Triumph Tr7 Sticking Clutch Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Keve, Aug 1, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Keve

Keve New Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Tasmania
    I am in the process of trying to correct a sticking clutch which occurs during times of the bike sitting idle, of which would seem has been an issue during the time with previous owner! The only way to stop this is to tie the clutch lever to the handlebar. The bike is a 1982 TR7T which has had 7 new steel plates and 6 new Kevlar clutch plates fitted. These were sourced as recommended to alleviate sticking Clutch issues, to no avail. I have now removed the plates and noticed at the rear inside of the clutch drum are pads of clutch fibre, See Pic. All pictures I have seen the drum does not contain those pads. I am guessing this is this the difference between pre 79 which apparently had clutch sticking issues, and supposedly issue cured in the post models! ......yet I never had a stuck clutch problem on my 78 TR7RV!
    (yes Kevlar plates soaked in new oil prior install)
    OR am I missing something here :confused:, or rather have I gained something that should not be present.
    any help would be appreciated.
    Keve

Clutch Drum.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I assume you have changed the oil, if not that may help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Keve

Keve New Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Tasmania
    It has had three oil changes…….10/30 and 20/50 as per manufactures workshop manual.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Keve
    Never seen one with those pads and suspect someone has added them. Why now convert to the 7 plate clutch. And the racing boys have an additive they use for clutches but i have forgot what its called now.
    Joe

5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I had the same issue, I tried all manner of different things in order to alleviate the problem, in the end I "bit the bullet" so to speak and bought a complete clutch from SRM, not cheap at almost £600, however it solved the issue and was a 1 finger clutch operating lever from then onwards. One issue with the old clutch was condensation from being laid up for a few weeks, this stuck the plates and in turn caused gear change issues, after scores of times stripping and re assembling the clutch I had enough hence the SRM clutch purchase. I also went for ATF fluid in the chain-case.

• Like Like x 2
  6. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    You know chaps the triumph clutch is classed as a dry plate clutch and the oil is in fact only to lubricate the chain. So don't over fill.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Keve

Keve New Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Tasmania
    Its not been converted Joe, it is a 1982 model fitted seven plate clutch from factory.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Keve

Keve New Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Tasmania
    Not going to get into an long drawn out dispute but according to the Triumph Workshop Manual and I quote 'The clutch is designed to work in oil and this is automatically catered for in conjunction with the engine oiling system", which in turn lubricates the primary chain, so technically a wet clutch!:confused:
    Thanks for your reply

• Like Like x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Keve
    Sure no dispute or argument this side. You will get it eventually and you bike will be fantastic. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show of the beastie here in the asylum.
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Iron

Iron Guest

#10 Iron, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2021
    From 1981 onwards Triumph tried to reduce the pull required on the clutch by using a 7 plate system. The friction plate thickness were reduced to allow the additional plate so to give extra friction they stuck the friction surfaces on the inside of the clutch basket - like yours Keve.
    Spares for these are pretty hard to find these days.
    Rather than try to boil, clean, straighten what you have, go get yourself a new clutch basket and new clutch plates, you'll need a whole set, including the plain plates. But you should be ok using the centre, pressure plate, rod etc. Go for one of the new type 7 plate set ups as they aren't an awful lot dearer than the traditional 6 plate. You can then use the 650 springs.
    Soak it all in oil overnight and whack it all in (get one of the nice new shiny ally pressure plates as they do look sexy).
    You'll be bombing around in no time.

After 1969 the oil seal between the crankcase and the primary was removed. Three small holes were also introduced to allow the oil in the primary/clutch side to 'self level' from the engine oil. Engine oil therefore lubricates the primary chain and the clutch so no need for anything other than engine oil in the primary side. Over....

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Keve

Keve New Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Tasmania
    Decided time to move it on.

Tigrt trail.jpg

Tiger Trail2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Keve
    It sure is a lovely piece of machinery. I love it. If we were closer i would love to have it of of you. Bet its quite rare now a days.
    Joe

13. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I had a slightly different sort of TR7. Coincidentally it also had a clutch problem, in my case the problem was that you could put your foot through the floor under the pedal!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2