trophey 1995 1200 chain tension

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by gary w, Sep 16, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gary w

gary w Member

Sep 7, 2013
    hello my mot is all done BUT my chain needs to be tensioned it don't look easy is it something I can do myself or should I take it to a garage cant find it on youtube thanks guys

2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #2 P19DJG, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    If i remember rightly & i havent done one of these for fucking ages but they are a piece of piss to adjust.

Im pretty sure they have an eccentric chain adjuster on those bikes. Undo adjuster clamp bolt (6 or 7mm allen key at end of swingarm) then remove locking clip in eccentric adjuster & loosen bolt, i think its a 12mm allen key for turning the adjuster (one way tightens the other way loosens) but you could use a hammer & punch/screwdriver instead. Turn/knock the adjuster round to the required tension ( 1.5" up/down play in the centre of its length between sprockets. Around the edge of the eccentric adjuster there should be markings, make sure your adjustment is identical on both sides to keep the rear wheel running true.
    Then tighten everything up again & Bobs your Uncle...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    It is very simple and should be something a home mechanic can do easily... As above really. Basically it's loosen off and then adjust... Only issue is having the right size socket/spanner...

• Like Like x 1
  4. gary w

gary w Member

Sep 7, 2013
    thanks lads might leave it to a mechanic

5. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Really? Its proper easy to do even for a spanner monkey :wink:

6. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    You wil have little to loose by having a go yourself, just remember that once tensioned as described above check the up down free play in the centre of the chain in several places by spinning the wheel and set it where the chain is tightest.

7. gary w

gary w Member

Sep 7, 2013
    I'm having a go on Saturday thanks lads

• Like Like x 1
  8. gary w

gary w Member

Sep 7, 2013
    #8 gary w, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    thanks Richard and p19 for your help your right it was very easy all done .

• Like Like x 2
  9. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Cylinder head gasket next?

• Like Like x 2
  10. gary w

gary w Member

Sep 7, 2013
    no thanks chain ok but its still stopping on a run crank sensor don still the same gutted