Triumph Tt600 Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Max_taz, Jul 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    Hi, recently swapped out my engine for a second hand one (original engine had no compression on cylinder one and was burning oil and water)

The replacement engine will start but then stalls out and won't start for a while, thinking fuel but a bit lost, (even considered trying to swap the fuel cables around as they had no markings on them and wondered if they were on backwards, although I believe they're correct, right hand pipe to red connector)

All cables are connected (I believe correctly) apart from one air pipe running to the airbox which has a 'T' coming off it I can't work out where it goes, (see pic)

Any advice gratefully recieved

20200715_114224.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    Just run tune ecu, came up with no error codes, run for 10 minutes on tickover, as soon as I gave it a blip on the throttle, it accelerated (slowly, like there was a lag) when I let the power come off it cut out?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m not too well up on the 600 but is there an idle control valve like the 955s? It’s the fan shaped unit shown in the picture with the corrugated hoses going to it.

7B07BB54-1CE2-47B7-A90F-51D828B428C4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom

Hi, Cheers for the repky, yes there is one of them, but this pipe runs from the airbox to the ecu at the back of the bike, but has a T joint about 6 inches from the airbox, I really can't see what it joins too?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    That’ll be the barometric pressure pipe to give the ECU a reading I think.
    On my 955 there’s no T in that pipe, it just goes straight between the ECU to an elbow which pushes into a grommet on the back of the airbox.
    I can’t see that it’ll make a difference if it is that.

Did you do a throttle body balance when you’d put it all together?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  6. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom

No, just doing some reading it appears I should reset the TPS is this the same thing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    No, you do the TPS reset after doing a TB balance, and then a fuel adaptation reset.
    You’ll need a set of vacuum gauges to do the balance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    Just read up on it, will sort it tomorrow, thanks for the assistance, this is my first efi engine and I didn't think I'd be using my balancer on it, cheers max

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    That's cool, I've got a set of balancers, thought those days were past with no carbs on the bike, oh well, will sort it tomorrow, thanks for the info, will post up how it goes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Presuming this engine has MAP sensor if the tube is going to the air-box which is not the best position for MAP as its subject to fluctuations from three cylinders (best fitted to a common plenum ) so fueling will be a average of the three cylinders MAP probably explains the reputation for dodgy running.

Fueling should be basically MAP vacuum vs TPS vs RPM so once you have the intakes balanced and TPS setting correct you should be good to go...idle control will be dependent on TPS being set correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    Thanks for all your help, balanced and reset tps and it's running like a dream

• Like Like x 3
  12. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    Thanks for all your help, balanced and reset tps and it's running like a dream

• Like Like x 1
  13. Max_taz

Max_taz Member

Jul 15, 2020
    United kingdom
    Thanks for all your help, running like a dream

20200716_170424.jpg

• Like Like x 6