Triumph's 'long Haul Screen'

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Strimmer, Oct 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    Has anybody bought and fitted this screen?, is it worth the money?, currently listed at £265!, is this another example of Triumph's ott accessory pricing?

Or have you fitted another make of 'larger than just a flyscreen' screen?, is that worth the money?

I am looking for comfort and weather protection first, style would be an added benefit.

Best regards,

Strimmer

2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Was tempted when I spec'd my T100 but went with the touring screen instead.

3. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    Hi Sir Trev,

Thank you for the feedback.

The dimensions of the touring screen is half the height and half the width of the long haul screen, and significantly the price is less than one third, £72 v's £265, of the long haul screen.

Most importantly to me, is it's performance, in terms of wind protection, head buffeting, even hand protection from the wind. How does it fair?, does it perform above its size and price v's the long haul screen?

Best regards,

Strimmer

4. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Long haul screen currently £101.26 at World of Triumph according to their website.

5. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    It's just a big flyscreen so hand protection is nill. I find it keeps a fair bit of wind pressure off the chest and at 5-10 I don't notice any buffeting so it works fine for me.

6. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
  7. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    Guys,

Thank you all for the feedback.

Sir Trev, I'm the same height as you, maybe the Touring will be enough.

Curly, checked that out, it is for the air cooled Bonneville, I should have said mine is the water cooled model, they lost the long haul for the water cooled model at £265.

Mr. Toad, checked it out and again for the air cooled model.

Best regards,

Strimmer

• Like Like x 2
  8. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, I put a Triumph long haul screen on my 14 plate Bonneville. Total waste of money as it created buffeting at anything over 45mph and made riding most uncomfortable. I did one long trip and then took it off. The trouble with the screen is it's too low but large enough to create a large amount of wind disturbance right at helmet height so your head is constantly buffeted about. I'm just under 6ft tall if that's of help as for shorter riders it may work OK ... but it's a costly gamble. I've put a Dart flyscreen on which works well and is comfortable up to about 65mph with absolutely no buffeting. For info I've also got a Tiger 800 to which I've fitted a Madstad system screen as neither the standard nor adjustable Triumph screens were any good as also caused buffeting. Madstads are excellent as they are fully adjustable for height and angle so you can get them set up perfectly. They perhaps don't look as neat as normal screens but certainly work and possibly can get for a Bonneville...P.S. my profile pic is not of a Bonnie with the long haul screen, it was my 1982 Tiger 750 with a massive barn door of a screen that I remember did work well...albeit over 30 years ago when the sun shone all summer, every summer .. cheers and hope useful

• Like Like x 1
  9. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    Hi cliverdee,

I am also old enough to a remember those 'perfect' summers!

Thank you for that very honest feedback about the long haul screen's poor performance. You have confirmed what I guessed its performance would be and saved me a pile of cash.

As for your Tiger 800 screen experiences, I fitted a Givi tall screen on my Tiger 800XC, very reasonably priced, fabulous performance (for me, 5' - 11'), in addition, it also looked very handsome and 'like it grew there' on the bike.

Best regards,

Strimmer

10. KC1961

KC1961 Member

Nov 13, 2014
    West Lothian
    I've got the long haul q/d screen on my 2014 T100. I'm 5'9 1/2". On faster / longer / motorway runs it is much better than no screen but the wind noise is pretty severe. I agree with Cliverdee about Madstad screens, I also bought one for my Tiger800, by far the best screen that I've ever used.

11. Serle

Serle New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.Wales
    Sorry, I don't get it - why buy a (naked) Bonneville and then look to put a big f-ugly screen on it?
    They look absolutely minging - I haven't yet seen one that compliments the looks of that beautifully pretty bike.
    Surely, if you want a bike that protects you from the wind and weather buy one that is designed to look like a half-formed-transformer rather than spoiling a classic looking piece of engineering.

12. Serle

Serle New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.Wales
    Sorry, I don't get it - why buy a (naked) Bonneville and then look to put a big f-ugly screen on it?
    They look absolutely minging - I haven't yet seen one that compliments the looks of that beautifully pretty bike.
    Surely, if you want a bike that protects you from the wind and weather buy one that is designed to look like a half-formed-transformer rather than spoiling a classic looking piece of engineering.
    Man-up, wear some ear plugs, and enjoy the breeze.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    #13 Strimmer, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Hi Serle,

Firstly, the current water cooled Bonneville T120 looks handsome, not pretty. Pretty is an adjective I reserve for discribing beautiful young women, in no way does the current T120 look effeminate IMHO.

Secondly, the Bonneville is a piece of current engineering that's been made to look classic to get old gits like me to spend our pension money on reliving our mis-spent yoofs.

Finally, when you get old enough, you will appreciate anything that keeps you comfortable, warm and dry which enables you to still enjoy the things you used to do as a kid when you didn't give a fcuk about getting cold, wet and uncomfortable, that's probably a significant reason my arthritis is so bad.

So, if I want to put a screen on my bike whats it got to do with you? you don't like it?, tough sh1t. When you are paying for it, you get to decide. When you have something constructive to add, based on experience not just opinion, I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Strimmer

• Like Like x 5
  14. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I agree with Strimmer. I just moved from a TIgerXCX to a Bonneville, had a Madstad screen on my Tiger and will put one on my Bonneville tomorrow. I enjoy long distance rides/trips, and the screen made a world of difference. I was much more relaxed at the end of the day and most of the time could leave the face shield on my helmet up, letting in lots of fresh air without getting blasted. In the end it depends on the type of riding you do and your personal likes/dislikes, and tolerance that others may not enjoy with what you enjoy. It would be incredibly boring if we all enjoyed the exact same things!

PS - had the same disagreements on the Tiger discussion boards :)

15. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I have a foot in both camps here.

I love the naked look of my Bonneville and living near the Peak District it's a fantastic bike for a ride through those beautiful country back roads where you don't want or need to go much over 50mph.

For that no screen is required.

On the other hand I went London on it a couple of weeks ago, 145 miles each way and what I'd like to do is cruise at 70-80mph on the M1 or A1. While the bike is more than capable of doing this with ease it's bloody uncomfortable for the rider after a very short time. You can get some relief by lying on the tank like a 16yo on a moped but it's not a good riding position.

For those times when you just want to get there and want to maintain a speed above 60-65mph a screen is the thing to have.

I have to admit that I keep looking at the Triumph quick release screen easy to pop it on or off as desired.

16. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I don't know if you can get the Madstad in the UK, but it's an awesome screen. Can adjust both the angle and height so you can tune out most (if not all) buffeting. It also comes off with only four quick thumb screws. I put over 50,000 miles on my Tiger's using one and it was by far the best mod I made. It's that distance at high speed stuff, like Mr. Todd mentions, that it pays for itself. It also make the ride for the rider much quieter and I easily listened to music with my helmet face shield up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Yes we can Madstad screens in the UK.

18. Serle

Serle New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.Wales
    Hello Strimmer.
    Adjectives aside, I was simply expressing an opinion.
    You're right, it has nothing to do with me. However, if you take such umbrage to posted questions then I would be careful what questions you ask.

Oh, and by the way, just for reference, I am old enough to be spending pension money on pretty, "classic 'looking'" things.
    Furthermore, I have also spent several hours at a time on motorways on my T120 and wind is surely part of riding this style of bike. Its not uncomfortable, IMHO (based on experience not just opinion).

So, I repeat my initial opinion, if you want a bike for wind-free motorway travels buy a bike designed with a screen - it will save the designers initial thoughts for the styling of a motorcycle.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and good luck with whatever the resulting appearance may be.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MarkT120

MarkT120 New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Weymouth, UK
    Hi folks, it’s my first post!
    Just to add my 2p: I have had bad experiences (and very expensive ones) trying various screens on my last bike and found buffeting a big issue with any larger-than-fly screen.
    Like Mr Toad I found 70mph for any length of time tiring so bought the Dart flyscreen. It’s perfect! Not too big so the bike still looks handsome, keeps the worst of the wind off my chest and neck while still feeling like I’m riding a naked and best of all zero buffeting
    Oh, and apologies to half ton because I also got the king & queen seat - now called the “Royal” seat by Triumph. It’s like a sofa and means my T120 Black IS now black, not black and brown. 350 miles on Thursday and could have happily done 350 more.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham