Triumph. What changes should they be developing?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SteveJ, Oct 24, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I been wanting to write this post for quite a while as with regards to some the current and new models that Triumph have announced for this year.

I think Triumph really need to take a look at their current range and need to look at some serious updates on quite a few models and possibly add another model to the range as follows:

Speed Triple 1050. This engine although it has been fantastic needs to be updated and upsized as power wise it is really getting left behind, I know that pure bhp isn't everything I think if you start trying to squeeze more horses out of it then you may find that it looses the thing that makes it such a great engine and that is how linear and tractible it is. Best suggestion is an all new engine, say 1150 cc with 20 more bhp, and as always keeping away from these silly swicthable engine maps and traction control rubbish (but a gear idicator is always handy)

Bonneville: Stay pretty much the same but possibly improve the fuelling and a few other minor gripes that I have heard about the bike. But I still think there is space for a bigger 3 cylinder retro bike with a larger displacement. Have possibly 2 different models which I will name the Trident and the Trident Sport (think Thunderbird Sport and Thunderbird) Retro styling, twin shock and with a few extras on the sport (Cafe racer look for the sport and trick shocks) and I'd say they would sell like hot cakes on a cold day :biggrin:

Smaller capacity Triumph. The 250 Daytona and Speed bikes that were in development look like they have been suspended until further notice.
    I know that Triumph are starting to break into the Indian / South East Asian market as we already have had a couple of members from those areas on our forum. If Triumph wish to expand and grow in these markets then you really need a smaller capacity bike that can be introduced into that market that can expand the brand name and visibility in those areas. there needs to be a bike like this in Triumph's range even if it is only sold in those areas.

I'm sure I can think of some others later but I just about at the end of a late shift at work at the moment so I will most probally add some more at another time.

The one real concern that I have is that Hinckley Triumph's have come and grown so far since 1991/92 I am just worried that they will fall into the same trap that Meridan Triumph and for that fact the rest of the British bike makers in the 70's.

Cheers

Steve

2. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Its not just Triumph!

I wanted a retro style bike, lightweight and reasonably powerful, ended up with my Bonnie which I love but it is not powerful enough, its seat is just a little low for me and its heavy. There is no alternative out there, what there is look terrible compared to the Bonnie.

No, what I really wanted was an updated ST with a lower seat, bars three inch further back, 20bhp more on the engine and 20kg less weight, oh yes and decent lights.

I waited for the Trophy to come out and wow what a looker, but if only it was lower and weighed 50kg less, I have to say that I would prefer an RT just because it is smaller, did I really say that, an RT. No matter how good the Trophy is it is just to heavy for me to handle in my slightly sloping drive where I have to turn 90 degrees to get in, thats no issue its getting the bike out that is the issue.

3. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    A 1000cc twin would be a good start in an uprated America and Speedmaster. Interestingly one dealer I spoke to is expecting a 1000cc engine in the not too distant future. I have no idea where he got his info from but he was "quietly confident" :wink:

Although I never particularly liked my Tiger 1050 I loved the engine so I rather like your idea of a triple retro machine although I'd suggest a cruiser style rather than a Thunderbird "update".

4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Really don't think they need another Cruiser FB, yes the America's engine could be upsized but there is no need for another model as I think they have all the bases covered.

Basically they need to update and upsize the 1050 bring in a small bike for the sub continent and South East Asia and have a 1000 cc triple retro bike.

Other models could always do with a bit of a tweek but that would be the way forward for them but the only other bike that I would love Triumph to make (but won't ever happen) is this one.

triumph-daytona-1100-concept-rendered-e42577c6ee9e34dd7de21fa3ffaa9cc2.jpg

triumph-daytona-1100-concept-rendered-e42577c6ee9e34dd7de21fa3ffaa9cc2.jpg

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Many people will argue that Triumph are not building a litre superbike because those sort of bikes are not selling but that's not stopped the other manufacturers. BMW came from nowhere with their Super bike that produces nearly 200 BHP, look what Michael Dunlop did on that bike at this years TT. From that bike its been a reasonable easy move to produce a naked version S 1000 and there is an adventure touring version soon.

Without a 1000- 1200cc superbike Triumph do not have a high performance engine to use in other models and are quickly being left behind in the horsepower stakes. We know they can build a great sportsbike, the Daytona 675 is still a great bike and winning races. That bike has spawned the fantastic selling Street Triple and a Stroked out version of the same engine powers the Tiger 800.

I am surprised Triumph have stopped the development of their small capacity bikes, it would be a great way to get younger riders into the brand.

I hope new models are in development, I am proud to ride a British bike (although mine is probably made in Thailand!)

6. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #6 SteveJ, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    That is fair enough and yes I would like to see a litre sportsbike but you have to remember the size difference between a company like Triumph and BMW. Also BMW have a F1 R&D department with regards to engines.
    Triumph cannot justify the tens of millions of pounds that it will cost to get a bike like his up and running on their own (for the Daytona 600 to win at the TT in 2004 Valmoto spent around 3 million pounds on developing the engine alone). BMW on the other hand do have the money and the experience to do this.

the only way that they could do this is work with another company that can help like McLaren or Renault that have the experience to develop the type of engine needed to compete.

Even Honda haven't really done a great deal of development to the Fireblade since 2008 although judging by their MotoGP bikes they could make the S1000rr look rather dull if they wanted to but they stick with the old engine, no traction control or launch control or stupid switchable maps as for ordinary road riding it is a far superior bike and I would also guess that Honda would still be making a profit for the Blades where all this extra electronic stuff is seriously going to cut into your profit margin per unit and yet to still keep the total cost down of the finished unit must be difficult.

All the big bike manufactures have big backing, Ducati is now owned by Audi and I think Daimler has just brought out Bimota. It's all about the money :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #7 folkbloke, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    It's just my opinion but I think our love affair with big sports bikes are over. It seems to me that bikers are getting older and perhaps a little more sensible and the idea of owning a 160+bhp missile on our crowded and camera laden roads doesn't hold the attraction it used to. There's a bike cafe I know in Sussex where you'd be hard put to find someone under 50 these days. It also seems to me that bikes have become fashion accessories (not that they weren't before :wink:). It wasn't that long ago you couldn't move for GSs and their BMW "safari" suited riders but now retro, naked and cruisers are filling up the car parks and Davida helmets fill the tables and that's something I expect will continue for a while as I can't see big sports bikes really making a comeback anytime soon.

Triumph are already the best selling big bikes in the UK and have a well balanced range of bikes which I why I don't expect anything radical from them apart from continued development of their existing ranges (like the LT and Commander versions of the TB). No doubt they will now announce a 2 litre sports bike with more technology than your average space shuttle.....

Although the idea of smaller capacity bikes to attract younger riders and get inroads to the far east has its merits I think the competition in the far east would be too great for Triumph unless they did a deal with one of the manufacturers out there. Which is not beyond the bounds of possibility I suppose.

8. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I must admit to the fact that most of the Triumph models have passed me by. I'm into touring so have only looked at motorcycles suited to that purpose. Sports bikes, cruisers and retro bikes are not my cup of tea and I have no real interest in them. Brand loyalty is very important to me and I sincerely hope that Triumph maintain their high standards. My main wish would be for a tourer with better MPG and greater range.

9. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #9 SteveJ, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    FB as far a a completley pointless bike I think Kawasaki have managed to take first place with this new Super Charged Ninja at 300bhp for the track model I think the words Over the Top comes to mind :eek:

Yes you are right Triumph are doing well at the moment but some of their important models including the Speed Triple are due an update (last model was 2011) so possibly next year and hopefully with a new upsized engine.

PJT

With regards to the Triumph Tourers they have a very good range with the 1200 engine and also the 1050 which is still a fantastic engine for touring in the ST and the 1050 Tiger. The 1050 is just starting to get a bit outdated when it comes to the Speed Triple ect.

I know what you mean about trying to keep up with all the different models and I have actually test rode a Thunderbird Storm and a 675 Daytona just to keep in touch with what the different models are like to ride.

Cheers

Steve

• Like Like x 2
  10. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I can see where you are coming from Steve. Development has to continue for even more success. Lack of development would eventually lead to stagnation and then slump in sales.
    I have to admit to being very impressed with the Explorer XC and I am going to order one next year.

11. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Blimey! Why? Because we can :wink: What I can see in something like this is maybe smaller engines running superchargers although I'm still not convinced there is anything but a tiny market for such bikes.

I suppose I've managed to keep up with a number of the models as I try to get a different bike each time mine goes in for service and as I've been managing 2-3 services a year plus new tyres + some warranty work that means a good few bikes over the past 4 years.

I can't say I've ridden a bad one yet. The one I enjoyed the most was the TB LT with the Street Triple a close second (you couldn't get two bikes further apart!). I've not ridden any of the tourers though but that's mainly because they never seem to have any used or demo models.

I see PJT is looking at the XC. A very nice bike which I was tempted by but after spending a day with one I had to admit it was too tall for me.

12. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Did antbody else get the e mail survey about the Roadster range.Looks like there might be some exciting options coming.
    StreetTripleRange.jpg

Also some changes for the Speed(maybe) 140 bhp,soft luggage,comfort and luggage packages.
    They wanted to know about the options I'd choose keyless ignition,bluetooth,carbon fibre etc

I hope they bring in some of these models.A half faired Street with hard luggage,above 750cc and 125bhp......yes please

StreetTripleRange.jpg

13. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Interesting that they are looking at increasing the capacity for the 675. But I'm guessing that this will be 2015 as that will keep with the 4 year cycle.

With regards to the Speed Triple still think the need to look at 1150 capacity and somewhere around 145bhp + to keep up with the competition.

Interesting the option of the half faired Street, bit like what they did with the Sprint Sports in the T300 models.

Still think a retro triple model is also needed to fill a gap in the range.

14. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I agree,I think the Speed will need to be about 160bhp to be competitive.Though how much bhp you actually need is still open to debate.
    It'll need all the modes,traction control etc,but saying that Triumph has always said it won't play the numbers game and I for one hope they don't.I don't think they'll increase the Street capacity to much or it will compete with the Speed

For me a half faired road bike with hard luggage options would be ideal.And before anybody else mentions it I know there a bikes out there but nothing really floats my boat but if Triumph don't get a move on I might have to start looking elsewhere.

15. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #15 GaleForceEight, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Old shape Speedmaster looks, with the upgraded 1200 engine, belt driven, monoshock, dual front discs single rear, with cast wheels not wire. 17 inch rear 19 inch front (modicum of more rake on the front than the new "Bonneville" Speedmaster will offer)

Should be available with choice of chrome or phosphated from the peg on key finishes for a defined list of components, rather than rely on buying extra pieces and having the expense of components you never wanted in the first place.

16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just don’t skimp on the finish! Keep the build quality up!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Based on my experience of the Thruxton they should not be thinking too much about new models, but concentrate on getting the current ones right. They could start by introducing QC to the Bonneville/Thruxton production line,
    start using quality paint finishes, and spend less time and effort on peddling overpriced merchandise/accessories.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1