Featured Triumph Wins At Harley Event

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by OsteKuste, Sep 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I had a pretty unusual evening this week. At the last minute I heard about what was supposed to be a local cruise-in kind of bike event in my town. It was on Wednesday evening and as I only then had heard about it I thought I’d at least ride over for a bit and check it out. When I arrived a bit early there were maybe 20 to 30 Harley’s parked about, so I pulled into a spot.
    For a little history, my town is Jonesborough, in eastern Tennessee. It is the oldest town in the state, first incorporated in 1779. Not too old compared to where most of you all live, I know. It has a lot of the older buildings left intact and still looks like a town from the 1800s.
    Back to the bikes. The longer I stayed, the more bikes kept rolling in, all Harley’s. By the time the evening was in full swing there were around 300 bikes, all Harley’s. My poor Triumph felt a bit out of place! As I walked around I discovered that this was what is called a National H.O.G. Rally, a touring show that visits several towns selected every year. It is covered by enthusiasts magazines and is evidently a big deal in the Harley world. And here I am on the only non-Harley bike in my Triumph T-shirt and leather Ace jacket.
    I will say this about the Harley crowd I met. I know we all like to take the piss out of anyone, but I was welcomed in without question. It didn’t matter if it was someone who looked like a lawyer having a midlife crisis or a hardcore biker that had ridden for decades, they all were glad I stopped by. I had plenty of interest in my Street Cup and everyone liked it. Many were not that familiar with Triumphs and were pretty impressed. The ones that got to me though were several older gents, probably 70 to 80 years young. You could see it in their eyes as they were talking about my bike, all with a similar story. Something like “When I was overseas for the war (WWll, Korea) I had my first bike, a Triumph Bonnie, never forget that bike.” It was great to hear those stories from their younger days, and you could tell how fond of those bikes these guys were.
    Well, I’d had enough fun, so I geared up and started to head out when someone came running up and said “you’re not leaving are you?” Yes, since it was getting late and I had to get to work early in the morning. They replied that I couldn’t leave as they were about to announce the winners of the bike show I didn’t know was occurring. I also didn’t know I had inadvertently parked where all the bikes entering the show were supposed to be. They proceeded to say I couldn’t leave because they wanted all the event winners to get their trophies and a group pic for the event! I am now thoroughly confused, it turns out they have a class at these events that is for metric bikes. Basically anyone who shows up with a non American bike can be in this class, and I had won it without meaning to! So here I am in my Triumph gear, a trophy from a Harley event, taking a group pic with a bunch of hard core Harley enthusiasts who had won their classes, and I had the greatest time!
    I have just a few pics, as it was getting dark by the end of all this. It just goes to show that for the most part as much as we like to give each other some grief, it’s all in good fun. This was the nicest bunch of people I’ve met in a long time, and shows we are all disciples of two wheels, (even if you ride a trike)!

• Like Like x 17
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    A few pics of the evening
    64738F15-3F0C-407C-BB85-1B40924E545E.jpeg
    D2D3A879-468F-40C9-AB14-10AA5C752D6B.jpeg
    C4557E91-64F5-4C5F-9850-F7441CD57FC6.jpeg

The one bike I got a shot of. It has multiple parts from classic Cadillac cars on it. Can you spot any?
    0FEF78D2-B287-46DF-A90F-8D266DFFCCC6.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  3. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    That’s my lone little Triumph sitting back a couple rows o_O

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    What a great result; great pictures, a great story and a beautiful town.

I've toured a lot in the US and have encountered a number of HD riders that were just as friendly as any other biker, especially to the proverbial "Englishman abroad" - especially when I've had a problem.

I was brought up (in the sixties) to believe that motorcycling is a non-exclusive club - treat every other member as you would like to be treated and will be well. Like any club, some members are better and some are worse than others.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the great photos and even better story about your experience, OsteKuste! Since I have both a Triumph and Harleys, I've been on both sides of the "fence". It's always interesting to ride my Triumph to Harley events--which usually have representatives from many different companies--and nearly everyone is very complimentary and positive about my Triumph. That was particularly true when I had Thruxtons. And, like you, I've heard a lot of stories that start with, "Back in the 60's / 70's I had a Triumph....." And when I've ridden one of my Harleys to an event that is more Triumph-oriented I have the same general sort of experience.

Congrats on your Cup trophy / win at an event---that you didn't even know was an event. :joy::joy: Awesome!

I particularly liked Adie P.'s post: "I was brought up (in the sixties) to believe that motorcycling is a non-exclusive club - treat every other member as you would like to be treated and will be well. Like any club, some members are better and some are worse than others." There's enough divisiveness these days without those of us in the motorcycle community fomenting even more. My two cents.......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ostekuste.
    Great result and a big one for Triumph and Triumph riders. But we must never forget that Triumph & America have always been popular together. Well back in the day and now Triumph are winning back our Brothers across the pond. But really happy for you. Love your picture of the little Bonnie sitting there between all those monsters.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Trying is the first step, Ron. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1