to my speed triple so have read your thread with interest and will offer this advice to try an help.
    i have looked up your unit and it has a 3.5mm audio out jack similar to that on any MP3 player/iphone etc etc. once you mount your 550 by the ram mount (this will give you some flexibility on location with the moveable ball socket arm-i have this on mine and you can even by a longer or shorter arm to suit your needs) just use 3.5mm lead (maplins/amazon) to connect between the 550 and the trophy audio in socket. You may need to tell the 550 to send the audio out via the jack but you can double check this in the users manual.
    finally if you prefer you can bluetooth the 550 to a bluetooth headset and run the satnav/xm radio/mp3/phone via this connection as well.

good luck!

4. RayW

RayW New Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Barnsley
    Do you know where I can find an easy guide to accessing the audio connection on the bike? the stuff I have read suggest that its somewhere behind the fairing on the LHS, but how do I find it? Do I need to take the fairing off?

5. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Ray,

i googled and got this so check it out: www.audio2u.com/download/TTSE-audio-handbook.pdf

From this guide i have copied this section but there is more so suggest you download it. Simply put you can connect your satnav as i described earlier-you just need to locate the 3.5mm jack plug/

Satellite Navigation Systems

The audio system provides support for Garmin Zumo® Satellite Navigation Systems models 660 and 665.

Other satellite navigation systems may be compatible.

Audio input from the navigation system is via a 3.5mm audio jack located inside the cockpit, adjacent to the headlight.

The navigation system must be connected to the audio system power supply to prevent interference. The power supply is located next to the 3.5 mm jack inside the cockpit. A suitable lead is available from your authorised Triumph dealer.

Also check under the pillion seat as apparently that where the manual is located from new.

Happy hunting!